H.P. Lovecraft

For your aural and visual pleasure.
KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:44 pm

:lol:

What about time? How is it measured in the game? Say a character is running away from something, how do we know how long it takes for him to get there?

Buceph

Postby Buceph » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:42 pm

If you want to accurately model it there are systems out there that will do it for you, GURPS being one of them. If you're playing a cinematic style game then have them arrive at an opportune moment, or the least fortunate time. Otherwise just estimate what you think to be fair. If you consider it to be a five minute walk that the player is going to, and he's going to meet another group of players, then they have five minutes of action time. Five minutes real time of talking, if they're searching for a book in a library, maybe enough time to check the indexes. If they're in a gunfight, then it might take an hour of real time for him to join up because combat takes so long.

Most of the time there's no need to be stingy with the rules unless people specifically want it. Often it interrupts the flow of the enjoyment of the game. The only thing you do need to do is to be constant within what you say.

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:24 pm

Combat takes an hour in real time? Bloody hell thats quite long isnt it. Managed to get my virtual hands on pretty much all the supliments to the game, i'm going to need a lot of printer paper and a lot of ink!

Played another game of Arkham horror last night...and lost again. Choosing Cthulhu as the ancient one was a mistake and did not help at all. The game is great though even if you fail. Its always a different story that unfolds everytime. We had a serial killer on the loose this time which killed an NPC ally every turn unless we delt with the killer which meant meeting specific requirements and then going to his location(Ma's boarding house) but there was no way we had time to deal with that while trying to close the portals to other worlds which kept opening up around town. So the killer wiped every ally but one out which was a guy my character ended up having an arm wrestling competition with which then led to him joining up with me.

None of this stuff happened the first time we played, it was a completely different story. Fantastic game, highly recommended!

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:25 pm

I still haven't played it and I've had it almost a month! Might try a game on my own tonight.

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:18 pm

Dont play it on your own, its far more interesting with other people. Plus its hard enough with two people nevermind just one.

Shaihulud

Postby Shaihulud » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:06 pm

I'm a big fan of Lovecraft, always thought The Shadow Out of Time was his best. Also, big fan of the Cthulhu pen and paper RPG, had quite a bit of experience running it. I'd actually be up for running a game (Allah permitting) over skype or something (it works surprisingly well) if anyone wanted to play.

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:59 am

Shai, whats this thing with you recently of putting 'Allah permitting' after everything? :lol:

Are you joking or actually being serious with that?

On another note, do you have to talk in a different accent if you are playing a character from a different country? I wouldnt really like doing that tbh, i'd just feel like a twat.

Shaihulud

Postby Shaihulud » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:32 pm

KingCrab wrote:Shai, whats this thing with you recently of putting 'Allah permitting' after everything? :lol:

Are you joking or actually being serious with that?

On another note, do you have to talk in a different accent if you are playing a character from a different country? I wouldnt really like doing that tbh, i'd just feel like a twat.

Totally serious, m'friad. Part of my desire to become ever more pious, really been focusing on the religious side of things recently, and that's part of it.

Also, don't have to do accents if you don't want to. Don't even have to speak as your character, can just do it entirely in the third person (i.e. "My character says x.")

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:23 am

No truly pious person would be having sex with everyone's girlfriend! You filthy hell-bound soul!

Also, I'd play the PnP over Skype. I still haven't played Arkham Horror. No gamers. :(

Shaihulud

Postby Shaihulud » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:35 pm

Awesome, that's one. Anyone else? I could run a game with as little as 2 (in fact I'd say 2-3 players would be the rights amount) so we should only need one more...

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:48 pm

I would if I owned the game. But if I ever bought it I'd never have anyone to play against. It happened to me with space hulk, you know.

Shaihulud

Postby Shaihulud » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:47 pm

You wouldn't have to own the rulebook, I could attempt to explain the rules, I did it with the last group of (real life) people I played with.

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:21 pm

Not really keen on playing this over Skype tbh. Going to play this with some friends in a room with the lights dimmed and some booze.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:18 am

With 1930's era music playing?

KingCrab

Postby KingCrab » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:33 pm

Gibby wrote:With 1930's era music playing?

Yeah, that's a good idea that.

Edit: Actually it depends what era the scenario is set. The games can be either played in the 1890's, 1930's or 1990's. Although it says in the book you can modify the scenarios to whatever time period you want.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature