George R R Martins - A Song of Ice and Fire

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Mantis
Admin

Re: George R R Martins - A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Mantis » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:56 pm

Volume 2 of SoS just gets better and better as it goes on.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:33 pm

Sly Boots wrote:i'm just eating these up, on volume 2 of book 3 now, just read past the wedding.

Fuck man. Just... fuck.

Genuinely shocked by that.

Better hold onto your ass then, it gets more shocking in the later books. It's why it's so great.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:26 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:i'm just eating these up, on volume 2 of book 3 now, just read past the wedding.

Fuck man. Just... fuck.

Genuinely shocked by that.

Better hold onto your ass then, it gets more shocking in the later books. It's why it's so great.

I love them, can't believe it's taken me this long to find them... although it does mean I can just keep ploughing through them! I'm on book four now.

Yesterday I had a day more or less to myself, normally I'd play a game and Tomb Raider was tempting, but I spent pretty much the whole day reading. Been a long time since I found a book that unputdownable.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:03 pm

I have 4 months in Afghanistan coming up soon so im going to re-read the entire series out there i think. They are fantastic and by and large the characters from the TV series weigh up to my expectations of how they should look so it's nice to have a picture in my head of them as i read :)

Hopefully it'll be a quiet few months.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:37 pm

It's always nice when you already have a face to go with the character in a book.

Just hope you don't end up getting redirected to the South China Sea in the next few months then, them Asians is acting up.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:04 pm

About to start volume 2 of book 5.

Slightly gutted that it's not out of the question I could be in my 40s before I get to the end of this series (33 now).
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:24 pm

Welp, finished the last book (of the published ones, obv). Going to be a looong wait for the next one to come out.

Cracking series.

Oh, and
Spoiler: show
Robert Strong is obviously a Clegane zombie-monster, isn't he?

Interesting seeing some theories springing up on the net that Ned might be alive and will make a reappearance at some point.

I almost hope it doesn't get too silly by going down that route, but it's a strength of the series that the known magics - resurrections, faceless men etc - make it possible and keeps readers guessing throughout.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:32 pm

Theories that Ned might be alive? Where have you seen those? I'd love to see how utterly bonkers they are. He's dead, people need to deal with it. GRRM is too smart to cop out and bring anyone's favourite dead characters back.

I like the theory that the Hound Clegane is the grave digger on the Quiet Isle in Feast. But most fan speculation beyond that is usually nonsense.

The Snot Goblin

Postby The Snot Goblin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:41 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Oh, and
Robert Strong is obviously a Clegane zombie-monster, isn't he?

Qyborg!

Try and dig up the prequel novellas if you can (The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword, The Mystery Night). They're pretty good and tie back to the main series in lots of little ways e.g. Bloodraven.
I am going to eat Spaceman paninis with black Hitler and there is nothing you can do about it!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Ooh, didn't know about those, will check them out. :)
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Mantis wrote:Theories that Ned might be alive? Where have you seen those? I'd love to see how utterly bonkers they are. He's dead, people need to deal with it. GRRM is too smart to cop out and bring anyone's favourite dead characters back.

I like the theory that the Hound Clegane is the grave digger on the Quiet Isle in Feast. But most fan speculation beyond that is usually nonsense.

Just random discussion threads I saw on Google when I was looking for other stuff, theory seems to run that Varys and Melisandre are in cahoots, and because Varys likes Ned/thinks he's good for the realm, they either brought in a faceless man to replace Ned on the block, or resurrected him post-death. The theory reckons that you get hints something is up when Sansa says the head on the pike doesn't look like him, and Cat says his bones look too small to be his when she sees them.

Not saying I believe it, but that's one thing a few people are saying...

Edit: Oh, and I also think the Hound is alive somewhere/somehow, maybe that Gravedigger. I don't think a fairly central character like that gets killed off the page.

Oh, and I also thought Coldhands was Benjen for a while, but reading about it online it seems unlikely that's the case, although I do think we'll see him again at some point.

Finally, if
Jon is dead
, I'm going to be pretty pissed off...
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Ooh, didn't know about those, will check them out. :)

Or not.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... dition=new

:lol:
My face is tired.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:10 pm

It's scary how fucking stupid some of the fan theory's can be. There's several nuggets of gold out there though, like the gravedigger and R+L=J which I want to be true.

A good thing to check back on is the various prophecies and how accurate some of them are when you look back. Bran dreams about Robert the Strong back in the first book for example, and the ghost of high heart predicts a few deaths before they happen.

*edit*
Sly, steal the short stories, you can always buy them for reals when they get compiled.

brightroar

Postby brightroar » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:52 am

That's the graphic novel. The short stories are just text in their original form, they were released in a bunch of different anthologies of various works so they're an arse to track down in print, but very easy to aquire in a popular ebook format from your local shady end of the internet.

Though there's a fourth one in the works, once that's out the lot of them will be released as one volume.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:04 pm

Might wait and get that tbh.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature