FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Shoot the shit.
Animalmother

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby Animalmother » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:10 pm

No, some of us are still here.

I've played this about 12 hours now and while I am very much enjoying it and will play to completion it's a bit dull if I'm honest. A Far Cry to far maybe (I'm 100% certain I'm not the first person to use that silly pun :) )

Solitaire

Postby Solitaire » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:37 pm

So, was FC2 the one with the gorgeous island setting that was super cool to play until ALIENS?!? Or am I going senile? (I do have the disks in storage, might have to reinstall now that I have a PC that can actually handle it [maybe].)

My signature is like a time capsule from the Wild West of the internet :o

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:59 pm

That was the first one Soli.

2 was the African themed one.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Aliens no that was Crysis. Farcry had the Trigens!
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Pew-Pew

Postby Pew-Pew » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:08 am

Crysis was similar to the first game in that it introduced the new enemies part way through. However, Far Cry still had amazing levels after the trigens were introduced, unlike Crysis which rapidly went downhill.
Prey wrote: plus i rally want to jukmp on my wife but she ssleep.

i might ha ve to giver her a moo o rtwo

-_-

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:09 am

Everybody says that but I loved Crysis all the way! Grabbing aliens by the throat in strength mode never got old.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:51 am

Going to have to agree with Evol on this one, I much preferred the Crysis with aliens parts to the Far Cry with Trigen parts...
My face is tired.

Pew-Pew

Postby Pew-Pew » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:19 am

No dissenting opinions will be tolerated :x
Prey wrote: plus i rally want to jukmp on my wife but she ssleep.

i might ha ve to giver her a moo o rtwo

-_-

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:41 am

Kinda agree with both sides here. Much preferred the Crysis aliens to the Trigen, but Crysis from the VTOL level on was vastly less enjoyable than the latter stages of Far Cry for me.

So I suppose rather than agree with both sides of the argument you could say I disagree just as much. :D

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:26 pm

I loved both of the first games the most out of the series.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Eny

Postby Eny » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Far Cry post Trigens was brilliant, especially if you saved all your shotgun cartridges just for them. Crysis too, had sublime gunplay, but mostly when against the Koreans rather than the aliens....
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:55 am

I've always been of the well I liked Trigens camp and my reasons I've no doubt repeated like a stuck record over the years, who'd have thunk it. After spending most of the game taking down flanking mercs and raging all out fat boys the introduction of Trigens forced you to completely rewrite your tactics due to the way they could simply pounce right at you from a distance (even from directly below) meaning using the shotgun became absolute paramount and changed the game from a slower manageable open area action shooter to a far more tight linear horror based one as you would tend to use your vision modes far more during this point, you would also be far less hasty to move around and the devs use of sound changed setting up jump points as you progressed further. You would come across Half-Life type encounters already happening as mercs were attempting and failing to take them on further ahead.

Sure the AI on them wasn't great but there's still no mistaking the fact that when they suddenly lunged at you you would shit bricks firing off shots like a crazy person as by that point you'd become so used to medium to long enemy engagements having something suddenly right in your face took a bit of adjusting to if you hoped to survive.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Just to catch up.
IMO, Crysis 1 was good up to the Aliens. Far Cry 1 was good up to the Trigens. Both early Crytech games so it makes sense that they would make the same mistake twice. I think both games were essentially tech demos for their game engine anyway, so I suppose they can be forgiven at this point.

Surprisingly, I'm enjoying FC5 more than I thought I would. I love the 'open as you explore' nature of the world. It's a nice change from the towers. And I think the way they pull you out of the open world to do story missions was done well. I think it's a semi-realistic way of keeping you focused on the story. I think I'm about 12 hours in and working on the second of three regions. There are far too many encounters on the road but you can take alternate paths, which then lead you to discover different things. Two thumbs up for me so far. I'm a Far Cry fan boy, so not surprising after all.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:19 pm

Bull they were tech demos! They were among the best single player shooters of their time. The mp wasn’t quite there but still fun.

Anyone remember the Farcry jeep excursions we went on through the map? Literally “through” the map. :lol:
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Tank

Postby Tank » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:20 pm

I decided to give this a go over the weekend and so far my experience has been about a 50/50 mix of frustration and joy.

When it works it really does work and it can feel satisfying to turn the tide on the Seed family but again when it starts to go fucking mental due to poor design it really snaps you out of the experience. I have given up on road vehicles entirely at the moment because I find myself constantly drawn into a fight I don't want. This wouldn't be so bad but I discovered yesterday if you ignore them they still give chase. After a minute or so I have 3 trucks giving chase and then a road block appeared up ahead (another "feature" I am assuming to make sure you engage in what Ubisoft believe is a solid gameplay addition). I bailed from the truck only to discover that a helicopter showed up too. It went from Dukes of Hazzard to ending of The Devils Rejects quicker than you can say "European EA".

Whats worse was when the game reloaded it put me CLOSER to my objective and the road block has now dissapeared. How does that work? I don't want your fucking help in succeeding in the game! What I want is for you not to code a game that employs such cheap shots in the name of "open world game play". Its not realistic its a coding cluster fuck that attempts to make an open world look more busy but instead fill it with NPCs that act like spastics in a magnet factory.

Also the game is a pretentious as all fuck. It really thinks its delving into something risque and pseduo-political but it just fails to actually fall on one side of the argument. It doesn't have to be a mirror to modern politics but when you clearly are drawing inspiration from fairly interesting and contempary themes it feels like a waste too not actually have something to say, or at least have characters with motivations that stretch beyond "They took my house" and "I love my truck".

It feels like the game and all its marketing (including an Amazon Prime feature film - And they wonder why games cost so much?) has walked up to the gaming community and shouted "OI!" and the community has responded with "WHAT?" and the game has just said "nothing..." and slinked away.

Take a good look at the villian above. Thats Joseph Seed. A mixture of Jared Leto and Matthew McConaughey and the most annoying man bun sporting hipster you could imagine. He is very indicative of what Far Cry 5 is. From the outset it could be interesting. This person despite looking like the worst kind of sterotype a mind could come up with there is a part of you that thinks maybe, just maybe he could have something interesting to say and a part of you wants to see it play out.

Then he starts to talk and you realise you should have gone with your instincts and left the party before he opened his mouth.

The worst thing is, all cyncism aside is that somewhere in this mess there is a good game screaming to be played and enjoyed but its really obvious flaws (from nearly 4 games ago now) are still here and instead of simply annoying me as they used to they just exhaust me now. I want to persist and at least get my moneys worth but ultimately I suspect my patience will break long before that.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action