H.P. Lovecraft

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Feet

Postby Feet » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:18 pm

Who knows why really. Doug was a complicated bloke.
I still love you.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:30 pm

KingCrab wrote:Arkham horror? If so then wayhey! Its ace.

Come on though Gibby, Lovecraft...talk to me!

Yup! I've yet to play it, but I already want the expansions as well.

Anyway, yes, Lovecraft is amazing. I'm about to go out so will post more later. I need to get my clutches on that leather bound Centenary Edition. I have the R. E. Howard Conan one, so it'd look awesome next to that.

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:25 pm

We have the King in yellow expansion but have not tried it yet as we have yet to win a vanilla game.

Top tip: Dont spend the first 20 turns pratting about shopping for magic items and stuff(Bloody women, even in board games they are obsessed with shopping) and leave your co investigators to deal with the various horrors the portals are spitting out, you will become overwhelmed very quickly. I think we all went insane before we died.

Oh and the box lies about the time it takes to play a game. It took us well over 5 hours from set up to our doom.

Edit: Hang on, what leather bound books are you on about? Robert E Howard...its not all his conan stuff is it because i'd like to get my hands on that.

I like how Conan is part of the Cthulhu mythos as well, you can really see it though, even in the crap conan film Conan: The destroyer with the ancient god that comes back to like at the end.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:34 am

Yeah it's all of his Conan stories, including some drafts that were never published. Howard and Lovecraft became very good friends over the years they both appeared in Weird Tales magazine, so after a while Howard's stories did start taking on aspects of the Cthulhu mythos. They certainly contain some of the strange and eerie.

5 hours eh? I need to find some patient friends...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/complete-chroni ... 107&sr=8-2

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:50 pm

Thats getting ordered!

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:30 pm

It's an amazing book mate, and I know I sound weird saying this but, it smells great. ¬_¬

Buceph

Postby Buceph » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:24 pm

Lovecraft is a great read. I think in part it's his use of language that attracts me to him, you can tell that it's archaic for the period he wrote in, and even more so now. Mix that in with a horror that no-one else seems to do and it's a winning mix. I think the last short story I read from him was The Rats in the Walls.

I've also played some great tabletop RPGs based on the Cthulhu mythos. The last one was where we were investigating the disappearance of two lighthouse keepers (I was doing a spot of investigating for a newspaper as well, believing that the keepers were smugglers.) The lighthouse was eldritched up to the max. Severed arms from fishlike creatures risen from the depths burned in the fireplace. The radio tuned in to pulsating rythyms like a chorus chanting in languages never before heard by man. Smugglers caves where gilled bipeds stood around altars. Machinery grinding when there was no power to run it. And of course eldritch tomes and cursed symbols engraved in walls. It was great. I went made and tried to swim away from the lighthouse in stormy seas, being pulled to my watery grave by the fish-men.

Kingcrab: I'd say you'd really enjoy tabletop RPGs if you could get five or so people together willing to give it a shot. Take a look for the Cthulhu book published by Chaosium and get a scenario or two and run through them. If you're playing boardgames like Arkham Horror it's not a huge stretch to make to RPGs.

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:59 pm

That sounds fantastic, I think I saw that in the Travelling man in Leeds. I'll have a look for it next time I go in.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:07 pm

Lincs isn't that far from Leeds. I'll play it with you. ¬___¬

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:18 pm

Hey i'd be more than happy to play any of these games with you, maybe we can arrange a meet sometime, see if we can get a few more players or something?

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:27 pm

That sounds like a pretty good plan. I'll bring the ale, you bring the whores.

I'll ask around some RL mates to see if they'd be up for it.

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:37 pm

Shall I get whores with the "look", To go with the Lovcraft theme?

Rigger Rigby

Postby Rigger Rigby » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:47 pm

I'm new to Lovecraft and the horror genre in general. I've only read The Statement of Randolph Carter but I thought it was bloody good.

Nelmsy

Postby Nelmsy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:47 pm

I bought the first H.P. Lovecraft omnibus at the weekend, So far I have only read At The Mountains Of Madness, which I thought was fantastic. I love the real sense of dread that builds throughout the story.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:26 pm

KingCrab wrote:Shall I get whores with the "look", To go with the Lovcraft theme?

Yes.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature