H.P. Lovecraft

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Stormbringer

Re:

Postby Stormbringer » Thu May 05, 2016 11:25 pm

Solidarity Reg wrote:My gf lent me The Great God Pan, which was apparently a big inspiration on Lovecraft's work, as well as other horror writers. It's really quite good.

Yes, this story is excellent. It is by Arthur Machen -- the Welsh equivalent of H.P. Lovecraft! Although his writing is more difficult to get into (I've tried, but so far my only success has been with The Great God Pan), he's actually a much more interesting guy than Lovecraft, especially in regard to his religious views.
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Mournblade

Re: H.P. Lovecraft

Postby Mournblade » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:32 am

I've decided I don't like H.P. Lovecraft anymore.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:56 pm

How come?

I very rarely read HPL these days, and his stories contained a lot of misses, but he wrote some real belters too.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:15 pm

I guess I've outgrown whatever it was I enjoyed about his prose.

I've also learned considerably more about his character, philosophy and worldview over the years and I find it all a bit repugnant.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:04 pm

It’s because he would have been forced to play the new Call Of Cthulhu game and it’s got polygons in it.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:38 pm

It all started this morning when I was casually browsing Twitter.

I follow an account which infrequently Tweets H.P. Lovecraft quotes. Not quotes from his fiction, I should mention, but quotes from his letters, expressing his odious views on various aspects of life.

I read today's misanthropic utterance, and it hit me suddenly: "This guy is really obnoxious! Why would I want to read anything by him?"

Then suddenly all my interest vanished like a vapour in the wind.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:31 pm

A lot of artists especially from olden times are pishy folk. One of those separate the art from the artist things. That said, I still throw up in my mouth every time I hear Lost Prophets
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:40 pm

eVoL wrote:One of those separate the art from the artist things.

I've never been too good at that; once I realise I really don't like an artist (often because they have views I can't abide) I usually want nothing to do with their work, no matter how good it is of itself.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:03 am

Mournblade wrote:
eVoL wrote:One of those separate the art from the artist things.

I've never been too good at that; once I realise I really don't like an artist (often because they have views I can't abide) I usually want nothing to do with their work, no matter how good it is of itself.

Yes I know what you mean - I struggle to listen to Pantera since Phil Anselmo was outed as a nasty little white power bellend for example.

HPL was a very odd soul - and I know he had some fairly unpleasant views. I wonder how much of that was a product of his time and environment though, and have never read enough about them to turn me off his books.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:17 am

I've read some of the guy's letters and, even for the 1920s, his views on race were very much beyond being a "product of his time". No doubt his views were probably more socially acceptable (to a certain degree) in his time, but his own particular ideas were pretty extreme, even then! Granted, there may have been unique factors at work in his own life, such as his family's beliefs, the books he read, etc., which contributed to this mindset, but it doesn't excuse him.

Now, I know it's easy to harshly judge historical figures by our modern liberal standards, and to be brutally honest I'm usually the last person to do that! I'm actually a bit sick of SJWs who say: "So and so from x hundred years ago was a RACIST!" Yeah, everyone was "racist" by today's meaningless definition, if you go far back enough.

It's just that as I get older and (hopefully) a little wiser, I can no longer claim to be a Lovecraft fan with a clean conscience. His worldview was truly vile, and though I once enjoyed his flowery language and fantastic ability to conjure atmosphere, he does inject a lot of his ideology into his fiction, and I remember a younger, more vulnerable, more impressionable version of myself being badly poisoned by it.

I did recently (like a year or two ago) go through something of a resurgence where I read a lot of Lovecraft again and was able to differentiate between the man and the art, but now I'm finding I no longer want to associate with either.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:33 pm

I read his entire works on Kindle a few years ago and finally picked up a nice hardback edition recently. Made a start on them but haven't really managed a great deal of progress so far. I'm aware that he held some pretty nasty views on racial supremacy, but having never actually made an effort to seek out any of his specific statements I can still enjoy his stories, even when his views clearly shine through in certain texts.

Having said that, I think it is possible to separate the artist from his works, particularly when they've left a very influential and thriving legacy. A huge amount of modern fantasy, many things you wouldn't even necessarily initially think, owe their inspiration to him.

I'll always be enthralled by the concept that certain universal truths are either so horrifying or unknowable that to discover them would drive a man insane. It's a brilliant metaphor for the idea of taking the quest for knowledge or philosophical musings too far.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:17 pm

Mournblade wrote:I've read some of the guy's letters and, even for the 1920s, his views on race were very much beyond being a "product of his time". No doubt his views were probably more socially acceptable (to a certain degree) in his time, but his own particular ideas were pretty extreme, even then! Granted, there may have been unique factors at work in his own life, such as his family's beliefs, the books he read, etc., which contributed to this mindset, but it doesn't excuse him.

Now, I know it's easy to harshly judge historical figures by our modern liberal standards, and to be brutally honest I'm usually the last person to do that! I'm actually a bit sick of SJWs who say: "So and so from x hundred years ago was a RACIST!" Yeah, everyone was "racist" by today's meaningless definition, if you go far back enough.

It's just that as I get older and (hopefully) a little wiser, I can no longer claim to be a Lovecraft fan with a clean conscience. His worldview was truly vile, and though I once enjoyed his flowery language and fantastic ability to conjure atmosphere, he does inject a lot of his ideology into his fiction, and I remember a younger, more vulnerable, more impressionable version of myself being badly poisoned by it.

I did recently (like a year or two ago) go through something of a resurgence where I read a lot of Lovecraft again and was able to differentiate between the man and the art, but now I'm finding I no longer want to associate with either.

To be fair apparently he softened with the racist shit after he'd lived in New York for a while, even if he did set an novel there that was pretty racist ¬_¬

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:56 pm

To be honest it's not simple racism that has so put me off him, but more his entire "Cosmicist" worldview and all its implications that I find to be intolerable.

I would rather read stories about heroic individuals performing heroic deeds for higher causes than about sensitive aristocrats who suffer mental breakdowns and kill their children because they discover their family might have "polluted" blood, etc.

Previous

Return to Music and Literature