Comic Recommendations Thread

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Scrappy

Re: Comic Recommendations Thread

Postby Scrappy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:17 am

Recently purchased my first comic for a long time. I only really got the Walking Dead and that was years ago. Didn't explore beyond that. Last week I bought Y : The Last man and Fables. Now, I really liked them both but I want more.

I'm currently in debate on what to get between : Saga, Judge Dredd or Sandman. I'm really unsure which one I want next. I'm low on money, but really want to get some more reading in. I thought I had more money and had a couple more in my basket but I got an e-mail from Amazon saying my payment has been rejected.

My reason for picking one of these three : I'm not really into the more Superhero ones. Superman has never been my thing, nor has spiderman so I wanted something different. Dredd piqued my interest due to the newest film which I loved. Saga and Sandman are both highly rated from people I've been talking to.

Question is : Which do I buy next? I cannot choose between the three. Dredd will give me more to read, but Saga and Sandman look really interesting.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Went ahead and got :

Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files v. 5

Y: The Last Man Vol. 3 - One Small Step

Saga Volume 1 TP

Y The Last Man TP Vol 02 Cycles

Sandman TP Vol 01 Preludes & Nocturnes New Ed: Preludes and Nocturnes (Sandman New Editions)

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:59 pm

God damn you all for not talking about comic books.

Loving Dredd. Started out a bit crap art and story wise, but it's got very good, just got to a Judge Death story which I hear is the highlight of this Volume. Can't wait.

deetz

Postby deetz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Not read any in ages. Still got Saga Volume 1 to read but been busy with other things.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:31 pm

Been reading Invincible over the past week or two. It's by Robert Kirkman, who wrote The Walking Dead, which I absolutely love, so I figured I'd give this a chance. Follows a young guy who finally gets the powers he's been waiting for all his life, given that his dad is essentially Superman. It's all self-contained and has a continuous story so you don't get the decades of continuity or people trying to stamp their mark like with DC or Marvel comics. It's also an ongoing series, I've read up to 99 and there's currently 105 out. Definitely worth the read.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:41 pm

Heard amazing things about it. It was also Augusts most selling comic. I'm going to wait a while before getting it though, I've got Sandman to get through Y and some more Dredd with more Saga on its way. Definitely on my to buy list along with some Batman.

Just finished Case File 5 of Dredd ending with the Apocalypse War. Really decent series that. America next then onto Case File 14 for Necropolis then I'm done with Dredd for a while.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:20 pm

I need help. I've spent something like £120 on comics in the last three weeks. Crazy.

Getting into some superheros stuff now. Never thought I'd like them but I do. Batman New 52 is the latest. Shame that the tpb isn't out for the 2nd issue til the 22nd October.

Bought this week :

Saga TPB #2
Batman : Court of the Owls
Y : The Last Man #4
Judge Dredd : Case Files Vol #14

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:43 am

Just torrent it man, there's junkies out there that spend less on smack in that length of time!

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:19 pm

I know man. Decided to not buy anymore now until the end of October.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:25 pm

deetz wrote:Not read any in ages. Still got Saga Volume 1 to read but been busy with other things.

Read it. Fantastic, it's a great Universe and the story is really good. It's up there as my current favourite, got Vol 2 sitting on my shelf to read but I want to get through some others before i even start on it.

deetz

Postby deetz » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:15 pm

Ohhhh i will. Busy reading Gabriel García Márquez - Strange Pilgrims at the minute. Not something i'd usually go for but my gf bought it for me as its her fav book. Really enjoying it so far.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:51 pm

So it looks like Robert Kirkman is moving onto another comic. Will this mean that the Walking Dead will end soon? Anyway, here's the cover :

it's another horror :D

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:18 pm

So, more Y the last man. Just finished Safeword and started the next one. Typical that I don't read a comic for months and now in the space of four days I've read :

Y : Last man vol 4
Saga 3
Sandman vol 4
Judge Dredd Case files 14
and the first Fables.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:39 pm

I'm really loving Bedlam and East of West at the moment.

Both are IMAGE comics and have very different art styles and stories. Bedlam is like a Joker v Batman scenario if the Joker was reformed by Arkham and anonymously allowed to live in the community again.

East of West is a tale of the four horsemen and sci-fi esque united states split into seven nations with distinctly civil war themes. It has immensely cool artwork.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:53 pm

I've been hearing very good things about East Vs West. I might check it out later but right now my comic book backlog is huge and I've got Rat Queens and Sex Criminals coming tomorrow.

Bedlam sounds interesting, how is it so far?

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature