H.P. Lovecraft

For your aural and visual pleasure.
KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:40 am

Two fish faced whores coming right up!

deetz

Postby deetz » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:06 am

I'm like Mark in this in that my only knowledge of Lovecraft has come through Wikipedia. Always tempted to by a couple of the books to see what its really like but always get sidetracked.

Anyone know where i could start? I can add it to my amazon wish list.

The Snot Goblin

Postby The Snot Goblin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:41 am

There's three anthology books which pretty much have everything he ever wrote. The first part has some of his longer ones including The Case of Charles Dexter Ward which is my favourite.
I am going to eat Spaceman paninis with black Hitler and there is nothing you can do about it!

Nelmsy

Postby Nelmsy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:47 am

The Snot Goblin wrote:There's three anthology books which pretty much have everything he ever wrote. The first part has some of his longer ones including The Case of Charles Dexter Ward which is my favourite.

That the one I got the other day, it's been fantastic so far.

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:10 pm

Yeah those are the ones I bought. I'm working through volume 2 at the moment. I've found that a lot of his early stuff is more fantasy and fairy tale than horror.

NightShade

Postby NightShade » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:36 pm

What are the three volumes called?

The Snot Goblin

Postby The Snot Goblin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:42 pm

I am going to eat Spaceman paninis with black Hitler and there is nothing you can do about it!

NightShade

Postby NightShade » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:59 pm

Cheers, I have one Cthulhu Mythos but it's mostly from other authors and the stuff isn't as good as the one or two Lovecraft I've read.

NightShade

Postby NightShade » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:25 pm

Got the Omnibuses a couple of days ago and have so far read At The Mountains of Madness, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, Dagon and the Shadow over Innsmouth. I'm really loving the style and how Lovecraft knows to an exact how much needs to be revealed and how much will be more effective left to the readers imagination. I'm currently going through them all very slowly, just reading a chapter at a time and then letting it all sink in before starting on the next chapter/story. I really should have gotten around to reading this before, but the previous Cthulhu stuff I'd read wasn't Lovecraft and wasn't as good.

Shadow over Innsmouth Spoilers wrote:The escape was of the best written and most tension inducing written pieces that I've read. I'm installing the game at the moment just so I can relive it because I remember the part ingame being equally as brilliant.

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:29 pm

Buceph wrote:I've also played some great tabletop RPGs based on the Cthulhu mythos. The last one was where we were investigating the disappearance of two lighthouse keepers (I was doing a spot of investigating for a newspaper as well, believing that the keepers were smugglers.) The lighthouse was eldritched up to the max. Severed arms from fishlike creatures risen from the depths burned in the fireplace. The radio tuned in to pulsating rythyms like a chorus chanting in languages never before heard by man. Smugglers caves where gilled bipeds stood around altars. Machinery grinding when there was no power to run it. And of course eldritch tomes and cursed symbols engraved in walls. It was great. I went made and tried to swim away from the lighthouse in stormy seas, being pulled to my watery grave by the fish-men.

Kingcrab: I'd say you'd really enjoy tabletop RPGs if you could get five or so people together willing to give it a shot. Take a look for the Cthulhu book published by Chaosium and get a scenario or two and run through them. If you're playing boardgames like Arkham Horror it's not a huge stretch to make to RPGs.

I bought the Call of Cthulu horror roleplaying game the other day, is that the one you are on about? Just need some people to play with now but as no one I know plays these things that could be difficult.

I've had a look through the book and it sounds really good if you can get a group together.

Buceph

Postby Buceph » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:00 am

Aye, that's the Edwin KC. There's plenty of supplements available for it, some of which are on demonoid. There should also be scenario books available, where they have pre-written encounters for you to work through.

As for the getting people to do it, organise an evening of it. Get food and booze in. Combine that with the intrigue, horrors that man should never know of and your in for an entertaining night, even if they hate what they're doing.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:59 pm

I'd still be well up for a meet up wherein we play these games of forbidden horror!

NightShade

Postby NightShade » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:39 am

Guillermo del Toro (Mimic, Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy) has the rights to At the Mountains of Madness and is supposedly really set on making it :o

Though there's nothing in detail about it other than that he's fit it into his schedule to make before 2017 ¬.¬

And the bit's of Script around the internet sound quite promising too ^.^

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:54 pm

Gibby wrote:I'd still be well up for a meet up wherein we play these games of forbidden horror!

I will happen one day!

Just got to figure out this damn roleplaying game. I mean WTF? its so complicated, isnt half the time playing it spent skimming through the book looking for how to do what the players want to do next?

Buceph

Postby Buceph » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:34 pm

The CoC RPG is one of the easier ones to learn. :?

It's pretty simple, if they want to do something outside of normal actions they have to have the skill. If they roll under the skill they succeed, if not they fail. Combat rolls dice to hit, if they hit they do a certain amount of damage depending on another dice roll. Anything after that is just bumpf. Wing it and you'll be fine. I know that some people will want accuracy with encumberances for carrying three stone of rocks after running six miles through slightly loose rocky ground, but they're easy to ignore.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature