George R R Martins - A Song of Ice and Fire

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Yodith

Postby Yodith » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:03 am

I cancelled my pre-order and bought it for Kindle instead - meant I got to read the first three chapters before work this morning :D

brightroar

Postby brightroar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:23 am

Mine's out for delivery today, I actually forgot I pre-ordered. I've been waiting for this book for about seven years.

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:54 am

Mine came yesterday (from play) but it's been so long i'm pretty sure i pre-ordered it ages ago from amazon (probably from elsewhere too). Wouldn't be suprised if another couple of books turned up at the door today. Hard to believe its been 11 years since the last new Tyrion chapter. Makes me kind of glad i didn't start until AFFC came out.

brightroar

Postby brightroar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:18 pm

Grumble grumble, I wasn't in so now the post office has it captive.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Ive only just started the second book - such a fantastic series with a great TV adaption. Really enjoying it in both senses.

Tyrion is a great character

"what do you want Bronn? Gold? .... Women?.....Golden women?" :lol:

So... I have nearly 3 books to get through what i was wondering - Is this 5th book a further continuation of the main story as i understand it so far, or is it more of a "spin off" story?

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:32 pm

All part of the main story. GRRM is currently shooting for 7 books for the full thing but considering he aimed for 3 at the start...

There are a few spin-off short stories so far. They follow a Hedge Knight called Ser Duncan the tall and his Squire Egg (who will become Aegon the unlikely) and are set around 70 years before the events in aGoT. Three of them so far; The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword and the Mystery Knight. They were all published as part of compilations of short stories. I think the first was in Legends. A new one, set in the north, is due soon and will be part of a compilation about "strong women in fantasy". First two have been turned into graphic novels.

I enjoyed them and there's a lot of interesting snippets that flesh out the world and history of Westeros. If you do plan to read them i'd say they probably fit in best between aSoS and aFFC. Obviously being prequels it doesn't matter so much but there's a few things in aFFC that will make you smile or go "aha" that would otherwise seem like superfluous detail if you hadn't read them.

Yodith

Postby Yodith » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:51 am

Well, this is pretty bloody awesome. I've been rereading the first four books for so long that I had almost completely forgotten that sense of danger that comes with turning every page in a GRRM novel :D

I'm about 40% of the way through at the moment and expect I'll finish on Friday night or Saturday. I may create a spoiler thread once I'm done (if somebody else hasn't already) because there's already lots I want to talk about and it would be such a shame if anything was spoiled for anyone in here.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:01 pm

It is here, in my hands.

Fuck me, what a meaty tome!

Can't wait, but gonna give it some time. Want to have a decent session with it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Feet

Postby Feet » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:11 pm

I'm 200 pages in.

SPOILERS

It's good.
I still love you.

Yodith

Postby Yodith » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:54 am

Finished last night.

Time for that spoilers thread... There's so much to discuss :o

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:12 pm

God i love this series, why havent i read this much sooner. Every page is just fantastic, the interplay between the characters is just excellent, one of my particular favourites is that between tyrion and the other members of his household, in particular again, with Joffery. He makes such a prick of him it doesnt fail to make me smile or want to shout "YES! - have it you little shit!"

:lol:

Just great, been extolling the virtues of it to anyone that i think would have an interest in it.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:02 am

im about 2500 pages into the series now and i have to say i was beginning to flag a bit with it. Didnt seem to be much happening barring a few major incidents that havent been followed up yet. But ive just gotten to Jofferys wedding and that whole section of the book from the start of that to about 100 pages after simply had to be read till 4am this morning - such a great bit fo reading :lol:

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:08 pm

First Theon chapter in the second book is boring me. Need to press on, will read more tonight but I think I left it too long between the books.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:46 pm

You have to stick with it to get to Joffs wedding mate, hes such a wee Edwin!!! argggghh cant wait to see how the TV story handles this bit and the bits that follow.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:00 am

Almost at the end of ADWD now. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but no spoilers ofc!

I have the highly rated Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence waiting for me on my Kindle when I finish this, so won't be too sad to finish it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature