FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Shoot the shit.
can't think of one

Re: FarCry 5. Go Away Mini Map!

Postby can't think of one » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:52 am

Here are my random thoughts. I Haven't completed the game yet but I can't be far off:

Good Stuff

Some of the side missions are great fun and they are not the same repetitive crap featured in the previous games (Look for Marvel guy for a good laugh)

I really like the AI companions. Sure at times they can be useless and do stupid things, for example, the guy with the plane I gave him a target and I wasn't watching him but I hear an explosion and suddenly he wasn't available for 15 minutes :lol: Other times they can be useful and I like the random conversations

The game is a decent length with a shit load of side missions and outposts

Bad Stuff

Not enough weapons! Sure there's a lot of them but most of them are recycled from 3 and 4.

Boss battles are boring and shite

No Desert Eagle! Apart from Primal, I think the desert eagle has featured in all of them!

As the others have mentioned getting dragged into the story is the worst part of the game and the fact that I have been captured and then escape/released 5-6 times is just fucking stupid

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:44 pm

Finished it yesterday, still not exactly sure what I think of it to be honest. It was certainly fun and I pumped a good 30-40 hours into it so it must have been doing something right.

As mentioned the lack of weapon choice is a bit of a let down. There was no need for 8 different melee weapons and then 10 variations of the 1911 pistol (all the exact same..). Also a ridiculous amount of vehicles that most people will never bother with. Wasted effort there.

Far Cry just can't seem to do boss fights, they always end up being underwhelming. While no Vaas or Pagan, the bad guys in this were decent enough.

The ending..
Spoiler: show
I assume that they just killed off this FC universe then and the next is either going to be completely new or Far Cry Fall Out

On the whole I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the dlc. But it's possibly the weakest entry out of resent games.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed May 02, 2018 9:59 am

Bought this at the weekend and I've put a few hours in. I'm enjoying it in that it's another Far Cry game and I like the formula from 3 and 4, and it's just fun. It's not especially adventurous in what it does, but I went in expecting that so I can't complain about that. The double-edged sword with this one is that there's WAY too much happening at once on any given road. I parked up to look in a roadside building last night and then spent 30 mins shooting a never-ending chain of enemies who kept appearing. At one point I had several enemies shooting at me from behind a pile of flaming pickup trucks while 100m ahead of me there was a sniper taking shots, who was then taken out by two wolves, a cougar and a bear at the same time, who got into a scrap themselves and were ultimately taken out by another pickup truck who drove into them at high speed. It was really frustrating and a tonne of fun in equal measures. At the very least, it's put me off ever visiting rural Montana.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed May 02, 2018 10:08 am

Wrathbone wrote: At the very least, it's put me off ever visiting rural Montana.

:lol:

I think that's one of the main things that will put me off ever getting this game (alongside getting yanked out of free-play and being forced to follow the main story). Have sunk about a dozen hours now into FC4 and while I'm enjoying it for the most part, without question the shittest part is the constant assault by wildlife/roving patrols. The nadir was spending ages finding a good sniping spot for a particular base, halfway up a mountain overlooking the entire site, carefully lining up my shot having spent a while observing their patrol routes etc to ensure I could pick them off before being discovered... upon which I was promptly killed and eaten by a tiger.

It feels like I'm enjoying it despite the game rather than because of it. And by the sound of it, FC5 has somehow managed to take it a step even further, so will be a hard pass from me I think. Sadly.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed May 02, 2018 10:15 am

It's definitely pushed that side of the game to its silliest extremes.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu May 03, 2018 7:44 am

Finally sat down and finished the game.

There's a lot to like about it, but I can't help but feel the writing is bringing down my overall impression.
I've read arguments both for and against what the game was trying to do. There's some pretty compelling theories on the story but, ultimately, good intentions don't always excuse poor execution. For me, it was a swing and a miss which really did not earn it's big ending revelation.

Still, from a purely surface point of view, the mechanics and setting were great. I'd certainly welcome a "tour" mode like they did with Assassin's Creed!

The arcade mode is still a laugh for just playing about with pure gameplay mechanics, and I'm certainly looking forward to the DLC which I imagine will fit the kind of "wacky" mood that seemed so at odds with the tone of the main game.
End of an Era

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu May 03, 2018 4:05 pm

What was your take on the end of the game? In spoilers obviously...

I only tried the MP once, it switched hosts 2 minutes in then kicked everyone out. I haven't bothered with it since :/

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri May 04, 2018 6:02 pm

Far Cry competitive multiplayer has always been a bit of a bust. I think the only one I had much fun with was in the first game, and that's just because if felt like a bog-standard deathmatch mode, but in a jungle!

As for the endings, I'm still try to exactly articulate my feelings. So, in the absence of my own thoughts, how about a video?

(Spoilers, for sure!)
I rather enjoy the video essays this guy does, so I'd say it's worth a watch... assuming you've got two and a half hours to spare. :-k

For the Far Cry 5 story discussion, jump to: https://youtu.be/AwgEyjxcfoY?t=2h12m50s
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat May 05, 2018 8:12 am

Animalmother wrote:What was your take on the end of the game? In spoilers obviously...

I only tried the MP once, it switched hosts 2 minutes in then kicked everyone out. I haven't bothered with it since :/

In a word, ballhang.

