Robert E Howard (Conan saga)

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Stormbringer

Re: Robert E Howard (Conan saga)

Postby Stormbringer » Fri May 06, 2016 10:39 am

BOOM! Yet another bump! Where did all these interesting people go after 2011?

Ah, Robert E. Howard was one of my greatest discoveries during the lost years! I read both the Gollancz volumes that have been previously discussed in this thread.

Gibby wrote:the stories have an energy that just drags you in

Solidarity Reg wrote:His writing is just so visceral.

Yes, exactly! He has an incredible imagination and powerful use of language, much like Lovecraft, but less "flowery" and more "muscular". He has replaced H. P. Lovecraft as my favourite pulp/short story writer. I read his historical tales first, then finished with the Conan saga. Although I enjoyed a few of the Conan tales -- particularly The Devil in Iron, Red Nails, The Black Stranger and Iron Shadows in the Moon -- I found many of them a bit of a chore to read. I actually much preferred the historical adventures. Bran Mak Morn was probably my favourite character from these tales (Kings of the Night and Worms of the Earth were both awesome), though I loved the Crusader stories too and of course Solomon Kane (particularly his adventures in western Africa).
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

gpa-gone-west

Re: Robert E Howard (Conan saga)

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:38 am

This is one of those books that I always intended to buy, but never seem to get around to actually getting it. I really should.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Previous

Return to Music and Literature