Stormbringer & Subway Diet's Metal Compendium

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Adalaar
Augmented

Re: What are you listening to now?

Postby Adalaar » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:36 pm

cHeal wrote: I don't care one way or another whether GamerGate is all white or all black migrant transgender midget. .

deetz

Postby deetz » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:28 pm

Snowy wrote:
deetz wrote:Links, Snowy, LINKS!!! Make full use of the youtube tags!

Linkied.

Enjoy :mrgreen:

I thank you. Quite enjoying them. Going to have to give them more of a listen tomorrow.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Snowy wrote:I tried, I really did, but I love Opeth for what they produce and what the produced with Heritage just wasn't an Opeth record for me.

Opeth are (for me) about epic, intricate metal; gentle melodic phrases juxtaposed with thunderous blastbeats and riffing; clean vocals alongside growling. Many people point to Damnation with contempt as it was their 'mellow' album, and I loved that, but I just don't love this faux-70's Prog album.

It is just too weak. The songs meander along, drifting seemingly aimlessly between pointless musical whifflings and, at best, light rocky riffs. They lack structure overall I feel, and the album also contains several songs that fall into the filler category, a complaint I couldnt level at any of their previous releases. The absence of growled vocals is a shame too - the worlds best death metal vocalist and he has decided he doesnt want to do death metal vocals any more :(

I won't even mention the jazz flute! Oh wait, I did...

There are redeeming moments, but too few and far between for me to really view this as an Opeth album at all, almost all of the trademark features are missing and it is like listening to a different band. My tastes tend towards the brutally heavy, and Opeth were the band that managed to absolutely nail the sweet spot in my musical taste, but Heritage missed the mark completely for me.

I think Åkerfeldt is concerned about the damage growling might do to his voice - it certainly sounded a little off at the RAH gig. Seeing the setlist for the forthcoming tour (that I have tickets for), there is not one growling track on there. Makes me wonder if the quantum shift in their sound is a response to that concern, but the direction they have taken is not for me.

What did you make of it, out of interest?

In many ways I agree but I'm not sure Opeth are capable of making a truly bad album. Their more mellow side has always been my favourite aspect of their music, Damnation and Blackwater Park have some truly stunning mellower songs on, but I do get the sense that this isn't quite as good as it could be. There's a trend at the moment amongst many of my favourite bands to go back to their 70s prog influences and I think most of them are really missing the mark somewhat, it didn't work too well for Pain of Salvation when they really lost their edge on the latest album. I think it's disappointing in the sense that there are some weak tracks on the album when you can normally safely assume every song will be excellent with this band, but in no way is it a generally dreadful album.

I'm not against their idea of writing mellower tracks without the growling but they really need to get the song writing quality back up to the standard of Damnation before they can make another classic.

Also; currently addicted to Porcupine Tree. Or at least, the least four albums. I still haven't gotten round to listening to all their earlier work.

RCHD

Postby RCHD » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:26 am

Snowy wrote:I tried, I really did, but I love Opeth for what they produce and what the produced with Heritage just wasn't an Opeth record for me.

Opeth are (for me) about epic, intricate metal; gentle melodic phrases juxtaposed with thunderous blastbeats and riffing; clean vocals alongside growling. Many people point to Damnation with contempt as it was their 'mellow' album, and I loved that, but I just don't love this faux-70's Prog album.

It is just too weak. The songs meander along, drifting seemingly aimlessly between pointless musical whifflings and, at best, light rocky riffs. They lack structure overall I feel, and the album also contains several songs that fall into the filler category, a complaint I couldnt level at any of their previous releases. The absence of growled vocals is a shame too - the worlds best death metal vocalist and he has decided he doesnt want to do death metal vocals any more :(

I won't even mention the jazz flute! Oh wait, I did...

There are redeeming moments, but too few and far between for me to really view this as an Opeth album at all, almost all of the trademark features are missing and it is like listening to a different band. My tastes tend towards the brutally heavy, and Opeth were the band that managed to absolutely nail the sweet spot in my musical taste, but Heritage missed the mark completely for me.

I think Åkerfeldt is concerned about the damage growling might do to his voice - it certainly sounded a little off at the RAH gig. Seeing the setlist for the forthcoming tour (that I have tickets for), there is not one growling track on there. Makes me wonder if the quantum shift in their sound is a response to that concern, but the direction they have taken is not for me.

