Re: Comic Recommendations Thread

Postby deetz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Got these two for Christmas. The Unwritten

and

Saga

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:03 am

I've heard good things about The Unwritten but never picked it up - Is it secret is it safe?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:58 pm

Is it finished yet? I stopped reading at around issue 20 odd.

deetz

Postby deetz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:25 pm

Its just the 1st volume of them that I've got but looks like there are at least 6 volumes out so far. Not got round to reading it yet as I'm still reading Steven Erikson's latest book.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:04 am

Feeling all a bit nostalgic I've gone and ordered the first 3 volumes of the Charley's War comics. A comic aimed at kids that was utterly brutal in its realistic portrayal of war, you'd never see the like of it today. Loved it and can't wait to read it again.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:43 pm

Read The Walking Dead compendium over the space of a couple of days. Not the most detailed comic I've ever read but it captures the feel of the TV series brilliantly while not simply being a retread (for me, given I watched the show first) of what's already been aired. The second compendium arrived today so now I'm into real uncharted territory as the TV series ended right at the end of first. The main thing the TV show outright beats the comic on is the characterisation of the Governor, who is more of a mere comic book villian.

A few words on the medium itself: I downloaded a comic app for my tablet with the intention of reading my way through Deadpool and it's made it abundantly clear that there's a definite line between comics and graphic novels. Before I'd read things like Watchmen, Maus, a bit of Sandman, even some old AvP books, all of which I'd consider graphic novels given that they can be fairly easily collected into one book and have a beginning, middle, and an end. Comics on the other hand (and I've read more than Deadpool which is obviously not high brow) seem to be more about wanking over their own convoluted canon to the point it's almost impenetrable to get into some series without having to read through years worth of comics, many of which are hard to track down. That's only if you're fortunate enough to even find a definite starting point rather than a thousand retcons and reboots. And the price! No wonder comic book nerds don't have girlfriends or social lives, if you've got paper on the shelves you'd be hard pressed to afford anything else! Which might be OK if it weren't for the fact that you can wander through a couple of hundred pages easily in one sitting it's like pissing money away.

In any case, I've downloaded all of The Sandman and loving it so far, and reading through the couple of comics Deadpool appeared in before he got his own series, which hopefully once I begin that won't rely too heavily on characters that get no introduction.

Solidarity Reg

Postby Solidarity Reg » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:14 pm

Neonomicon - Alan Moore.

Got this as I love Lovecraft. The overall story is pretty good, but Moore seems obsessed with the idea that Lovecraft was really always talking about sex in his novels (er, no he wasn't), and the massive rape scene just comes of as misogynistic, especially as he's written the one female character as a 'recovering sex addict'. A real shame, because like I said I really loved the idea of the overall story and the art is spot on.

STuG

Postby STuG » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:36 pm

Animalmother wrote:Feeling all a bit nostalgic I've gone and ordered the first 3 volumes of the Charley's War comics. A comic aimed at kids that was utterly brutal in its realistic portrayal of war, you'd never see the like of it today. Loved it and can't wait to read it again.

Now that was a classic series.

You are correct, i can just imagine the headlines were it launched today.

Lots of things still are lodged in my memory, Charlies Platoon mates being executed one by one when their trench is taken by a (Prussian led?) German Regiment and saying their goodbyes one by one...i think Charlie survived by playing dead and being used in a 'sandbag' wall of dead squaddies, Charlie being stopped by an Officer and the Officer demanding to know what was in the bag he was carrying and replying ' My mate Sir.', the Verdun story line. On on on i could go.

Superb artwork too.

Very much a product of its time though with regards to the 'Lions led by donkeys' motif, but a great series all the same. I think he joined back up for WW2 and fought in France again from memory, i am sure i remember a Dunkirk storyline.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:03 pm

The books are great, Pat Mills gives a fascinating introduction in each one. I was amazed at how much I remembered from comics I haven't read in over 20 some years, they must have had a big impact on me. Pretty much learned all I knew about WWI from Charley's War as a kid.

The artwork is amazing...

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:05 am

Isn't that the Death Korps of Krieg?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:59 am

So i decided I'd get into comics a bit more after reading the Walking Dead.

I bought Fables Vol 1 and Y the Last man Vol 1. Completely forgot about the Unwirtten otherwise I would have got that. WoO raved about that a while back.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:48 am

Really enjoyed Y : The Last Man Vol 1. Definitely going to invest and buy a couple of trades. God I'm going to spend a fortune on these comics.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:34 pm

Y was great, cool characters, nice clean art style, concept was interesting and the world was developed well. There's a complete collection out there on the seven seas if you fancy getting it straight away, looks good on a tablet.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature