Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - DEMO Released

Shoot the shit.
Mantis
Admin

Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - DEMO Released

Postby Mantis » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:45 am

The price has jumped a lot in the last decade or so out of line with inflation, but if you look at the trend since the 1990s then generally they haven't kept up with inflation overall.

The simple fact is that there's more games than ever being made, more gamers than ever who are more strapped for cash than ever. Acting like people waiting for price drops before buying leading to rapid discounts within weeks of release is in some way a bad thing is silly. The market sets the price, supply and demand, if more and more people are holding off on purchasing games for £50-£60 then that's a sign that they don't consider them to be worth that price, and let face it most of them aren't really. And let's not get into talking about inflation and wages being way out of line shall we?

I will never pay £50 for a 10 hour campaign. Ever.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:48 am

Also to add because I'm posting from mobile and it takes me ages to type anything. But where games haven't kept up with inflation (54.99 for FIFA when it would be 61 for example) they more than make up the difference by locking various content behind additional paywalls.

Acting like these companies are in any way hard up and deserve our pity is foolish. All they care about is your money, and by and large they are still raking it in.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:50 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:Just some examples.

Football Manager 2011 on launch was £27.99, Football Manager 2018 is £35. £27.99 is worth £34.47 today.
Fifa 11 on PS3 was £49.99, Fifa 18 on PS4 was £54.99. £49.99 is worth £61.56 today.

These are Amazon prices for physical copies.

But I can bring up just as many examples otherwise, they'll always be some exceptions. I paid £25 for ME2 on release in 2010 and even as recently as 2013 Amazon were selling Total War games on release for £25.

My whole back catalogue of PC games circa 2009-2011 were all in that price range on release from Play, Amazon, Game, Shopto, etc. Whereas now, pretty much all the PC games I look at come in at £40-50. (Unless it's a small developer releasing something at a lower value)

In real terms, for me as a buyer of PC games, it's gone higher than inflation. It's a simple fact for me, there's no argument on its effect on me as a gamer.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:59 am

Yeah wages haven't tracked with inflation that is true, but the game industry is not the only place where prices have gone up with inflation, everyone is doing the same across all industries so I don't think it is fair to single out the games industry for this.

I do agree that prices fall a lot faster after release than they used to, but I don't think you are a mug if you want to play a game as soon as it comes out and are willing to pay the price. End of the day on a personal level a game is worth as much you are willing to pay for it.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:01 am

Acting like these companies are in any way hard up and deserve our pity is foolish

Nobody is doing this Mantis.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:06 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:Yeah wages haven't tracked with inflation that is true, but the game industry is not the only place where prices have gone up with inflation, everyone is doing the same across all industries so I don't think it is fair to single out the games industry for this.

I do agree that prices fall a lot faster after release than they used to, but I don't think you are a mug if you want to play a game as soon as it comes out and are willing to pay the price. End of the day on a personal level a game is worth as much you are willing to pay for it.

It isn't just the game industry, it's just this is a predominantly gaming forum and this is a thread for a game that's just been halved in price after less than a month.

I've also been priced out of going to the cinema. To take us and the kids to see a film on release would be £40 minimum just for the tickets, and if people want a snack each (and they will), you can double that. The only time we go see anything now is months after release they have a kids showing on a weekend morning, £2.50 a head for tickets and we make sure to get any snacks beforehand at the supermarket. If it's a film my wife or I want to see we wait until it's showing on Netflix or something and rent it instead.

Books are too expensive. I love books and cherish my library, but these days I just buy things for my Kindle to save some money, and often then when it's gone on sale.
My face is tired.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:57 am

Oh man, this game!

Massive grin!

The shooting could be a bit tighter and have better hit feedback but the rest is just so good! :mrgreen:
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

sohei

Postby sohei » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:44 am

The Panzerhund section is just sublime. I've replayed it a bunch of times. I wish there was more of that.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Wow, 16 squid (with a discount ) on greenmangaming. Can't complain. Bought!

I liked the other 2 so hopefully this won't disappoint. Ready for ultrawide gaming lushness

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:10 am

Finished!

What a game! Questionable level design but what a fucking game! :mrgreen:
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:38 pm

Actually, that's brings up my main gripe with the story. The swearing! Does it really have to be there? Motherfucking this and motherfucking that. Gosh darn it all.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:03 pm

I'm pretty sure they originally intended for Grace to be voiced by Samuel L Jackson.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:04 pm

Just bought this. Powered through the first couple of hours tonight. Very good so far. Plenty of story here.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:33 pm

Some tough subjects in this storywise eh. It's great from a story point of view really. The characters are great for the most part especially Grace who cracks me right up. There's a real sense of "life" in the U Boat just walking about. You could spend hours in there looking and listening to everything.

But the combat and the stabby shooty bang bang BOOM is what we play this for and I do find it lacking a bit. There's just something floaty light and ethereal about it, it lacks punch and meat somehow. The level design is good generally but when it places you with in a confined space it really stinks. The section F portions of the game are really discomforting to play for example but then i really enjoyed other levels.

Also i wish I could turn off my default stealth mode of play. The game is sort of allowing you play that way and it actively encourages it with the perks for such. When my stealth does go tits up and it all kicks off it's a blast. However it's very easy to kill off a heavy grab his heavy weapon and nuke every fucker with it. So I Try to avoid that unless I'm faced with something very serious.

I'm not sure how far in am. Not to be spoilery but I've just left BJs childhood home via unconventional means.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:53 pm

I think you're around half way through, the game starts to go a bit mad from that point on.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action