FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Shoot the shit.
User avatar
Snowy
Metal as Fuck
 
Posts: 10286
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Ballhang

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby Snowy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:14 am

Sly Boots wrote:
katarn wrote:
JasonHimm wrote:I'll chime in because I'm that other guy that liked FC2 the best.

Another one joins the FC2 collective.

By my reckoning, we seem to now be the majority here. 8)


Prey's World Forum: the Official Far Cry 2 fan site


BAN THIS SICK FILTH!
Image
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

User avatar
Prey
Admin
 
Posts: 9537
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:16 pm

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby Prey » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:29 am

Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!


:O

User avatar
Tank
 
Posts: 4460
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:01 pm

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby Tank » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:38 am

Prey wrote:


I know its pretty much universally felt that we, as gamers, deserve better games. But I'm not entirely sure we do you know...
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

User avatar
Snowy
Metal as Fuck
 
Posts: 10286
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Ballhang

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby Snowy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:14 am

Also that is a complete misrepresentation. Not once have I seen a car go mental because a body is in it, roadkill fired into trees etc. Occasionally the game's various denizens do run into one another, and the results can be anything from useful to funny, but it is not like you are in some madcap Dicks Vs Nature special constantly.
Image
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

User avatar
Raid
Duke of Preys-World
 
Posts: 25130
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:48 pm
Location: Ding!

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby Raid » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:40 am

The cynic in me thinks these bugs are intentional to ensure the game gets a lot of coverage on places like Reddit. Have a look at a sub like r/gamephysics and it's currently about 50% Far Cry 5. Hilarious bugs have always garnered a lot of attention.

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 13202
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:58 am

Snowy wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:
katarn wrote:
JasonHimm wrote:I'll chime in because I'm that other guy that liked FC2 the best.

Another one joins the FC2 collective.

By my reckoning, we seem to now be the majority here. 8)


Prey's World Forum: the Official Far Cry 2 fan site


BAN THIS SICK FILTH!


;)
My face is tired.

User avatar
Eny
 
Posts: 14607
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:49 pm
Location: Liminality

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby Eny » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:04 pm

Just so you know,

I TOO LOVED FAR CRY THE SECOND!
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln


˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

User avatar
Medicine Man
 
Posts: 10320
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:21 pm
Location: Under the stairs

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:39 pm

In case I've never made it clear before, I am also a lover of Far Cry the second and would even go so far as to have Clint Hocking's babies in my ripe man-womb. :D

Reinstalled FC2 today as well. There will be so many uncontrollable bush fires and grenades rolling down hills by tea time tonight. It's going to be fabulous!

User avatar
Rusty
 
Posts: 1629
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:36 pm
Location: Plymouth,Devon

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby Rusty » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Reinstalling FC2 now too. Also adding in a mod to tone down the outposts...
Image

User avatar
Rossell
 
Posts: 7520
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:21 pm
Location: Kepler-22b

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby Rossell » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:49 pm

Fc2 fan here also
Image

User avatar
Rusty
 
Posts: 1629
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:36 pm
Location: Plymouth,Devon

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby Rusty » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Well, buggered if I can get it to play though... managed to get as far as the option screen then no further. Oh well.
Image

User avatar
Tank
 
Posts: 4460
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:01 pm

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby Tank » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:06 pm

I hated it.

I hated it because it was a gnats cock away from being something special and instead it stumbled through its own premise with really glaring flaws that only get worse when you try to work with them. Oddly enough my least favourite flaw was the fact that this area is being torn apart by civil war from two factions who apparently cannot stand each other yet there "home bases" share the same town center. Also "Kill everyone you see so they don't know who you work with...". What? Fuck off! Do you think you're the Galactic Empire or something?

I wouldn't have hated it had the game just been dull or by the numbers, but instead they took a really unique setting with the possibility of story based around blood diamond conflicts, a country torn in 2 by civil war, human trafficking and arms dealing from foreign nations to FUND said civil war and just bolted on broken mechanics that felt like they had the best intentions but ultimately just destroyed what little promise was there.

If you enjoyed it and hold it in high regard I sincerely envy you. I wish I could hold it so high too. But instead I hate it.

I hate Far Cry 2.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

User avatar
Jez
 
Posts: 11875
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:35 am
Location: worcestershire

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby Jez » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Tank wrote:I hated it.

I hated it because it was a gnats cock away from being something special and instead it stumbled through its own premise with really glaring flaws that only get worse when you try to work with them. Oddly enough my least favourite flaw was the fact that this area is being torn apart by civil war from two factions who apparently cannot stand each other yet there "home bases" share the same town center. Also "Kill everyone you see so they don't know who you work with...". What? Fuck off! Do you think you're the Galactic Empire or something?