I took the 'resist' option outside the church, not sure what the other options gives in terms of endings. The whole final fight was bollocks as all the 'boss' fights were. Then for some reason a nuke goes off and oh, the psycho twat is somehow meant to be a prescient harbinger and not a psycho twat at all.

Oh please, fuck a goat Ubisoft...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Sat May 05, 2018 4:10 pm

Snowy wrote:In a word, ballhang.

Agreed.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sat May 05, 2018 7:55 pm

Was a bit alright

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun May 06, 2018 5:08 am

I thought the spectacle of it all was a laugh, but the message just didn't work. Hell, the entire story felt like it was barking up the wrong tree.

Like others have said, the game suffers for trying so hard not to have a message. Feels like it at some point had something to say, but instead masked it all with vagaries and trying to promote itself as "dumb fun!"
So, in the end, the best it can muster in the end is some toothless edgy nihilism and a half-baked "You're the real asshole for even playing the game" finger wagging. What are you even meant to take away from that?
End of an Era

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sun May 06, 2018 12:13 pm

I finished it a month ago and I'm still annoyed.

Where did the nukes come from? If they belong to the cult I'm pretty sure the US would have sent more than a handful of cops to get them back. If they were from Russia why did they bomb a valley in Montana? Speaking of Russia, why were there constant WW3 references on the radio when the radios were cut off? Either the messages are from the cult or the radio wasn't cut off at all meaning you could have just called for help five minutes into the game and let the army fix everything.

More importantly, is Joseph Seed actually wolverine? He survives a helicopter crash completely unharmed, then survives being shot in the face with an AK47 a dozen times completely unharmed, then survives a nuclear blast completely unharmed, then survives a car crash during a raging forest fire while everyone should be melting from radiation poisoning again completely unharmed, before casually strolling into a bunker owned by a doomsday prepper who was armed and prepared for exactly this moment and kills him easily while carrying a person with one hand. Fuck that stupid game.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun May 13, 2018 8:05 am

Edwin wrote:I finished it a month ago and I'm still annoyed.

Where did the nukes come from? If they belong to the cult I'm pretty sure the US would have sent more than a handful of cops to get them back. If they were from Russia why did they bomb a valley in Montana? Speaking of Russia, why were there constant WW3 references on the radio when the radios were cut off? Either the messages are from the cult or the radio wasn't cut off at all meaning you could have just called for help five minutes into the game and let the army fix everything.

More importantly, is Joseph Seed actually wolverine? He survives a helicopter crash completely unharmed, then survives being shot in the face with an AK47 a dozen times completely unharmed, then survives a nuclear blast completely unharmed, then survives a car crash during a raging forest fire while everyone should be melting from radiation poisoning again completely unharmed, before casually strolling into a bunker owned by a doomsday prepper who was armed and prepared for exactly this moment and kills him easily while carrying a person with one hand. Fuck that stupid game.

This.

Ubisoft just excels at this kind of crap, so much so that it must be deliberate. So many titles that have the capacity to be absolutely magical slices of gaming, but they feel obliged to fuck them up.

Ghost Recon Wildlands, a game I adore, but then they release DLC where you are expected to hoon around in monster trucks doing extreeeeeme dudebro bollocks that fits a tactical combat game about as well as I fit into a hipster cereal cafe. All they needed was to bolt on some extra land to the map and add in more missions, weapons etc and bingo, but no. Then, insult to injury, they take one of the best co-op experiences in years and focus their development efforts on...fucking PvP deathmatch wank. Gah!

Assassins Creed. Right, so we all just want to kill people in historic settings right? Nooooo, you must have your enjoyment curtailed every now and again by intrusive Animus-wank and a conspiracy that was jaded from the outset, coupled with that fuck-awful English prick and his surly interjections through a swathe of the titles. Gah!

The Division. Again, a title that looks fucking amazing at the outset - a shattered, post terrorist massacre New York at Xmas-time, a snowy apocalypse (as opposed to the far more scary Snowy apocalypse ;)), tactical cover based co-op combat. Except no, they have to make it a faux-MMO, with bullet-sponge enemies. Gah!

Far Cry 3/4/5. Good, solid shooters, lovely open worlds. And there you are, the protagonist, a Edwin surrounded by cunts that you are supposed to care about. Oh, and every single fucking instance has god-awful 'on drugs' missions. Not "Here, take the tools you have worked for and take down the mission in an open-world way however you like" but "Here, take everything you have been enjoying and lose it until you complete this shitty on-rails section cos that's fun right?" Gah!

Watch Dogs (fuck your underscore too). "So all we need to do with the second is provide a new playground and some new toys, and replace the personality vacuum that was the protagonist, right? OK cool, this time then the player can be a tech hipster surrounded by really really reeeeally fucking irritating tech hipster mates - that will work, right?" Gah!

So - all the games above I own, and they are in the most part fun. With a little more effort on making them pure fun though, and less laziness, slavish adherence to rinse and repeat formulae, they could all be so much more. To repeat my comment from earlier, Ubisoft are like Michelin-starred chefs creating a lavish and beautiful dish for your dining pleasure, then curling out a coiled noodle of shite onto the dish at the last before whipping the cloche back and setting it before you. What do you mean, you don't like shite?!?

Oh, and Far Cry 2. Just Gah!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun May 13, 2018 8:55 am

I was with you right up to the last line -_-
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action