Re: World war books

Postby deetz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:00 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0140283 ... 295&sr=8-2
Anne Applebaum - Gulag: A History of the Soviet Camps

Really interesting read.

STuG

Postby STuG » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:59 pm

Jez wrote:Im definitely going to get a separate book in the pacific conflict as so far that's been really interesting to read.

Hello Jez,

i am not sure if your interests are still aflame for the period as this thread is a few months old, but if you are still looking for something to read regarding the war against the Japanese, please consider "Road of Bones: The Epic Siege of Kohima 1944" & "Defeat Into Victory"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Bones-Epic ... 715&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Defeat-Into-Vic ... pd_sim_b_3

The second book "Defeat Into Victory,"was written by Field Marshal the Viscount Slim, commander of the British 14th Army in Burma and one of the architects of the Japanese defeat. He lead it to success in perhaps the most inhospitable Theatre of the war. Moreover he achieved this with arguably less support and resources than any other Allied commander in the field due to the 'Germany first' mantra of the time.

The campaign in Burma is almost criminally forgotten by most in the UK. Certainly Imphal & Kohima should be as well known as Waterloo and Trafalgar, Normandy and El Alamein...but alas collective amnesia has preveiled.
Last edited by STuG on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:24 am

Welcome to the forum, STuG.

STuG

Postby STuG » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:55 am

Many thanks for the welcome, longtime lurker who has enjoyed the place.

Finally joined up to dip a toe or two in the balmy waters.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:56 pm

yep welcome mister and thanks for the book recommend!!

make sure to stick around :)

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon May 27, 2013 6:05 pm

Finished all hell let loose some months ago, that was pretty good and varied reading. I'm currently about 450 pages into Anthony Beevors D-Day, that's kind of a slog...it's all very this or that batallion attacked that there hill or village and and it jumps about in that's fashion a lot. Occasionally it dips away from the factual events and goes into the thoughts and actions of individuals varying from hitler, Patton, monty and the like to the lowly soldiers and french folk. Those moments are few but are well worth reading.

Might read his book on Stalingrad though as that did seem the melting pot that turned the war as horrific as that battle environment must have been. Only trouble is I found the eastern front hard to read about due to a lot of the names being un fucking pronounceable and weren't sticking in my memory. Maybe though this will be more focussed and it'll stick better.

All the same having read these books I have learned so much more, much much more about this period that realistically changed the world and shaped it into what we have today. Although I work in a wholely military world it's amazing the ignorance and shrouding that forces in general are about all of this.

Might be that I'm just getting old and crusty having said that :)

STuG

Postby STuG » Wed May 29, 2013 12:03 pm

Jez wrote:All the same having read these books I have learned so much more, much much more about this period that realistically changed the world and shaped it into what we have today. Although I work in a wholely military world it's amazing the ignorance and shrouding that forces in general are about all of this.

Hello Jez,

you should really dip a toe into British Imperial history, especially considering where you are deployed at the moment. The fourth time we have been there since 1839.

The deeds and feats of arms accomplished are staggering at times during the high watermark of Victoria's reign across the globe.

As an aside, doesn't your Regiment reference its past history any more?

:shock:

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed May 29, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm in the navy though i serve alot with the army on land. but even so, I have found that on reading these books theres a wealth of difference between what you are told as part of corps/unit/service history and what actually happened. Obviously the positive aspects are recounted but not much on the negative things. Understandable I guess.

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Thu May 30, 2013 12:28 am

I read All Hell Let Loose and finished it off in no time... thoroughly compelling and informative read. I couldn't imagine a much more comprehensive and engaging overview of WW2.
katarn wrote:Oh yeah! I agree with Banapaulo. 8)

STuG

Postby STuG » Thu May 30, 2013 9:12 am

Jez wrote:I'm in the navy.

Ah... the Senior Service. Now the avatar makes perfect sense!

A good seller of books with a mind boggling array of titles and time periods can be found here.

http://www.naval-military-press.com/

Another very good publisher is 'Helion'.

http://www.helion.co.uk/general-miscell ... story.html

Plenty to keep you occupied.

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:44 pm

banapaulo wrote:I read All Hell Let Loose and finished it off in no time... thoroughly compelling and informative read. I couldn't imagine a much more comprehensive and engaging overview of WW2.

Really? I thought parts of it were dragged out and given too much info whilst other arguably more important events where glossed over. Particularly in the chapters about the pacific theatre.

I'll be getting his new one about WW1 though: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0007 ... d_i=468294

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:40 am

Two I have read, although a little while ago now are both memoirs from WW2. Both from the perspective of the Germans. The first:-

Panzer Commander: The Memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck

Hans von Luck was a Protégé of Rommel, Rommel was his commander while he was going through officer training. He served under him in North Africa and Normandy.

The second one:-

Panzer Leader by Heinz Guderian

Guderian needs no introduction, he is the man who invented blitzkrieg. His book starts before WW2 and goes through the difficulties of persuading the hierarchy of his theory and then onto the war itself.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:27 pm

Just bought Somme Mud

After listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History series on WW1 and the horror of the Somme I decided to buy this. Written by a Private who survived the Somme and went home to write about it to trey and get some sense out of it. Not started yet, but I can't wait for it.

STuG

Postby STuG » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:33 pm

For those interested in WW1 i can heartily recommend 'Mud, Blood and Poppycock' by Gordon Corrigan a few copies are on Amazon at the moment for princely sum of £0.01p plus postage.

Hard cover no less too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... d&sr=&qid=

An essential read and rebuttal to the 'Lion led by Donkeys' mythos which has become many peoples accepted version of the period.

His 'Sepoys in the Trenches' is a good introduction to Indians on the western front too.

Previous

Return to Music and Literature