What did you make of it, out of interest?

I absolutely agree with pretty much every point you just made. Save the fact that over the last year I've actually been listening to much more softer and and relaxed music. I kinda thought Heritage would fit with my current trends but it just doesn't. It's not even a good example of what it's trying to be, as Damnation managed to be. I also bought tickets in advance of the new tour and I'm feeling a little uneasy about it now, actually.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:53 am

Catchy.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:25 pm

Mantis wrote:In many ways I agree but I'm not sure Opeth are capable of making a truly bad album. Their more mellow side has always been my favourite aspect of their music, Damnation and Blackwater Park have some truly stunning mellower songs on, but I do get the sense that this isn't quite as good as it could be. There's a trend at the moment amongst many of my favourite bands to go back to their 70s prog influences and I think most of them are really missing the mark somewhat, it didn't work too well for Pain of Salvation when they really lost their edge on the latest album. I think it's disappointing in the sense that there are some weak tracks on the album when you can normally safely assume every song will be excellent with this band, but in no way is it a generally dreadful album.

I'm not against their idea of writing mellower tracks without the growling but they really need to get the song writing quality back up to the standard of Damnation before they can make another classic.

Also; currently addicted to Porcupine Tree. Or at least, the least four albums. I still haven't gotten round to listening to all their earlier work.

Don't get me wrong Mantis, I don't believe it is a bad album, I just don't feel that it qualifies as an Opeth album.

The musicianship is superb as ever, but they have stepped away from the extreme metal element that is, to me, such a key part of their overall sound, and I think they have lost something in so doing. The songs are all fairly short by Opeth standards, and the album as a whole doesn't have the coherent feel that their previous releases have had. The meandering interludes that work so well in their earlier releases just don't have any context in Heritage, and it also feels like that have worked through a prog checklist making the album. Mellotron, check. Piano, check. Flute, check. Oh, and lets cram in a tribute to Dio halfway in, that feels crowbarred in rather than a natural fit.

While Damnation is an excellent album in it's own right though, dropping the death metal growled vocals altogether is another area where I think they lose something. The counterpoint to Damnation was the fantastically heavy Deliverance, and I always looked at the two as a double album that was never released as such.

I suppose as well that at heart I am born heavy - more metal than Barry Sheene's legs - and so this just doesn't cut it. Prog generally I find a self-indulgent posturing mess, musical masturbation more akin to bragging than music. Kind of the musical equivalent to haute cuisine - if you don't 'get' it then it is due to your poor palate rather than any inherent failing on the part of the musician. Opeth never fell into this trap with their earlier materials but they have with Heritage.

More than anything else I am devastated that a band that for as long as I have been a fan (a very long time now) could do no wrong have made such a seismic shift into a musical style that leaves me cold.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

j1nh

Postby j1nh » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:11 pm

I have a few Opeth albums but I've never managed to get into them seriously. Great musicians and awsesome live, probably, but basing my opinion on recorded stuff they seem a bit overated. To me they do seem self indulgent. Just as they're building up to some crushingly heavy awesomeness they'll meander off into tinky winky land.
Not heard the new one yet, maybe I'll actually like it better. A bit of jazz is never a bad thing. :wink:

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:16 pm

So fucking 80s it shits in pastel colours.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Been getting back into Vangelis lately. So much awesome:

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:50 am

Have you heard his early Heaven and Hell album? I really like it, especially the second part:

The Blade Runner soundtrack is probably one of my favourite albums. Incredibly atmospheric.

I've been rekindling my love with PJ Harvey recently (sadly not literal), just got Is This Desire?:

katarn wrote:Oh yeah! I agree with Banapaulo. 8)

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:16 am

This at the minute, waiting for the double album it comes from to turn up

and then there's always this:

this:

und finally this:

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Now THAT is what Opeth should sound like!

katarn

Postby katarn » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:14 pm

banapaulo wrote:Have you heard his early Heaven and Hell album? I really like it, especially the second part:

I have. And it is brilliant.

I'm surprised he hasn't done more film soundtracks - his 1492 work is amazing, made a pretty average film a lot more watchable.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Michael Wilmslow does Led Zeppelin

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:53 pm

That is incredible.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature