The Painted Man - Demon trilogy - Peter V. Brett

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Jez

The Painted Man - Demon trilogy - Peter V. Brett

Postby Jez » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:01 pm

Well I picked this up a few months ago and didnt get round to reading it till this week due to reading the First law trilogy.

So glad i remembered i had it though. I have to be honest i was a bit worn out with the dark fantasy setting after reading the first law trilogy and really fancied getting into some sci-fi but i ended up starting on The Painted Man out of curiousity.

Really very good, i havent put it down since starting and i was reading it until 3am in bed last night. Excellently written, really quite gritty in places and the characters are really holding my interest. Im about halfway through this now after first starting it 2 days ago.

I would say if your a fan of Abercrombies First Law and his style of writing then this Trilogy should appeal also.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Painted-Man-Dem ... 0007276133

i tried looking for a previous entry on this here at PW but i couldnt see one if theres another then dont mind me - im getting old.

The Snot Goblin

Postby The Snot Goblin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Loved the First Law Trilogy (And Best Served Cold); so I'll definitely put this one on my list.
I am going to eat Spaceman paninis with black Hitler and there is nothing you can do about it!

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:19 pm

I didnt rate Best served cold as much as first law - something about the main character annoyed me and i could never put a finger on it as i read the book. The premise was great but the book felt rushed or something. I see hes got another one out "the heroes" but that just looks like an extended rehash of the northern wars from the first law books. Dunno. First law was great though.

anyways you'll not go wrong with the Painted Man. Really fresh book.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:25 pm

I agree Jez, Best Served Cold lacked....something.

It also did feel rushed, and like you I didnt really gel with the characters in the same way I did with Logan and co in TFL.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:58 pm

Well this Painted man book keeps getting better and better for me. Just bought the next in series as im nearly finished this one.

Yodith

Postby Yodith » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:33 am

I read the first book and thought it was okay. Just okay. Not sure if I'm going to read the second or not.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:01 pm

I picked up the first one via the Amazon Kindle app on my iphone - I like having a book on there to read when I am stuck in traffic, walking the dog etc.

I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed what I have read up to now - not sure about the similarity to Abercrombie, but an enjoyable read nonetheless. I keep finding myself looking forward to 10 minutes of delay, so I can grab a few more pages worth.

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Best served cold was so nihilistic that i can understand the lack of character sympathy. Whereas the first law broke you into the bleak pointlessness slowly and had, in a perverse way, "heroes" or at least characters that weren't wholly detestable BSC picked up right where Last argument of kings left off and never made much of an attempt to break readers in. Its an interesting concept and i liked the book but it certainly wasn't escapism and did feel a lot like something put out between bigger projects.

I enjoyed the Painted Man, felt it had a lot of promise. The second one was a bit of a dissapointment.
Someone on Westeros put it best when the said he wrote "like Terry Brooks trying to write a Joe Abercrombie novel". There's this uncomfortable mix of young adult style writing and tone combined with very dark events and a sort of immature prurience that don't sit well together. His cheap use of rape for example felt distasteful. Its rather constant use as a plot device almost felt like it was supposed to be titillating and when you put it next to his one handed writing of Leesha, who goes on a rather jarring erotic journey (rape is ok 'cause its a different culture like???).
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/to ... r-v-brett/
I'm not doing a very good job articulating what i mean. I think that thread explains it better.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:25 pm

I know what you mean - I have just started the second book, but I felt his style was awkward when dealing with anything sexual towards the end of the first.

Leesha being raped and then within the space of a heartbeat getting jiggy with the Painted Man did not ring true, and her thought process as a (barring the rape) virgin of 'hes hard, I'm wet, rock and fuckin roll' was equally awkward.

It read like an awkward teenager had written it, destroying any empathy you had with her character. Shame, as other than that element, I thought the book was superb.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:19 am

Read part 1 and 2 and really enjoyed them, I think part 3 is out this year sometime. I also heard a nasty rumor that Paul (the man who turns gold to shit) Anderson has the film rights for it, but not 100% on that.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:41 pm

I am not bothered by how Hollywood rape the story tbh, books > film every time.

Thoroughly enjoying book 2 at the moment.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: The Painted Man - Demon trilogy - Peter V. Brett

Postby Snowy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:10 pm

For those who are interested, the third book is now out. The Daylight War was released last week, and now graces my Kindle. Review forthcoming, although I am re-reading the Desert Spear (book 2) to get my mind caught back up to the story.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:47 am

OK, my review: Skip this one.

More reasons available if anyone wants them, ask if you do.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:34 pm

the first book didn't grip me much as i recall.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:45 am

The whole story is just unravelling rather than progressing. Indeed in this book the plot is barely advanced at all, instead there are several large flashbacks to inconsequential characters like Inevera, long passages of exposition rammed down your throat, and some of the most painfully crass sex scenes ever committed to text.

Having one character sashay out onto a balcony after a session and getting a description of spaff leaking down her leg as she does so - sorry what? Brett seems torn between elevating his main characters to virtual godhood (the painted man can now fly, dematerialise, teleport, heal any injury and has the strength of the hulk) a la David Eddings and creating the letters page from Razzle.

I derived brief flashes of enjoyment - occasionally there are signs of a good story trying to break out - but largely this is just pap.

Return to Music and Literature