Robert E Howard (Conan saga)

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Solidarity Reg

Robert E Howard (Conan saga)

Postby Solidarity Reg » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:25 am

Bought The Complete Chronicles of Conan at the beginning of the week, and only being three stories in, am loving it. His writing is just so viscerial.

I wasn't surprised to find out he was quite matey with H.P. Lovecraft as well given some of the monstrous descriptions.

Sorry for being so late to the party :D

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:49 pm

That is a beautifully produced book, I also have it. Big fan of Conan - the stories have an energy that just drags you in. What I enjoy is that Conan is actually pretty intelligent and resourceful, as well as allowing his feral side to take over in battle. Shame the 80's films didn't really reflect that. :lol:

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:52 pm

I'm interested in this, I've only read a couple of Conan short stories years ago.

Hmm. Might get it.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:06 pm

I have this too, comes highly recommended. There is a similar book of H P Lovecraft's work.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Solidarity Reg

Postby Solidarity Reg » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:14 pm

having just read the The Tower of the Elephant, I can't help but feel the artist who did the accompanying picture took things a bit litarally. I didn't get the impression it was literally a dude with a giant elephant's head, but some kind of alien with something similair to elephantine features that Conan is trying to visualise based on things he's heard about.

But maybe that's just me.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue May 11, 2010 12:07 pm

Okay, so I just ordered this. Looking forward to it.

EDIT: Yay, I ordered it just before the price went up a bit.

Solidarity Reg

Postby Solidarity Reg » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm on the last few stories, and I don't mind admitting I'm sorry the ride is nearly over. :(

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:16 pm

I'm about 7 stories in. It's so jam-packed full of ideas that could have easily been enough to base entire novels around - it's true what they say about Howard, he truly brings the environments to life and transports you there.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:18 am

Do yourself a favour then folks, and try the Lovecraft collection from the same publisher.

If that doesn't float your boat, why not try Fritz Lieber, another early fantasy writer whose stories of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser are written in a similar style to Robert Howards Conan tales - short, punchy. brimming with ideas. A collection of them available here- please dont let the awful cover art put you off, these are absolute gems, your life is poorer without them :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Solidarity Reg

Postby Solidarity Reg » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:44 pm

Finished this last week and it was a blast. I don't mind admitting I was a little sad when I read about Howard himself at the end of the book. What a tortured life. :(

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:47 pm

This 'Complete Chronicles of Conan' volume, which I also own, is a fantastic work. If you enjoyed it, I'd like to point out that Gollancz (the publisher) have recently released a companion volume (also black, leatherbound), entitled 'Conan's Brethren' -- which contains most of Robert E Howard's other heroic adventure stories, featuring the heroes: 'Solomon Kane', 'King Kull', 'Bran Mak Morn', 'Almuric' and 'Turlogh O'Brien', as well as several others.

It's probably fair to say that Conan the Cimmerian is the final and complete product of which all these other heroes are forerunners and prototypes. As well as being rip-roaring adventures, the stories also serve to illustrate just how knowledgeable Robert E Howard was in his chosen historical time-periods, as the settings of each story vary from Ancient Roman Britain through the Crusades and into the 16th Century. They also demonstrate his particular fascination with the Picts, Celts, Scots and other ancient races of Ireland whom he claims ancestral descent from. Conan the Cimmerian, interestingly enough, is supposed to be -- in Howard's world -- the pre-historical forerunner to these races.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:36 pm

Yeah Hyperboria is interesting because it's like an epoch before even the Mesopotamian civilisation sprang up. What's fun is reading about the nations/races in the Conan stories and trying to decide what they would later become. The "Celts" however, are described as being more Amazonian tribesmen-like in appearance and culture.

I intend to get the Fritz Lieber leather bound volume as well, just to add to my lovely collection of these books (have the Lovecraft one too). Never read any of Fritz Lieber's stuff, but if Snowy likes it, I'll like it.

I will also pick up the R. E. Howard and H.P. Lovecraft secondary leather releases. I need to buy a book shelf JUST for these.

I also have a leather bound Dragonlance collection containing the first three (and best) Dragonlance novels. Unfortunately I won't put it on the same shelf for two reasons. The first is that while I have read the books before, the authors saw fit in this collection to annotate the books, with little notes either side of the text. Like a director's commentary in book form. This annoys me because some of them reveal big spoilers for later in the book! Like I said, having read it, it shouldn't be a problem, but it is.

The second reason is that one of my two Chinchillas (called Boromir and Faramir, both brothers ^_^), Faramir, escaped one day and chewed the cover a bit. Grrr.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:06 am

Gibby wrote:I intend to get the Fritz Lieber leather bound volume as well

Gollancz haven't released a leatherbound Fritz Leiber volume, to my knowledge. Only a paperback version in their 'Fantasy Masterworks' range.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Mournblade wrote:
Gibby wrote:I intend to get the Fritz Lieber leather bound volume as well

Gollancz haven't released a leatherbound Fritz Leiber volume, to my knowledge. Only a paperback version in their 'Fantasy Masterworks' range.

Bah. I must've dreamt seeing it. Oh well. There's plenty yet to buy!

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:01 pm

This thread-bump reminds me, I only got about 3/4 through that giant Conan Chronicles book. Need to finish it off some time. By Crom I will!

Next

Return to Music and Literature