Subnautica

Shoot the shit.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Subnautica

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:19 am

Lee wrote:It's relaxing building bases but not when exploring new places for the first time on limited oxygen or some big beastie trying to eat your ass. The sounds cranking up that fear factor as well :lol:

Hells yeah, the music. I went to one new zone in my little seamoth, very deep and dark, and almost at once the music went really threatening and oppressive. I just thought "fuck that" and got the hell out of dodge.

I never went back either :lol:
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:12 am

I made probably little progress but it took a good few hours. Got the little propeller-thingy you hold on to to move about more quickly, lead lined suit etc and visited the remains of the big ship, but found I was mostly just looking for metals that I never seemed to find to move myself forwards and kinda petered out. I will probably go back at some stage :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:38 am

Snowy wrote:I made probably little progress but it took a good few hours. Got the little propeller-thingy you hold on to to move about more quickly, lead lined suit etc and visited the remains of the big ship, but found I was mostly just looking for metals that I never seemed to find to move myself forwards and kinda petered out. I will probably go back at some stage :)

Once you've spent a few days building your basic tools by scavenging resources around your pod, you're then pointed towards heading out to larger wrecks, getting more detailed blueprints, base elements and so on. The pacing is kinda cool actually and feels quite natural.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:53 am

Yeah I just found myself getting into a bit of a rut - catch fish, bottle water, swim about looking for metals, end up with the world's biggest titanium mountain but no lead, gold, silver etc. Back to the pod, rinse and repeat. Felt a little too much like work and no sense of progress, so I drifted away from it.

I know there is a great game there, I was hooked until I felt that making progress was stalled.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:13 am

There's no shame in perusing a wiki if you need to find out where certain materials might be found. Just get to build the seamoth and things open up quick after that. If you see any wrecks easily accessible get out and scan the bits to gain more blueprints. I wouldn't bother stockpiling too much stuff either. Just get what you need for a particular project and move on. Once you build your bases and such you'll have plenty of room to store up spare materials.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:40 am

Snowy wrote:Yeah I just found myself getting into a bit of a rut - catch fish, bottle water, swim about looking for metals, end up with the world's biggest titanium mountain but no lead, gold, silver etc. Back to the pod, rinse and repeat. Felt a little too much like work and no sense of progress, so I drifted away from it.

I know there is a great game there, I was hooked until I felt that making progress was stalled.

What Jez said. Also would add I played on freedom mode, so I wouldn't have to faff about with food and water meters. Probably enjoyed it a lot more because of that.
My face is tired.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:17 am

Freedom mode?!!! Sly you missed out on more things to make your adrenaline go mental :D

It's not that bad managing water and food intake like it is in a lot of other games that has the mechanic, thankfully.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 am

Nah I liked playing with that turned on personally. Using the "gravity gun" to catch the fish makes it easier. You can get upgrades to your knife that cooks fish on kill also. There are lots of other little things like that which make it easier when you build them.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Lee wrote:Freedom mode?!!! Sly you missed out on more things to make your adrenaline go mental :D

It's not that bad managing water and food intake like it is in a lot of other games that has the mechanic, thankfully.

Well, I didn't know what it would be like when I first started playing, and didn't want the aggravation of managing all that while I was learning to play. I might go down that route for a replay.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:38 pm

I've played a few games with this sort of eating/drinking aspect to it and I found that these guys did it really well in Subnautica.

Previous

Return to FPS & Action