Far Cry 2 - Tears of the Gun 10 Year Retrospective

Shoot the shit.
Prey
Admin

Far Cry 2 - Tears of the Gun 10 Year Retrospective

Postby Prey » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:29 am

So as we all know Far Cry 2 turns 10 years old come October and as discussion for the game has continued in the FC5 thread I thought it a good idea to create a dedicated thread so as not to keep diverting the actual FC5 discussion for those who are playing it right now. To begin whether you like or dislike the game please watch the following video (or don't - your choice) and ascertain any relevant thoughts you may have from it if it helps and we can continue the discussion in here. Cheers.

Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Medicine Man

Re: Far Cry 2 - Tears of the Gun 10 Year Retrospective

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 am

Far Cry 2 was the best thing to ever happen to that Far Cry 5 thread :P

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:47 am

:lol:

Well at least now we can feel unshackled free to profess our love for the game - the best Far Cry game.

I still have the boxed limited edition version you sent me btw man. I still clean it with high quality polish ffs. :lol:

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:16 pm

Spec Ops: The Line felt very much like FC2. I know both were based on Heart of Darkness but they played very similar as well I think. Bad people killing other bad people in a bad place.

Watched a video connecting the 4 games. Jack (main protagonist) from FC1 is likely the Jackal in FC2.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Prey wrote::lol:

Well at least now we can feel unshackled free to profess our love for the game - the best Far Cry game.

I still have the boxed limited edition version you sent me btw man. I still clean it with high quality polish ffs. :lol:

Noice! As the young folk say.

You got the super duper limited edition as well, the one with 500g of Morrison's white chocolate. It's a one-off one-of-a-kind exclusive tip-top collectors set that will no doubt be worth a small fortune.

That is of course unless you've done something insane like, oh I don't know... eat it.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:23 pm

Well I just considered it to be y'know, edible DLC. Consumed it was. Ubisoft DLC never tasted so good!

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:12 pm

:D

Pro-tip for anyone re-playing this on modern hardware. Enable V-Sync.

It stops the bouncing NPCs and the progress halting looping dialogue during the tutorial section. Now if I can only solve the missing phone audio I might be able to get right back into it. :-k

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:02 pm

Chocolate? Was it in the shape of a golden AK or blood diamond at least?

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:35 pm

I just hated the AI in the second that was always putting holes into the buildings exactly where you are, the respawning checkpoints and the weapons jamming mechanic. You kill the AI that has zero issues with it's gun but soon as it drops to the floor and you pick it up it would jam on you a lot of the times.

The Malaria aspect was a nice touch to the game but I didn't really progress that far into it to see much else barring the first 2 hours of gameplay I reckon.

The video I posted in the other thread had sort of piqued my interest in giving it another go at some point though since no uplay needed for it ;)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:17 pm

The games weaknesses were all relatively minor compared to the main meat of the game; freeform, random encounters in a wonderfully immersive environment.

Plus it had the perfect balance of 'stuff' to see and do. In each session you could set yourself a bunch of goals and not get overwhelmed by extra bits & pieces. The enemies would flank you (much more realistically than FC3 IMO) and the gunplay was gritty and fun.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:31 pm

Fixed it!:
If you encounter bugs in the game (AI loops, silent phonecalls, crashes), limit FPS to 45 - over 60 and this game will break. Your computer is too good. Over 60FPS there are bugs. Over 90, some issues... over 120FPS render and this game will break down big time...

You can fix this, make the game look awesome and also have fun replaying the best Farcry of the entire series (IMHO) at max settings, like you couldn't way back when:

Load and setup FC2 at native resolution, check widescreen box.

If the resolution does not step up, lower resolution, apply, then re-select native res (eg, 1920x1080). Do not run in "windowed" - if it is in windowed, you can use Alt+Enter to switch to full screen, however this can cause further issue and some crashes.

Select DX10

Apply, save, close game.

Right click FC2 in steam library.

Choose "set launch options" in general tab and enter this string:

-RenderProfile_MaxFps 45 -GameProfile_SkipIntroMovies 1

The first solves issues with the game rendering faster than 60FPS which causes many bugs. Many agree that 45 is optimal for this game...

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 pm

Good stuff Rusty. I have to post this EG Let's Play which was only uploaded today as it seems everyone is currently talking about FC2 just as much as they are about FC5. Never a bad thing. Enjoy.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:32 am

Rusty wrote:Fixed it!:
If you encounter bugs in the game (AI loops, silent phonecalls, crashes), limit FPS to 45 - over 60 and this game will break. Your computer is too good. Over 60FPS there are bugs. Over 90, some issues... over 120FPS render and this game will break down big time...

You can fix this, make the game look awesome and also have fun replaying the best Farcry of the entire series (IMHO) at max settings, like you couldn't way back when:

Load and setup FC2 at native resolution, check widescreen box.

If the resolution does not step up, lower resolution, apply, then re-select native res (eg, 1920x1080). Do not run in "windowed" - if it is in windowed, you can use Alt+Enter to switch to full screen, however this can cause further issue and some crashes.

Select DX10

Apply, save, close game.

Right click FC2 in steam library.

Choose "set launch options" in general tab and enter this string:

-RenderProfile_MaxFps 45 -GameProfile_SkipIntroMovies 1

The first solves issues with the game rendering faster than 60FPS which causes many bugs. Many agree that 45 is optimal for this game...

Danke Rusty ma man, all sorted now. Beautiful!

Lee wrote:I just hated the AI in the second that was always putting holes into the buildings exactly where you are, the respawning checkpoints and the weapons jamming mechanic. You kill the AI that has zero issues with it's gun but soon as it drops to the floor and you pick it up it would jam on you a lot of the times.

The Malaria aspect was a nice touch to the game but I didn't really progress that far into it to see much else barring the first 2 hours of gameplay I reckon.

The video I posted in the other thread had sort of piqued my interest in giving it another go at some point though since no uplay needed for it ;)

Also Far Cry 5 thread for this pish. :P

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:15 am

I restarted this. I will dabble every so often. Last time I played this (I think it was about 8 years ago) I ploughed 40+ hours into it. The gunplay is great fun but the re-spawning is a nightmare. After almost dying on numerous attempts in clearing out an outpost only to have the enemy respawn the second you leave the zone is very much ](*,)

The ending was pretty weak but the journey was fun overall. Sabotaging conveys, picking diamonds and using the dried environment to your advantage with bush fires never got old.
Games playing : Doom / Attila Total War / Syndicate

Return to FPS & Action