Stormbringer & Subway Diet's Metal Compendium

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Subway Diet

Re: Stormbringer & Subway Diet's Metal Compendium

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:37 pm

I'm no big fan of Sabaton, but I had to get their latest album.

C'mon! I've lived in the shadow of the Wallace Monument most of my life and have recently moved to Bannockburn. How could I not? :D

And the rest of the album seems pretty good as well. I appreciate a pumped up, boisterous sing-along power metal album where the songs are all under 4 minutes.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:34 pm

Sabaton are one of those bands who put out so much material that all sounds very samey. I feel like their songwriting process involves just writing as many identical sounding riffs and vocal melodies as possible until they find some really great ones, then filling the rest of the album with the junk.

Some of their best material is power metal at it's greatest, but I always find that every album has maybe one or two stand out tracks and the rest is never listened to again.

They're great live too, always put together a good setlist of all their best tracks.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:02 pm

Was this close to buying a few more of their albums, but came to the same conclusion. I'm enjoying this one enough that I probably shouldn't dilute it with more of their stuff (though I hear that Carolus Rex is meant to be pretty good).

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:10 pm

Actually, perhaps I just think that because that's how their latest albums have sounded to me. Maybe they're running out of ideas? Losing almost all their original lineup at once probably didn't help.

Their first 3 or 4 albums are actually pretty solid all the way through. Primo Victoria is definitely the best though, and that was their first, I would recommend getting that above anything else.

Carolus Rex was alright, less classic tracks than Primo or Coat of Arms though.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:31 am

Yeah, I'll just stick with the new one then. The version I got came with a live DVD, which is the closest thing to a "best of", I guess.

Not quite off my power metal kick, but I've given some more time to the new Inquisition. A hard shift from upbeat and triumphant indeed.

Their guitar work continues to be mesmerising, for a lack of a better word.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:45 am

Oh man. That Inquisition track is one of those times where it felt like I was hearing vocals, only to realise later that it's instrumental. :shock:

Well, nobody has uploaded the Twilight Force remix that has been sustaining me for the past few days, so I took matter in to my own hands:

Now, I'm not sure what the average Power Metal fan looks like these days, but I'm sure more than a few were spinning in their seats upon hearing this. :lol:

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:42 pm

Things just got interesting!
Assemblage 23 dropped an album out of the blue. Holy crap. Feels like we've got a real fight come end of the year list. :P

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:24 pm

Just started spinning the new Devin Townsend.

Can't say anything about it yet other than, being a massive fan of Infinity, I had the weirdest nostalgia rush with that first track. :o

Edit: But yeah, this one is going to need a few listens to figure out. He's in one of his dense proggy moods again. :-k

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:58 pm

Do you have the deluxe edition? The second disc is far more straight forward in terms of fast paced rock tracks. I almost prefer it to the main album. The first disc sounds absolutely glorious in full HQ on my system though, so much better than the leaked copy I had.

Also it has a rerecorded version of Victim off of Physicist on there, so that gives you a hint at how the rest of the disc is styled.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:37 am

Mantis wrote:Do you have the deluxe edition? The second disc is far more straight forward in terms of fast paced rock tracks. I almost prefer it to the main album. The first disc sounds absolutely glorious in full HQ on my system though, so much better than the leaked copy I had.

Also it has a rerecorded version of Victim off of Physicist on there, so that gives you a hint at how the rest of the disc is styled.

I am in exactly the same place as you Dave, exactly. Preference leaning towards the second disc of demos, although listening to the 'proper' version of the main album rather than the rip is so much better. I am much happier with this than I was with Z2 too, I found Dark Matters pretty underwhelming, and Sky Blue wasn't his best work either.

I have really enjoyed their 'making of Transcendence' series on Youtube too.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:30 am

Warming up a little to the main disk. It has it's moments, though it feels like there's a bit of a slog between them. Honestly, if I had to pick between this and Sky Blue, I'd go for the latter. Not suprising considering Addicted and Epicloud have been my favorite DTP albums so far.

And, much like Terminator Genisys, a reference to Infinity right out the gate just makes me want to listen to that album instead. :o

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:56 pm

Snowy wrote:
Mantis wrote:Do you have the deluxe edition? The second disc is far more straight forward in terms of fast paced rock tracks. I almost prefer it to the main album. The first disc sounds absolutely glorious in full HQ on my system though, so much better than the leaked copy I had.

I am in exactly the same place as you Dave, exactly. Preference leaning towards the second disc of demos, although listening to the 'proper' version of the main album rather than the rip is so much better. I am much happier with this than I was with Z2 too, I found Dark Matters pretty underwhelming, and Sky Blue wasn't his best work either.

I have really enjoyed their 'making of Transcendence' series on Youtube too.

Did you listen to the raw version of Dark Matters without all of the narration, Ian? If you just listen to it as a set of standard tracks and ignore the awful Ziltoid story it's actually a really solid album, one of my favourites actually. Some of the writing on there is about almost on the level of Deconstruction in terms of how technical and intense it is, it's just not quite as outright aggressive.

I don't think I'd be able to pick a favourite between Addicted, Epicloud, Sky Blue, Dark Matters and Transcendence though. They all have a similar vibe and their fair share of absolutely fantastic tracks, though some are more consistent than others.

To be honest if I had to pick a favourite I'd probably choose Ki. -_-

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:10 am

Checking out the AMG picks of the month. Already know that Inquisition is awesome, but was surprised to have found myself getting into Darkher.

I'm also in agreement about the brutal death metal guys they gave a nod to. It's one of those genres where a band has got to really kick some ass to impress. From what little I've heard, they seem to be doing such.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:14 pm

So, I was wondering about the new Anaal Nathrakh album.
Their last experimented with a lot of hardcore electro sounds. When the "old school" fans threw a shit fit, I wondered if they'd keep those elements...

Well that answered my question. :shock:

I can tell I'm the only one giving a shit about this but, goodness me, I'm really excited for this album.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:30 am

Did some more poking around for Doom Soundtrack-esque music. Came across Tyrant of Death.

Groovy electro-industrial metal with a bit of a subtle geek streak to it. So, a good few movie/anime/video game references.

Working through the discography, but it's showing a lot of promise so far.
If you want to give it a shot - http://tyrantofdeath.tumblr.com/ to download the first 11(!) releases for free. The rest are on Bandcamp
Last edited by Subway Diet on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature