Ion Maiden - An All-New Build Engine Game

Shoot the shit.
Subway Diet

Ion Maiden - An All-New Build Engine Game

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:17 am

The true successor to classic shooters such as Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood.
Built using the original "Build" engine, with additional enhancements to further improve the technology.
Beautiful hand-crafted artwork, built using original old-school tools and methodologies.
7 exciting Zones, each spanning multiple maps.
Tons of enemies, weapons and carnage!
Best of both worlds! ION MAIDEN brings back the classic '90s FPS action you love, with modern additions such as physics and checkpoints.
Classic level design, no procedural generation! Expect multiple paths, cool effects, and complex set pieces!
True tracked module music!
Incredible weapons with alternate firemodes!
Easy access to development tools and modding (Steam Workshop) on day one!
... And about Multiplayer... Stay tuned!

Screenshots \/
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

Why try an make a "retro feeling" FPS when you can just use the Build engine and work from there?

Currently up for Early Access/pre-order on Steam, GOG and 3D Realms own site, where you can play through an mini prequel episode to whet your appetite.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/562860/Ion_Maiden/
https://www.gog.com/game/ion_maiden
https://3drealms.com/catalog/ion-maiden_56/

Impressions seem positive so far. Got it installed but yet to give it a shot myself. Will report back later.
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Re: Ion Maiden - An All-New Build Engine Game

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:15 pm

Just blasted my way through the preview campaign. Took about an hour, but it's good stuff!

The game had one goal, and pretty much everything it sets out to do (be a modern Build FPS) it pulls off. If you've played Duke3D, Shadow Warrior or Blood (with a little bit of TekWar), expect that, only much bigger and louder.

I'll admit that an hour of dense gameplay might not be worth the asking price of fourteen quid alone, but knowing that there'll be a full game later this year has me excited.
End of an Era

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:07 am

Yup fucking fantastic game and I can't wait for the full release now :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:40 pm

Is that the same woman that was in the shitty top-down shooter 3DR released a couple of years ago?
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Edwin wrote:Is that the same woman that was in the shitty top-down shooter 3DR released a couple of years ago?
Yeah. Forgot to mention that this started as a promotional thing for Bombshell. Only, once that bombed, everyone apparently decided it was a better idea to make a proper game of this instead.

Glad it panned out that way.

Would like to think it's kind of a Sonic Mania situation. Where the modders and fans impress the IP holding company (though, how big 3D Realms is these days is a mystery) enough that they get a budget. Now they're off making games as they were in the 90s. You know; A small group of people with a vision and who actually give a shit. :lol:
End of an Era

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:25 pm

I can't see this succeeding like Sonic Mania. The gap in technology between Sonic and a modern 2D platformer is much smaller than Duke 3D and basically any modern FPS, also Sonic Mania had Sonic in it which still manages to sell games somehow.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:41 pm

Sonic Mania succeeded because the super-fast, pinball-style of platforming that made early Sonic games great just does not work well in 3D, and so returning to the 2D style simply made for a better game. Build Engine is not fundamentally better than, say, the Unreal or Crytech engines, so I don't think it's a good comparison.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:29 pm

Wasn't comparing the games directly. Just the whole Modders turned developers making games "the old way" situation.
Noticed that the core teams who're working/worked on Ion Maiden and Sonic Mainia are as big, if not bigger than those who worked on the likes of Duke 3D or Sonic the Hedgehog.
End of an Era

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:18 pm

iD tech 1 isn’t fundamentally better than any other engine but Dooms still the best! ;)
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:00 pm

eVoL wrote:iD tech 1 isn’t fundamentally better than any other engine but Dooms still the best! ;)
You know... you're not wrong.
Build had a lot of neat tricks, and the density of the detail in some of those games was pretty amazing. But there's something to be said for the purity of Doom.

People like me making wild comparisons, so here's another: Doom is the Tetris of FPS. :P
End of an Era

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Wild, but 100% accurate.

Doom along with Tetris are perfect video games.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:09 am

I've been playing Doom in some form or another since the 1990's. The fact that people are still modding it 25 years after its release is pretty amazing, Brutal Doom being the pinnacle of perfection.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:53 am

I think I’ve finished every port of doom except the IOS one because of the awful touch pish. Saturn is probably the worst version at least from a hardware expectation level.

Who else has read the epic tale of Flynn Taggert and Arlene Sanders? ie the Doom quadrilogy novelisation.... Nobody? Aww :(. I have a soft spot for what hot trash they are, the last two being a fair bit worse than the first two.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:08 pm

My favourite version is Ultimate Doom+Doom2(joined together) on PC but with the PSX soundtrack modded. Brings back so many memories each time I play through it.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:59 pm

eVoL wrote:Who else has read the epic tale of Flynn Taggert and Arlene Sanders? ie the Doom quadrilogy novelisation.... Nobody? Aww :(. I have a soft spot for what hot trash they are, the last two being a fair bit worse than the first two.
The only thing I know about those books is a single passage that was brought to my attention:

Arlene found a switch that opened a hidden room; we went with the flow. Entering the chamber, we marveled at how different it was from what we'd seen before. The entire room was constructed of that black, oily, ulcerating wood. There was one object in the room, placed at dead center; a bas relief of a demonic monster more horrible, or more ridiculous, than any we'd fought. Every physical attribute of the thing was exaggerated so that it almost seemed to be a cartoon. The largest protuberance of all was its penis, sticking out at a 45-degree angle.

Oh really? :-k
End of an Era

Next

Return to FPS & Action