Comic Recommendations Thread

For your aural and visual pleasure.
deetz

Comic Recommendations Thread

Postby deetz » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:39 am

I only really started reading comics a couple of years back when i happened to walk into a comic book store while waiting for the bus. After a bit of browsing i bought the first Sandman volume on the recommendation of the owner. Was hooked from then on. Went in every day after work to buy the next one.

Up until then i'd no idea that these kinds of comics existed. I just assumed they were all Superman/X-Men like stories which i had nothing really against as i always enjoyed the cartoons when i was younger but had no real inclination to read the actual comics.

Since realising theres more than just super heroes i've become much more interested in the medium. This has in turn led me to become more interested in starting on one of the superhero series. Mainly Thor or X-Men

What i've read so far:
1. The Sandman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman_(Vertigo)
2. Lucifer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer_(DC_Comics)
3. Death http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_(DC_Comics)
All 3 are excellent series. Pity Death's was so short.
4. Watchman
5. V for Vendetta
6. Waltz with Bashir - I've actually got the dvd of this but i've never watched it but i'm assuming its going to be as powerful as the graphic novel adaptation.

I now have an Amazon gift voucher for £30 which i want to use. I'll probably spend another £30 on top of the gift voucher. Along with the hundreds of books and DVDs i want to buy i've also wish listed the following comics:

1. The Unwritten - Thanks to the thread WoO started and some random in the comic book store i was browsing.
2. Ballad of Halo Jones
3. Hellblazer
4. Preacher http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preacher_(comics)
5. Batman: Dark Knight Returns, The Dark Knight Strikes Again,Year
One
and The Killing Joke

So basicly, tell me what you think i should spend my hard earned cash on first.

Also let me and everyone else know what you're reading, have read and what you're looking forward to being released.

*waits for thread to sink without a trace*

Wizard Of Odd

Postby Wizard Of Odd » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:08 am

Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher.

Preacher.

Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, Preacher, .

Preacher.

Get Preacher.

It's the best thing I've ever read. Ever. Comic or otherwise.

Get Preacher. Get it now. You will love it.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:44 am

I love anything by Garth Ennis.

The Snot Goblin

Postby The Snot Goblin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:07 pm

I preferred Sandman to Preacher but they're both so good it's hardly worth arguing over. I'd certainly but Preacher to the top of your list if you haven't read it yet.

If you're going to read Batman: Year One then The Long Halloween is worth a go too; not as good, but an interesting sequel. Wouldn't make it a massive priority or anything though.
I am going to eat Spaceman paninis with black Hitler and there is nothing you can do about it!

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:13 pm

Maus is good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus

The only time I've cried at a graphic novel...and probably the only time I ever will...

Adalaar
Augmented

Postby Adalaar » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:16 pm

Gandalf wrote:Maus is good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus

The only time I've cried at a graphic novel...and probably the only time I ever will...

Maus was brilliant. Hellblazer wasn't as good as I thought it would be probably because I read it after I watched the Constantine movie
cHeal wrote: I don't care one way or another whether GamerGate is all white or all black migrant transgender midget. .

deetz

Postby deetz » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Guess I'll go with Preacher first then. May as well try and pick them all up at once. Wasn't HBO meant to be turning it into a tv series at some point?

Think my dad has Maus on one of his bookshelves so I'll dig that out.

If you enjoyed Sandman, Snot Goblin then I really recommend Lucifer and Death. Quality of both is easily as good as Sandman.

Wizard Of Odd

Postby Wizard Of Odd » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:57 pm

The Snot Goblin wrote:I preferred Sandman to Preacher but they're both so good it's hardly worth arguing over. I'd certainly but Preacher to the top of your list if you haven't read it yet.

If you're going to read Batman: Year One then The Long Halloween is worth a go too; not as good, but an interesting sequel. Wouldn't make it a massive priority or anything though.

Sandman was my favourite comic series of all time until I read the entire run of Preacher over the space of a month or so earlier this year. I loved it so much.

As for Batman, yeah, Year One is great. Long Halloween less so, I think, and I can't stand The Dark Knight Returns. My personal favourite Batman collection is the Knightfall story, which goes on to erm... Knightsend I think.

Also, you should definitely check out The Crow by James O'Barr. The graphic novel that the original Brandon Lee movie was based on.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:13 pm

Am I the only one who can't stand Batman Vs Superman-type crossovers? I just can't be doing with 'em. I'm not a big comic buff so all my little niggles probably can be explained away, but still, I think it just clashes horribly.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Wizard Of Odd

Postby Wizard Of Odd » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:54 pm

Nah I'm not really big on those crossovers, either. Mind you, I don't really like Superman comics at all anyway. But crossovers in general - no.

Wolfy

Postby Wolfy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:57 pm

Well, it was those Dark Knight comics mentioned above that reminded me. I was all, Oh, that's a pretty cool premi-SUPERMAN COMES AND THEY HAVE A FIGHT AND THEY HAVE KRYPTONITE ARROWS..

Brr.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Wizard Of Odd

Postby Wizard Of Odd » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:00 pm

Remind me, was that in The Dark Knight Returns? It's been years since I read it, and I remember not enjoying it at all. The story, the artwork, I didn't even like the panel layout of the story. It annoyed me!

:lol:

Wolfy

Postby Wolfy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:25 pm

I think it might be the first one. But the second one had wonder-woman and superman having a kid. So it could be either.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

The Snot Goblin

Postby The Snot Goblin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Yeah, in The Dark Knight Returns, Batman comes out of retirement in a superhero-less world much to the chagrin of the US President who sets Superman (now a government lacky) on him. And Batman kicks his ass (Superman was hit by a nuclear warhead and there's not much sunlight during a nuclear winter so he wasn't at his best).

I enjoyed it myself but The Dark Knight Strikes Again was a serious misfire IMO.
I am going to eat Spaceman paninis with black Hitler and there is nothing you can do about it!

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:50 pm

I enjoyed The Dark Knight Returns. It was enjoyable fun. The Dark Knight Strikes Again though....dear lord...it was absolutely terrible. Could barely believe it got published.

Next

Return to Music and Literature