Sea of Theives

Shoot the shit.
Asherons

Sea of Theives

Postby Asherons » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:32 pm

Anyone give this game a try?

Me and my brother have been playing it and it really is pretty fun game. Best sailing/pirate type of game I've played. We run the two man sloop with one sail and two cannons. Have gotten into a few pretty sweet ship battles where we are launching cannonballs and then sail up on them and board their ship, kill them and then beach their ship so they have to respawn some where else

Haven't gotten to steal any loot off other players yet cause all the ships we attack are empty of everything but Mats but the game is good and solid fun. Even if it going to be short lived .

It's nice cause there is no progression other then cosmetics so everyone is the same strength and opperates the same ships. Should give it a look if your interested in some fun ship pvp and reading maps to hunt for burried treasure

Also the game is 60$ but if you get the xbox playpass or whatever for the monthly fee , first month is free and then 10$ a month and sea of theives is included along with alot of other games.

Pew-Pew

Re: Sea of theives

Postby Pew-Pew » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:53 pm

I like the idea of it, but it seems a bit empty and is also way too expensive for what it is. It also seems like you need people to consistently play with, which can be a challenge.
Prey wrote: plus i rally want to jukmp on my wife but she ssleep.

i might ha ve to giver her a moo o rtwo

-_-

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:57 pm

Yeah, same as above really. I think to get the most out of it you need to play with friends, judging by what I've been reading about it on RPS etc. If it ever drops to a rock-bottom price in a future steam sale it could be worth a giggle if a few on here fancy picking it up.
My face is tired.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:01 pm

I was really interested in this as the art style was fantastic but for the content inside of it and that you need windows store to get it. The price isn't really justifiable.

Mack did a good video on it.

Formerly MrAnnoyed

Asherons

Postby Asherons » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:34 pm

Yeah I wouldn't pay 60$ for it but my friend had four 1 month game pass codes and handed out to us so we got it for free for now. Maybe will sub for one month of the game pass if I'm still playing it but so far I've paid 0$ to play it so it's worth it so far

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:50 pm

Difficult to get past all the reports concerning the game having so little actual content with some stating it has as little as 10% of what you'd expect an open world game to have...

The problem is that Sea of Thieves is not a complete game. It just isn’t. It’s maybe 5 or 10% of one, but given what other open world/co-op games can offer you for $60, it’s just astonishing how little Sea of Thieves offers. The issues? Where to start.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin ... ea0c226beb

Then there's all the griefing happening with many just sat in docks waiting for people to show up who they can nab loot from. Pirates be pirates y'all.

"PvP is a poorly thought-through griefing nightmare. Other players almost always attack on sight, derailing your quests or just being flat out annoying. My last three quests in a row, I went to turn in a chest and came back to find that someone had stolen my empty ship for literally no reason other than to be irritating. The last time, someone called me a "c***" on their mic as I tried to swim after my departing ship, and then shot me in the head. Good times."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seaofthieves/c ... e_than_10/

Let's be crystal here there's always going to be the way a game is intended to be played and then there's the way gamers will play said game.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Asherons

Re: Sea of Theives

Postby Asherons » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:05 pm

Yeah if I see another ship I engage them, pvp is the reason to play the game I think, alot of fun if you are playing with your friends. Can launch yourself out of the cannon onto another person's boat, and help sink it by preventing them from making repairs.

Losing the ship doesn't matter much if it gets sunk. There is no death penelty. And if you die and your ship is still sailing it's only about a 30 second wait to respawn.

And if your ship is taken over you can scuttle it and spawn again somewhere else.

But it's a pirate game where all over ships are captained by real players so pvp is for certain gonna be happening quite a bit.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:09 pm

Anyone thinking they made it this price to make there gamepass bullshit seem like a good idea? I forgot that they want you to subscribe to them for game access. Be a sneaky way to get people into the system. Just a thought.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Asherons

Postby Asherons » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:23 pm

Lee wrote:Anyone thinking they made it this price to make there gamepass bullshit seem like a good idea? I forgot that they want you to subscribe to them for game access. Be a sneaky way to get people into the system. Just a thought.

Yeah that's gotta be the reason. With the one month game pass I used they gave you a second free month if you sign up for recurring payment. As long as I remember to cancel it before I get charged I'll be in the clear

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:07 pm

This is the most colossal miss possible for me. A griefer's paradise? Fuck me no.

I would love a good pirate game, the market is hardly awash with them and from Treasure Island to Black Sails I love a good pirate yarn. I could get around the graphics on this (although it would be hard), but any title that exposes me to the cunts of the internet in an unconstrained PvP setting can gently lick my dangling sac.

I wouldn't have touched this with a shitty stick before Mack dismembered it, let alone after. Total wasted opportunity to make a good game.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:40 pm

Snowy wrote:This is the most colossal miss possible for me. A griefer's paradise? Fuck me no.

I would love a good pirate game, the market is hardly awash with them and from Treasure Island to Black Sails I love a good pirate yarn. I could get around the graphics on this (although it would be hard), but any title that exposes me to the cunts of the internet in an unconstrained PvP setting can gently lick my dangling sac.

I wouldn't have touched this with a shitty stick before Mack dismembered it, let alone after. Total wasted opportunity to make a good game.

Utterly butterly scutterly agree ! :roll:

The PvP thing is fine but if that's the lionshare of the content then this really is a miss. Doesn't even seem like the PvP is particularly good or well designed. Add to this a very poor launch....

They've made my avatar very sad indeed. He might even weep a bit.

Asherons

Postby Asherons » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:51 pm

Yeah if you aren't big on pvp this wouldn't be for you. Getting treasure and delivering goods is just a catalyst for giving you a reason to prevent being boarded and taken over or a reason to pirate other ships and take them over and steal their treasure.

Since no progression it's nice knowing you won't run into some nerd who devotes their life to the game who stomps you immediately. Me and my buddies are enjoying it for what it is, though if we had to pay for the game we probably wouldn't of even given it a shot

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:55 pm

Asherons wrote:If you aren't big on pvp this wouldn't be for you

Putting it mildly me old mate :D
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:15 pm

I've played a bit with some friends and whilst the sailing is good fun and it's a laugh playing with other people the stuff you actually do is rather limited. Most the quests are just fetch quests and get boring quickly, there is nor real progression either so all you are really doing the quests for is to buy some new clothes. I've not had any issues with the PvP, but people I know who have experienced the camping say it is not fun.

It seems like they have the basis of a good game, but it needs a fair bit of work and content. Could be worth checking back in in a few months.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Asherons

Postby Asherons » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:44 pm

Oh lordy last night had a full crew in the galleon and we we're doing great. Have this strategy where we roll up on the other boat. I get launched out of the cannon next to their boat and sneak on. Steal as many supplies as I can (bananas,boards,cannonballs) then I wait below deck for my shipmates to poke a hole in the ship and do my best to defend the holes so they can't repair and will sink faster.

We also came across a sloop picking up treasure off an island. We took over their ship, found them on the island and killed them for the loot then escaped with it back to an Outpost and sold the goods before they could catch us. It was a ton of fun, played till like 4:30am

Next

Return to FPS & Action