Fighting Fantasy

For your aural and visual pleasure.
KingCrab

Fighting Fantasy

Postby KingCrab » Thu May 07, 2009 8:52 pm

Man these were awesome, and still are!

When I'd go to the library as a kid with my parents it would be immediately over to the kids section to get a few of these to read.

There was 59 of these mothers and I loved every one of them that I read but unfortunatly my collection was lost in the mists of time leaving me with only one to my name. City of thieves.
So I have decided to rebuild the whole collection. The quest for quests is on!

My first port of call was Ebay to see how much I could get the whole lot from. £160 I thought was a bit steep for one go. So I found the first 10 for £20 and bought them and 3 random ones. Battleblade warriors, The shamutanti hills and Kharé cityport of traps.

Also today I went with my girlfriend to the Oxfam book shop as two eyes are better than one for spying those green book spines. We found 5 of them! Creature of havoc, The rings of Kether, Demons of the deep, Seas of blood and temple of terror.

Decided I'm going to read them all in order like a proper geek. Cant fucking wait tbh.

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Thu May 07, 2009 8:56 pm

Creature Of Havoc was the best, it was weird as hell.

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Thu May 07, 2009 9:09 pm

Y'know I don't think I ever read that one as a kid. Looking forward to reading it. On the back it says you are a person fighting to control the inner beast, sounds interesting.

I really liked the sci-fi ones as well like Freeway fighter, Robot Commando and Space Assassin.

Spectral stalkers was another one that I remember well, it had you dimension hopping and in one part you were a chess piece or something. I loved all the artwork for them as well especially the covers.

http://www.fightingfantasycollector.co. ... covers.htm

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Thu May 07, 2009 9:24 pm

I remember drawing the cover of Forest of Doom (I think it was called that) and being rather pleased with the outcome.

Did anyone else cheat? I did. If you burst into the room turn to 446. If you quietly open the door turn to 129. I would have both options ready to go as more often than not one option would be an instant death situation.

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Thu May 07, 2009 9:26 pm

Yeah I have to admit I did that on a few occasions. I also used to cheat on the fights.

I'm going to do it all properly this time, iron man style, if I die I start again!

Edit: The original cover to Forest of doom was brilliant.

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Thu May 07, 2009 9:36 pm

I've got a project at university at the moment and I'm trying to make an audio / flash version of this.

Basically you hear the story being read to you by a narrator with voices and sound effects etc. Then once you hear a scene your options pop up and you choose which one you go with. Then you hear the next scene.

Used to love these as a kid. When I was a kid basically any charity shop you went in would have about a billion of them for cheap, so they were always cheap to buy. I never bothered with the character sheets or anything though, or with the dice. I'd just go through the story and win the fights. I'd cheat all the time as well.

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Thu May 07, 2009 9:54 pm

Rusty wrote:I remember drawing the cover of Forest of Doom (I think it was called that) and being rather pleased with the outcome.

Did anyone else cheat? I did. If you burst into the room turn to 446. If you quietly open the door turn to 129. I would have both options ready to go as more often than not one option would be an instant death situation.

There was little point in not cheating, at least a little, there was no skill or logic behind any of the choices.

Did anyone ever try the Steve Jackson's Sourcery series? they tried to add a bit more role playing, as well as a longer plot into the fray. I think they were better, though I only did the first two, could never find the third.

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Thu May 07, 2009 9:56 pm

Yeah I had the sorcery books with the spellbook. That was a pretty epic adventure.

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Fri May 08, 2009 10:20 am

Gandalf wrote:I've got a project at university at the moment and I'm trying to make an audio / flash version of this.

Basically you hear the story being read to you by a narrator with voices and sound effects etc. Then once you hear a scene your options pop up and you choose which one you go with. Then you hear the next scene.

These actual books or stories you've made up yourself?

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Fri May 08, 2009 11:46 am

Nah. Just a story I've made myself. The quality is going to be shit though as I'm going to have to rush to get it all done.

It's only going to be a short story as well, maybe a few scenes. Not so much a story as an interactive radio drama.

You and two friends break into a haunted house on Halloween. Scares ensue.

The Snot Goblin

Postby The Snot Goblin » Fri May 08, 2009 12:05 pm

Crowley wrote:Did anyone ever try the Steve Jackson's Sourcery series? they tried to add a bit more role playing, as well as a longer plot into the fray. I think they were better, though I only did the first two, could never find the third.

Yeah, played Sourcery and loved it, but you could get royally screwed in book 4 (The name of which I can't remember) if you didn't kill all of the serpents in book 3. Which is fair enough I suppose.

My favourites were probably Sword of the Samurai (if your honour score dropped to zero you commit seppuku), Appointment With F.E.A.R. (Superheros! Yay!) and Vault of the Vampire (if only for some fantastic artwork).
I am going to eat Spaceman paninis with black Hitler and there is nothing you can do about it!

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Fri May 08, 2009 12:45 pm

Oh by the way if anybody has any lying around that you don't want anymore I'll be happy to take them off your hands.

Although you will be a fool to get rid of them.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri May 08, 2009 8:31 pm

I loved the sourcery books and actually did what they suggested and memorised the spells from the spell book and then put it away.

For some reason the cover to the first one (the one with a manticore or some such) was my favourite fantasy scene for yonks. The way the hills looked I just wanted to wander down or around them and go adventuring.

#edit# Not quite so good as I remember it but still damn fine. I want to go there now (perhaps minus the wee beasty though)
http://www.gamebooks.org/gallery/sorc1.jpg

Adam

Postby Adam » Fri May 08, 2009 8:53 pm

No-one else really hated these things, then?
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri May 08, 2009 10:23 pm

I probably would now but as a young boy, no.

Next

Return to Music and Literature