I wouldn't have hated it had the game just been dull or by the numbers, but instead they took a really unique setting with the possibility of story based around blood diamond conflicts, a country torn in 2 by civil war, human trafficking and arms dealing from foreign nations to FUND said civil war and just bolted on broken mechanics that felt like they had the best intentions but ultimately just destroyed what little promise was there.

If you enjoyed it and hold it in high regard I sincerely envy you. I wish I could hold it so high too. But instead I hate it.

I hate Far Cry 2.


Absolutely hammer and nailed my feelings on it also. Thought that it was a technically great game just utterly let down in almost every other way. They seemed to completely gloss over any story elements in a game that was probably screaming out for a decent story behind it to complement the thing.

I enjoyed the world they built but it was all veneer. Much like a lot that ubi do.

User avatar
Prey
Admin
 
Posts: 9537
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:16 pm

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby Prey » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:18 am

You guys seem to be forgetting that FC2 was a game that was delivering something extremely new for the fps genre at the time when it came to the games sheer size and scope a game carried across not just one but two then extremely huge open world map areas. Of course there were flaws, ten years later and open world games are pretty much now synonymous with having large worlds that can be seriously flawed mental bugs and all as we have seen in this very thread. If anything FC2 had minor bugs for a game of its size especially considering it was also running on hardware such as the PS3 and Xbox 360 with all that additional physic based physical rendering coupled with vast amount of explorable terrain, wildlife, active npc's, then cutting edge weather systems etc all again of which was completely new back then. Love it or hate it you can't deny that on a purely technical level it was a true benchmark for the genre and served to help craft much of that open world design that we see before us today. As for the story behind the Jackal and sure it wasn't anything to write home about exactly but it was more than serviceable and has always been that kind of Heart of Darkness idea that birthed it...

I already wrote about Far Cry 2 in this post pretty thoroughly, so I won’t dwell on it overmuch. The short version is that it, like Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now before it, is well done, but empty. Although, I suppose it does sort of do what I criticized Apocalypse for not doing, in that there is some vague hint of character development in the sense that the player’s character is being sent to eliminate the Jackal in the beginning and winds up siding with him at the end.


Source: RuinedChapel

It was still a great moment once you finally learned that the very person you had mercilessly tracked down and pretty much loathed the entire game wasn't who you perceived him to be throughout.

I'm not here to just defend the game on what I feel are its merits though as I have always remained vocal on how poor NPC behaviour could be at the best of times mostly highlighting how buggy they could often be while being unnervingly realistic at others but that was mostly down to the clever scripting involved. Then again their outright aggressiveness was often what made the game what it was and we will each always recall the very first time a jeep full of enemies revved up its engine and came at us like a bloody freight train scaring the life out of us in the process. I'd like to know more about these 'broken mechanics' you say plagued the game though Tank bud.

All I'm saying is that love it or hate it there is a reason the game is still widely discussed and dissected both on here and on other forums a whole decade after we first booted it up and were met with that african set of drums, no it isn't just because of me either. :P

Once again can I apologise to those currently playing FC5 and wish that discussed more who are no doubt sick of all the FC2 talk once again. I know it happens pretty much every time a new version comes out. I will be actively making a new thread instead.

edit: First patch released...

Far Cry 5 Title Update 4 Release Notes

Stability & Performance

Fixed low occurrence crashes and walkthrough breaks
Additional quality bug fixes
Fixed low occurrence save corruption

Companion, Enemy, & Animal AI

-Fixed low repro AI issues

Design & Mission Progression

Fixed issues preventing silver bar purchase
Fixed minor bugs

Gameplay & UI

Fixed minor bugs

COOP and Online

Improved COOP connectivity
Fixed low occurrence COOP specific walkthrough breaks
Fixed voice communication issue where players could be permanently muted
Hurk was blowing up the client player when in a helicopter, fixed that.

Far Cry Arcade

Improved map download efficiency
Fixed various Arcade gameplay issues
Fixed issue where map textures would be extremely low
Improved PVP matchmaking
Fixed lobby loadout selection and map selection issues

Map Editor

Fixed issue with Arcade Editor crashes

PC Patch Only:

Fixed issues that were causing incorrect spawn if the game was minimized during loading
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!


:O

User avatar
Subway Diet
 
Posts: 12980
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:29 am
Location: Crush. Kill. Destroy. Swag.

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:31 am

The Far Cry 2 people are gone? Is it safe to come out now?
End of an Era

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests