Stormbringer & Subway Diet's Metal Compendium

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Mantis
Admin

Re: Stormbringer & Subway Diet's Metal Compendium

Postby Mantis » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:35 am

Ohh. Sub always delivers. Will get on this when I'm home from work.

Also, new Opeth and Alcest albums are out today so I'm going to be swinging in to HMV to pick those up too. Was going to just get Alcest off Bandcamp to get easier FLAC access but the artwork for the new album is so great I just have to have a physical copy.

Very excited for Alcest, the previews have all been amazing. Not so bothered about Opeth, but here's hoping they build more on the last album and not so much on Heritage.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:10 am

I enjoyed Opeth's latest title track, haven't been hooked by the other two though. Also, I like Heritage...

Need to look more into new Alcest, got a couple of their earlier albums and they're pretty great.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:48 pm

Well, the new Alcest album is one of their best yet. Absolutely beautiful album, not a single weak track.

And from what I've heard of Opeth's new record from track previews it sounds like Sorceress is a cracking piece of work too.

This is going to be a good weekend.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:55 pm

It's going to be a very good weekend. New Opeth is also fantastic.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:28 pm

Love the new Opeth. It's dividing people looking for Blackwater Park but I admire them for trying to be different. And the fact the album was recorded about 8 or 9 miles away. A Fleeting Glance is my current fave.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:56 am

I am also thoroughly enjoying the new Opeth album, if only it were an Opeth album.

Fair enough, they want to record what they want to record, and it is a fantastic album in it's own right, but it is not the band that I love. For me they were all about duality, the transitions between intricate melody and crushing heaviness, clean and growled vocals, and I miss that with every new album they release.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:22 pm

Hey. Reign in Blood turned 30 recently.

Giving it a spin and, man, it's still so good.
I'm sure slayer snobs turn their noses up at it, but Angel of Death, man. Holy crap! Opening with that belter and close with Raining Blood is enough to pull up some of the slightly awesome tracks. It's pretty much spiked boot to ass for the entire 29 minutes.

Flip your horns and be thankful! :twisted:
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:57 am

Having been born in 1970, Reign in Blood was one of the seminal albums of my life.

Back in the day, non-mainstream metal used to be hideously difficult to get hold of (basically if your tastes went beyond Dio, Maiden, Sabbath, Led Zep, Rainbow etc you were fucked). I used to get tapes sent from underground fanzines (you bought a postal order, sent it to a PO box number, and hoped) to get the latest from Kreator, Celtic Frost, Sepultura, Voivod, Possessed and the like. I wish I still had some of these, they would probably be collectors items.

I used to make regular trips to the Rock Box in Camberley, but also Shades in London. This was the metal Mecca of the time, a huge metal-only record store in a basement in an alleyway off Wardour Street, not far from the old Marquee club. One such pilgramage was to pick up the new album by Slayer - on vinyl of course (the choice being vinyl or cassette).

Bought it, read the lyrics and thankyou notes on the inner sleeve on the train journey home, then finally put the disk on the turntable. From the opening scream of Angel of Death to the last notes of Raining Blood, the album burned itself into my psyche. I remember being amazed how quickly the album was over - here was 45 minutes of music played in under 30. I went to 2 gigs on the Reign in Blood tour that supported the album release, and came home both times with my mind completely blown, not only had they recorded this incredible album but they then proceeded to bludgeon the crowds with it live.

It was a milestone album for metal, and makes me feel slightly less bad to be an old git that I was there to see it 'born'.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:15 pm

Watched Luke Cage on Netflix, which put me in the mood for a bit of soul and dub.

Also finally got round to watching my Devin at the Albert Hall BR. Nice to relive the moment, it was one hell of a show.

His voice sounds so massive on this track at about 50 seconds in. Seriously impressive, wish he'd done it on the album. His vocals for that whole gig were totally bang on.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:00 am

Have re-watched that gig several times myself, and you are right his voice is absolutely perfect throughout.

Have you been watching the DTP vlogs on YouTube? They give a great insight into the workings of the band on tour and the various characters within the band as well as the supporting cast of all the crew. I have been making sure I catch each of them daily, as well as bits and bobs of their live-streamed gigs. They have been streaming loads of them, and 'go on stage' time in the US seems to correspond nicely with 'get ready for work' time for me, so have been bimbling around the house getting ready with the DTP streaming live on my phone.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:21 am

I've been following the tour diary yeah, it's quite interesting to see how things work behind the scenes. The little snippets of interviews with Dev where he's making everyone rancid juice are always hilarious.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:02 am

I've only watched the entire DVD once so far, but I've watched that video of From Sleep Awake many times. In fact, it's one that I use to show people the power of his music whenever I'm introducing them to his work (usually when I'm drunk).

It's perfection.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:46 am

Just popping in to ruin the Devin lovefest:

*Insert LARP/D&D joke here*
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:14 am

Nobody'll give a fuck, but this new Anaal Nathrakh album is so good!

Holy shiiiit! I worried they were putting their best foot forward for the singles, but the deeper I get into the disk, the more it keeps kicking my ass!
Will keep spinning it through out the day. Need to dig in deep!

(If I was to criticise anything, I'd say it's pretty damn loud. My fault for not buying vinyl, really. Will just have to lose dynamic range for convenience. :-k )
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:13 am

Subway Diet wrote:Just popping in to ruin the Devin lovefest:

*Insert LARP/D&D joke here*

I just can't do this sort of thing. It could be the very finest metal ever to be crafted, but the lyrics and outfits just kill it stone dead for me.

It probably reflects quite poorly on me tbh (I have both RPG'd and LARP'd in my time) but my brain just knee-jerks to the negative on anything themed this way. Viking metal I can dig (mild discomfort in the subject matter but at least it is cool), death and satan are just fine as topics (although I do prefer a little grey matter to be used lyrically) but anything vaguely dungeons and dragons is inherently not the least edgy and therefore not for me.

Shallow and judgemental? Check.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature