Joe Abercrombie - The First Law Trilogy

For your aural and visual pleasure.
User avatar
gpa-gone-west
 
Posts: 2955
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:38 am

Postby gpa-gone-west » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:26 pm

I have almost finished the third book now, I really like this trilogy. I haven’t had any slow bits that I have had to chew my way through.

Lots of great characters, Glokta in particular made me laugh so many times, especially:-

SPOILER

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

The description of Gloktas reaction to Jezal's nomination to be king almost made me piss myself.

Chist knows what I am going to read next, these books have been so much fun.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

User avatar
Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil
 
Posts: 3370
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:08 am
Location: Still Here

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:06 pm

I loved them too, he's got a new book out June 2009 -

Best Served Cold

Synopsis

Mercenaries are a wonderful thing: they fight as you tell them, whom you tell them, and when you tell them, for nothing more precious or complicated than money. And Monzcarro Mercatto, and her brother (and lover) Benna Mercatto, are the two most successful, most popular, and most wealthy mercenaries in Styria...but wealthy, popular mercenaries are not such a good thing. In fact they're a downright dangerous thing. Which is why Grand Duke Orso of Styria arranges to have them dealt with. Permanently. With hindsight, he may come to consider this a tactical error. Through sheer good luck - which her brother doesn't share - Monzcarro survives the long and fatal drop Orso arranged for her, and staggers away from her encounter with a ruined right hand, an opium addiction ...and a plan to come back with a fortune, plenty of bladed weapons, and a single-minded determination to kill the seven men in the room when her brother was murdered. Preferably in as gruesome a manner as she can ...


If it's on a par with this trilogy I can't wait.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

User avatar
gpa-gone-west
 
Posts: 2955
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:38 am

Postby gpa-gone-west » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:12 pm

Well I finally finished the last book, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed them, one or two small surprises at the end, but great books. It would be great to have some of those characters in a new book in the future.

I don’t know what I am going to read next, its either Don't Look Back by Karin Fossum or The Twilight Reign Trilogy by Tom Lloyd.

(or it could very well be one of about half a dozen other books I have bought in the last six months and not read yet).
Last edited by gpa-gone-west on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

User avatar
Scrappy
 
Posts: 6596
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:19 pm

Postby Scrappy » Thu May 07, 2009 1:17 am

I've decided to read the book from scratch as I could hardly remember the story as it's been nearly a year since I've read the book. My word, I've fallen in love with it. Glokta is amazing, as is Logan, but my favourite character is West. I imagine he'll not play a huge role, but never the less he's been brilliant so far.

User avatar
gpa-gone-west
 
Posts: 2955
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:38 am

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri May 08, 2009 8:51 am

Sigur Ros wrote:I've decided to read the book from scratch as I could hardly remember the story as it's been nearly a year since I've read the book. My word, I've fallen in love with it. Glokta is amazing, as is Logan, but my favourite character is West. I imagine he'll not play a huge role, but never the less he's been brilliant so far.


All three books were great, the writing reminded me of ORCS by Stan Nicholls.

User avatar
Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil
 
Posts: 3370
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:08 am
Location: Still Here

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:33 pm

Hell of a bump for this, but there's a new book out called "The Heroes" that appears to be set after the events in the trilogy. Just started it and The Dogman, Black Dow (now King of the North), Caul Shivers are all present and correct but no sign of Glokta or Logen yet.
They say Black Dow's killed more men than winter, and clawed his way to the throne of the North up a hill of skulls. The King of the Union, ever a jealous neighbour, is not about to stand smiling by while he claws his way any higher. The orders have been given and the armies are toiling through the northern mud. Thousands of men are converging on a forgotten ring of stones, on a worthless hill, in an unimportant valley, and they've brought a lot of sharpened metal with them.
Bremer dan Gorst, disgraced master swordsman, has sworn to reclaim his stolen honour on the battlefield. Obsessed with redemption and addicted to violence, he's far past caring how much blood gets spilled in the attempt. Even if it's his own.
Prince Calder isn't interested in honour, and still less in getting himself killed. All he wants is power, and he'll tell any lie, use any trick, and betray any friend to get it. Just as long as he doesn't have to fight for it himself.
Curnden Craw, the last honest man in the North, has gained nothing from a life of warfare but swollen knees and frayed nerves. He hardly even cares who wins any more, he just wants to do the right thing. But can he even tell what that is with the world burning down around him?
Over three bloody days of battle, the fate of the North will be decided. But with both sides riddled by intrigues, follies, feuds and petty jealousies, it is unlikely to be the noblest hearts, or even the strongest arms that prevail. Three men. One battle. No Heroes.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

User avatar
Jez
 
Posts: 11293
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:35 am
Location: worcestershire

Postby Jez » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:50 pm

I thought about getting this but as i said in another thread from reviews its just a rehash of the Northern War from First Law.

Yodith
 
Posts: 1419
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:09 am
Location: Edinburgh

Postby Yodith » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:49 pm

I bought the hard copy in town the other day because a) the cover art is gorgeous and b) it was only £7.49, which is cheaper than the Kindle edition. Can't say it looks massively inspiring from the description but it's Abercrombie so it should a solid read if nothing else.
Image

User avatar
Solidarity Reg
 
Posts: 3605
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:08 am
Location: Being savaged by a turbot

Postby Solidarity Reg » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:38 am

Finally got around to buying the first one of these. Just finished the first two chapters. Hell of an opening. :)

User avatar
Animalmother
 
Posts: 5372
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:46 pm

Postby Animalmother » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Finished reading the third one a few weeks ago, great stuff. Glokta is the best character I've seen in a book in an age. Must pick up this new one should be great if he keeps the same standard up.

User avatar
gpa-gone-west
 
Posts: 2955
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:38 am

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:42 pm

i have read Heroes, its my favourite book by him so far. I didnt like Best Served Cold for some strange reason.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

User avatar
Snowy
Metal as Fuck
 
Posts: 9912
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Ballhang

Re: Joe Abercrombie - The First Law Trilogy

Postby Snowy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:31 pm

So - Red Country, Joe's 6th book, is out on the 18th October and is pre-ordered to plop onto my Kindle when that date arrives.

All of his books have been superb so far, and I have high hopes for this one. Apparently there is something of a Western theme, despite it being set in the same world and time as the last five, and a certain 9-fingered Northman is rumoured to be making a return...

The Blurb wrote:They burned her home.

They stole her brother and sister.

But vengeance is following.

Shy South hoped to bury her bloody past and ride away smiling, but she'll have to sharpen up some bad old ways to get her family back, and she's not a woman to flinch from what needs doing. She sets off in pursuit with only a pair of oxen and her cowardly old stepfather Lamb for company. But it turns out Lamb's buried a bloody past of his own, and out in the lawless Far Country, the past never stays buried.

Their journey will take them across the barren plains to a frontier town gripped by gold fever, through feud, duel and massacre, high into the unmapped mountains to a reckoning with the Ghosts. Even worse, it will force them into alliance with Nicomo Cosca, infamous soldier of fortune, and his feckless lawyer Temple, two men no one should ever have to trust...

The past never stays buried...
Image
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

User avatar
gpa-gone-west
 
Posts: 2955
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:38 am

Re: Joe Abercrombie - The First Law Trilogy

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:20 pm

Snowy wrote:So - Red Country, Joe's 6th book, is out on the 18th October and is pre-ordered to plop onto my Kindle when that date arrives.

All of his books have been superb so far, and I have high hopes for this one. Apparently there is something of a Western theme, despite it being set in the same world and time as the last five, and a certain 9-fingered Northman is rumoured to be making a return...

The Blurb wrote:They burned her home.

They stole her brother and sister.

But vengeance is following.

Shy South hoped to bury her bloody past and ride away smiling, but she'll have to sharpen up some bad old ways to get her family back, and she's not a woman to flinch from what needs doing. She sets off in pursuit with only a pair of oxen and her cowardly old stepfather Lamb for company. But it turns out Lamb's buried a bloody past of his own, and out in the lawless Far Country, the past never stays buried.

Their journey will take them across the barren plains to a frontier town gripped by gold fever, through feud, duel and massacre, high into the unmapped mountains to a reckoning with the Ghosts. Even worse, it will force them into alliance with Nicomo Cosca, infamous soldier of fortune, and his feckless lawyer Temple, two men no one should ever have to trust...

The past never stays buried...


I have it and so far I am not disappointed.

As for the return of a certain 9 fingered chap, lets just say the other night as I was reading in bed, I almost jumped out of bed and shouted YES.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

User avatar
Snowy
Metal as Fuck
 
Posts: 9912
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Ballhang

Re: Joe Abercrombie - The First Law Trilogy

Postby Snowy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:55 pm

Aye nearly finished it now and it is up to Joe's usual superb standard. Blacker than Satan's arse-crack, grim laugh-out-loud humour throughout, and a very Western movie feel to it.

Recommended.
Image
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

User avatar
Scrappy
 
Posts: 6596
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:19 pm

Re: Joe Abercrombie - The First Law Trilogy

Postby Scrappy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:36 am

Very annoyed that I never got into this series when I had the chance. I bought all three books before moving and cannot find them now.

May have to re buy. I bought them at a time when a book that big wasn't really of interest to me. I was actually reading VERY little back then. I think it's time to at least buy the first one.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron