Comic Recommendations Thread

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Crowley

Postby Crowley » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:50 am

I always thought all of the Miller Batmans were gash. As is pretty much everything Miller has done, actually. Influential yada-yada sure, but still not at all well-written, well-drawn or otherwise enjoyable.

deetz

Postby deetz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:53 pm

Ordered all of the Preacher series off Amazon and a local comic book place. Was up till 4am reading reading the first 3 books. The 2nd one was just horrible but in a good way.

Spoiler:
Killing Jesse's girlfriend was just heartbreaking stuff. The whole lead up to it. Him explaining to her why he'd originally left her 5 years back and her final words before being killed. Thank god for the resurrection. A huge relief.

Great recommendation, WoO.

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:09 am

I'm selling my complete sets of Transmetropolitan, Promethea and Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind on ebay if anyone's interested?

Transmetropolitan
Promethea
Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind

I'll miss them all being on my shelf, but chances of me reading them again is very low :cry:

deetz

Postby deetz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:22 am

Definitely tempted by Promethea as I already have two or three of them. I'll check out my bank account and watch what the price is on ebay. Can't afford to spend too much at the minute.

Finished Preacher and enjoyed every page of it. :D

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:22 pm

This is very disappointing :(

ebay has no taste.

Wizard Of Odd

Postby Wizard Of Odd » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:08 pm

Crowley wrote:I always thought all of the Miller Batmans were gash. As is pretty much everything Miller has done, actually. Influential yada-yada sure, but still not at all well-written, well-drawn or otherwise enjoyable.

You're right, they are shit, but nowhere near as shit as Grant Morrison's Batman comics. Christ, it's like he's trying to tell ten different stories randomly on each page, not one frame seems to bear any relation to the last, the stories have no coherence whatsoever, they're all over the place. Hate them so much.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:35 am

I came across Garth Ennis Battlefields last week, namely the story called Tankies. Crew of a Churchill tank in Normandy just after D-Day, starts off funny but quickly turns very graphic (shows what happens inside a tank with a German shell bouncing around the turret). Its like the old Warlord and Victor comics I used to read as a kid except showing the real horror of war.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=2492

deetz

Re: Comic Recommendations Thread

Postby deetz » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:13 pm

As I had a bit of spare cash I bought myself The Ballad of Halo Jones which I'd had on my wish list for ages. Heard it was meant to be very good and it was written by Alan Moore so really should be. Going to start it tonight.

Wizard Of Odd

Postby Wizard Of Odd » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:31 am

Have you tried Garth Ennis' Crossed yet? It's pretty good.

deetz

Postby deetz » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:56 am

I'd not heard of it till now but reading the wiki it does sound quite interesting. Something I'll go and have a browse through at the comic book shop in town. I do think my next major graphic novel purchase will be the Hellblazer series. Quite like the whole occult, heaven and hell thing. One of the reasons i loved Sandman and Lucifer so much. I think John Constantine actually turned up in one of those two series for a short while.

Wizard Of Odd

Postby Wizard Of Odd » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:02 pm

I've tried to start Lucifer a couple of times now, and really struggled to get in to it. I've never managed to get past the first 3 or 4 issues. Don't know why.

cHeal

Re:

Postby cHeal » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:02 am

Crowley wrote:I always thought all of the Miller Batmans were gash. As is pretty much everything Miller has done, actually. Influential yada-yada sure, but still not at all well-written, well-drawn or otherwise enjoyable.

Nah Year One is a great little comic. I think I could enjoy Miller more if he didn't provide the artwork. His art and panelling is just awful. Dark Night returns was a struggle to get through and I gave up on strikes back.

Don't have a huge range of comics, but really enjoyed the Kingdom Come stuff by Alex Ross. The Art Work is so good it makes up for a fairly fluffy story. Maus is a must buy as a book. Watchmen obviously. Preferred the movie to the comic of V for Vendetta. Personal preference I guess. But yeah, must pick up a few new comics for christmas.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:37 am

As well as those others cHeal mentioned, Spawn-Batman is also incredibly funny (black cover and published by Image, not the other one) - I still laugh out loud at some of the dialogue, and MacFarlane's art was still impressive to me as I hadn't read all of the main comic to get bored by it. Crossovers where the heroes basically can't stand each other, always seem to work well.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:54 pm

New Pratchett, Snuff, came out on Thursday. Only a few pages in, but it's pretty good so far.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

deetz

Postby deetz » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:08 pm

Not read a huge amount of The Ballad of Halo Jones yet but what i have read has been a bit unimpressive. Overuse of future speak is making it a bit hard going at times. Did read a review saying he stops using so much of it as he progresses with the story so fingers crossed.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature