Middle-Earth: Shadow of War [PC, PS4, XBone]

Shoot the shit.
elgaucho

Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War

Postby elgaucho » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:51 am

I really wasn't going to get this yet.

I really enjoyed the first game, finished it and about 80-90% completion on side quests.

But this didn't look deep enough to warrant a day one purchase.

Darn you Snowy.

Reading your posts got me to take the plunge. I mean, I wanted it anyway, but there are so many games vying for attention at the moment.

But still, i'm playing this day after day, kill after kill.

It's brilliant fun.

I'm not getting the battles and stories you are. I think i'm too calculating for that. I see an opponent getting too powerful, and i cut them down to size promptly.

A couple of times i'm caught out by an ambush. One fucker last night ambushed me as i was capturing my first fortress and downed me. What i didn't realise is that he was traited for no last chances... shit.

That pissed me off. I hunted that sod down straight away and chopped him to bits. Seeing him split into two in slow motion got an evil, gleeful yelp of satisfaction from me!

I shouldn't have. He would have made a good recruit. But i SO wanted to. And I did. And I loved it. :twisted:

And that is Shadow of War.

Picking fights, researching fights, calculating the odds, Saying to yourself... Am i hard enough for this fight? Or do i thin the herd? How do i thin the herd? Mounted drake fire? Poison barrels? Fire Explosions? Intense melee combat and finishers? Let all the Caragors and Graugs loose?

There are so many choices, and it doesn't feel grindy. I see why it should, but I'm enjoying it too much. That adrenaline from a close scrape, or a near victory, turning things around right at the end.

That annoying moment when a captain adapts to your style, and you're desperately looking for that new weakness to exploit, a way past his defences, or enough grunts to charge up your wrath for an execution.

I love picking fights with no intel, and just taking a chance that he has a weakness.

I WANT one of these gobs to freak me out and force me to retreat, or rethink. I HATE when the ologs enrage and come charging at me, again and again and again. Why won't the enrage run out? I'm running out of space to dodge! I can't get an attack in! What's my maneouvre? my play? It's tense, but so much fun!

So yeah... i'll be playing a good while past the level 21 or 22 that i've reached so far! 8)
Last edited by elgaucho on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:25 am

Good write up Gaucho:)

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:40 pm

With my rotten luck with AC origins this morning it was pretty much logical that this became my next new purchase instead. Now just to see if my PC has the sacred CPU life force within to actually run it...

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:19 pm

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:03 pm

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:55 pm

......i can't watch.

This one will work I'm sure Dave.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:56 pm

I'm pleased to say it does. 60fps cap. Mix of High and Ultra High settings. Runs beautifully and I don't even have to use the included dynamic resolution option like my son does on his 1050 ti which he has set to 30.

See guys. While I may not win every battle I've not yet lost the war. :mrgreen: :wink:

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:48 am

That's great news Dave - as a consolation prize, SoW ranks pretty highly!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:43 pm

Level 13 now and working my way through Cirith Ungol (sp?) as I now have a fair few upgrades and much better gear to my name the game has clicked right into place even more. I've still not yet got my hands on the ring but that's not to say I'm not still thoroughly enjoying doing stuff and have taken on and successfully completed several Vendetta Missions. The mission structure is pretty diverse and much better than what was on offer in the first outing. There's all the stuff surrounding Shelob, the poems, investigatory stuff and so much more besides to keep you busy. I've had some truly memorable encounters with various types of enemies big and small and one enemy in particular named er...crap...machine...the wall...no wai I think it was grog...something who absolutely lost his shit when I blew up some random grog barrels during a fight and proceeded to chase me across most of the map telling me off for ruining his hard work. You do tend to encounter so many enemies during a single session I find it hard to keep track of their rather odd names I admit. Pretty sure it was Grog though.

The main thing I should mention right now is just how non intrusive the loot system actually is and I am in fact having fun gaining mithril via whatever means I can including upping my gem slots so that I get much more when I do get it. It's a great little system and works very well and there's no real need to really purchase anything above silver loot stuff because you seemingly get everything the game has to offer in terms of epic, rare and legendary one way or another as you progress.

Oh and another reason I will be eternally grateful I switched to Nvidia. Lovely lovely Ansel which I've played around with quite a bit so far...

I'm now certainly no longer all that bothered I didn't get to play AC Origins because this is delivering an entirely different experience to what I initially expected it would and I can see me ploughing a great deal of time into it. I'm currently causing trouble in the northern Dark Stronghold area taking on someone called Horzo or something. Anyway enough from me, the game is fantastic.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:02 am

Without any spoilers Dave, follow the story quests that lead you to the Ring (iirc it means going back to the starting area). One, because the mission is pretty damned epic, and two because you get the ring which opens up another upgrade slot.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:06 pm

I was awarded both the Blade of Vengeance and the Armour of Vengeance for completing several online missions were I had to avenge other online players - sadly no Sword of Vengeance just yet. I'm still waiting for something that has an actual hood cape wise as I think it looks much cooler with one. Legendary gear looks very well, legendary. Itsanice. I've already put 23 hours into playing, blimey. :lol:

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:51 pm

Aye, it has a lot in common with AssCreed - both absolutely devour hours :)

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:09 pm

I switched to playing the game on Nemesis difficulty yesterday as I was finding the game a bit too easy for my liking and I was both stealthing and killing my way around without any true challenge behind it. It plays much better now.

Wasn't enjoying the fact I could almost stand in front of an enemy and their vision cone still wouldn't pick up on me while playing on Normal mode and let's face it a game with no danger is a game that's far less fun to play through. Anyhow I've now defeated the Nazgûl and have obtained the ring. I will admit I almost did severely regret changing the difficulty at one point as it took me around three attempts and was just starting to get frustrating when I finally put together the correct tactics to win. I have to say also that the new region Núrnen looks bloody amazing and is miles ahead of anything seen in the original game. Beautiful place.

Spoiler: show

Now to build myself an Army...

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:38 am

Prey wrote:Anyhow I've now defeated the Nazgûl and have obtained the ring. I will admit I almost did severely regret changing the difficulty at one point as it took me around three attempts and was just starting to get frustrating when I finally put together the correct tactics to win.

Took me 3 attempts on normal :D

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:19 am

Yeah was a tricky fight that one.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action