Joe Abercrombie - The First Law Trilogy

For your aural and visual pleasure.
innokenti

Joe Abercrombie - The First Law Trilogy

Postby innokenti » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:06 pm

Being 'The Blade Itself', 'Before They Are Hanged' and 'Last Argument of Kings'

Recently finished the last book and I cannot recommend Abercrombie enough. He's an excellent example of an author who does character-driven narrative right. That being - making excellent characters and taking them through an engaging, clever and enjoyable plot.

While defying genre and having a good bit of black humour on the way.

I've found myself enjoying his books far more than nearly all the fantasy past and present that I have read. The only exception I think is Steven Erikson and the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

If you've tried to give this a go and come away displeased - try again and keep in mind that this is not conventional fantasy.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:43 am

Just got the first one last weekend, having now finished Orcs by Stan Nicholls this is the book I am going to read next.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:33 pm

Oddly enough I have also just picked up The Blade Itself, and am thoroughly enjoying it.

For people who like world-builders, I think you could be disappointed, as the books hammer along at a hell of a pace with very little extraneous detail at all, but that said I love Robert Jordan (in parts), GRRM etc and am also really liking this, so I could be wide of the mark there.

Like Erikson, Abercrombie is not afraid of spilling the claret, and doing so with grisly relish. Having a character in a book who is a crippled ex-hero turned Inquisitor is just genius too, especially one with such an amusing inner dialogue.

Well worth a read!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jian

Postby Jian » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:39 pm

Have you started on Malazan then Snowy?

innokenti

Postby innokenti » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:03 pm

Snowy wrote:Oddly enough I have also just picked up The Blade Itself, and am thoroughly enjoying it.

For people who like world-builders, I think you could be disappointed, as the books hammer along at a hell of a pace with very little extraneous detail at all, but that said I love Robert Jordan (in parts), GRRM etc and am also really liking this, so I could be wide of the mark there.

Like Erikson, Abercrombie is not afraid of spilling the claret, and doing so with grisly relish. Having a character in a book who is a crippled ex-hero turned Inquisitor is just genius too, especially one with such an amusing inner dialogue.

Well worth a read!

Glokta is indeed one of the most brilliantly-conceived and executed characters I have ever had the pleasure to read. Even with the others, Abercrombie knows exactly how to make you dislike or feel uncomfortable with characters and yet want more and more and see them as the best thing ever.

And Logen Ninefingers is an incredibly fresh take on the 'barbarian' character.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat May 03, 2008 10:42 am

just starting the third book of this series - very good indeed and i love the fast pace of the story. Im not much into authors that feel they need to describe every bloody leaf and stem whilst skimming over on plot.

very good indeed will read anything by this guy in the future.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:19 pm

Well I finished the trilogy and have to say anyone yet to read it should rush out and buy it now - fantastic from start to end.

Also, I decided I would drop him a line to say how much I enjoyed the trilogy, and got a reply today :)

Copied below for any who are interested, with spoiler tags:

Snowy's email wrote:-----Original Message-----
Sent: 02 June 2008 16:59
To: WICKES, Ian
Subject: RE: The First Law

Ian,

Thanks a lot for your email and I’m real glad you enjoyed the books, especially that there were a few surprises in there for the jaded reader…

I, too, eagerly await my next. Better get on with it.

All best,
Joe Abercrombie

Sent: 28 May 2008 09:33
To: joe@joeabercrombie.com
Subject: The First Law

Dear Joe, or Mr Abercrombie if you prefer

I very rarely feel the need to write to authors, but having just finished the First Law trilogy felt I had to just to thank you for writing them - three of the most enjoyable reads I have had in years!

I picked up the first book purely by chance - I enjoy the fantasy genre although I do tend to avoid the hackneyed high fantasy end, and was intrigued by the title. My initial thoughts were not hugely favourable, for the fairly daft reason that I am not used to characters in books saying "Oof" and "Argh" etc, as Logen does in his scrap with the flathead. A couple of chapters in though, and I was completely hooked (just following my introduction to the sublime Inquisitor Glokta).

Your characters are superb, vibrant and alive, and a fresh take on character types which usually make me cringe - violent barbarian, wise mage etc. Also hugely enjoyable was the way my attitude to the characters changed (and also where they didn’t where I expected them to). ***SPOILERS*** Bayaz for example I really liked initially, despite suspecting (expecting?) that there was more to him than met the eye. By the end of the trilogy, I loathed him. Ferro I expected to realise the futility of her endless desire for vengeance and hook up with Logen, and she didn't. When Logen left for the North leaving her in Adua, I was just waiting for the twist which reunited them, and when it didn't come I was delighted - another trite cliché sidestepped. Well done sir! Finally Mr Ninefingers himself - with his frequent mutterings of "still alive", I was dreading the last gasp from him to the contrary, and was fully expecting it in the last chapter, so thank you very much for keeping him alive…maybe.***END SPOILERS***

So yes, thanks for a brilliant read, I have not enjoyed a series that much since I read the late and greatly missed David Gemmell's Rigante trilogy I don't think.

Say one thing for Joe Abercrombie, say he can write a cracking book. I eagerly await your next!

Regards

Ian Wickes

A really nice touch, I was absolutely delighted to get a reply :D

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:19 am

It takes me an age to read anything, usually as I am doing allsorts and read a little bit at a time. But I am really liking this so far, it’s intriguing me and the fast pace reminds me a little of the Trudy Canavan books, as far as the pace of the stories go.

Hopefully this trilogy will be as engaging as the two Canavan trilogies, both of those kept me reading upto the very end.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:20 pm

nice snowy :)

was a really trilogy i really enjoyed it too and found it a refreshing change in a very stereotypical genre.

liked the line you wrote at the end: "say one thing...."

clever that ;) :D

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:04 pm

I have just finished the first book, I was going to read something else before starting the second but I think I will just go straight into the second.

I really enjoyed the first, and I am really looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:22 pm

Cheers Baller :)

GPA, you will not regret that decision, consistent quality from start to finish, you are in for a treat.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:12 pm

I have the first book, i read it on the train back from Leeds where i bought it never got round it finishing it. Might start on it tonight..

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:57 pm

Just finished book 1, thoroughly enjoyed it, many thanks to innokenti for opening my eyes to it's existence. :) Love the Glokta character.
Book 2 & 3 sit in front of me as I type, can't wait to return to the tale, cheers mate.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Jian

Postby Jian » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:37 am

I stormed through these a few weeks ago when I had no internet and I was very impressed. Probably the best characters I've read in fantasy.

Glokta was awesome, though my favourite was Bayaz. I'll have to stop there. ¬_¬

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:46 am

Just getting to the end of the second book now, cant wait to get into the last one.

Next

Return to Music and Literature