Darksiders III (Xbox One/PS4/PC)

Shoot the shit.
Rossell

Re: DARKSIDERS 3!! (Xbox One/PS4/PC)

Postby Rossell » Tue May 02, 2017 4:39 pm

She was female from the first game on. She uses the whip, Strife uses guns.

Prey
Admin

Re: Darksiders III (Xbox One/PS4/PC)

Postby Prey » Tue May 02, 2017 4:46 pm

I personally think as much as the devs would have favoured what it is everyone else was hoping for with a third outing I can't help but feel that the very reason they have gone down this road is to ensure that this one game in the series is a certified financial success. We have to remember that Darksiders II didn't sell anywhere close to THQ's expectations only selling something like 240k in the US meaning that is a very specific reason and one of many that the publisher THQ finally went under. It had to top 2 Million sales to just break even.

Female characters are all the rage right now and as much as we love cool looking male brick shit houses that snarl and grunt this is ultimately about securing the continued safety of the franchise and not just catering to long term fans requirements. They make the games they get the last word.

The fact we've had not one but two remakes of both the original and the sequel shows us there is a market for the game - they just need to make MONEY.

And just like that the game appears on Steam. THQ Nordic sure don't fuck about!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/60628 ... iders_III/

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue May 02, 2017 5:16 pm

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue May 02, 2017 5:25 pm

Yeah the four horsemen in this are War, Death, Fury and Strife, not Famine and Pestilence.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue May 02, 2017 7:21 pm

2018 is too far away :) I hope they lean more towards the feel of the first game rather than the second. Personally I disliked the loot system in the second dunno really why at this point it's been a awhile since I played it.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue May 02, 2017 7:26 pm

It was a totally unnecessary mechanic that's why. Loot dropped at a ridiculous rate but more often than not it would be junk that you just had to go through your inventory to delete. Combined with slow and cumbersome inventory management it just sapped a lot of the energy out of the game.

In a game that's so heavily action based you should not have been spending that much time looking at menus. They tried to shoehorn in RPG mechanics and failed.

Apparently with the re-release they did fixed it so an extent though by making drops less frequent and the gear better. Not tried it yet though.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue May 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Yeah that could be it. I vaguely remember having to melt the loot down and it awarded you progress on a sliding bar towards better stuff or something. Can't really remember.

The first was excellent though brilliant pacing interesting satisfying combat and a great story.

There was a sort of mmo feel to the second that I couldn't shake off and disliked the game a little for.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 03, 2017 7:59 am

I don't think they failed with the loot mechanic. Part of the reason I enjoyed the game was because of the chance of finding a great new weapon. They also had the neat mechanic where you could feed lesser weapons to more powerful ones.

I would argue without the loot mechanic it would have just been a darker looking and larger version of the original game. For me the loot mechanic made the game interesting to play.

I'm glad they are not trying to make the four player co-op game people were calling for after Darksiders 2, to try to do that on what is obviously going to be a small budget would have been a disaster. Much more sensible to go for something a bit more manageable. However I do think they are going to have to change things up a bit. Copying the old Zelda template again will not be enough for me, especially considering how Zelda itself has moved on massively this year.

IGN are going to have more details about the game later this week.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed May 03, 2017 10:55 am

I'm with Nat on this one. I found the loot system to be one of DS2's main strengths, not a weakness at all. Although I can see why some would see it as entering MMO based territory the looting and upgrading of specific items into very powerful weapons via the use of unnecessary loot was a great idea I thought. In fact I feel it was something the original game as great as it is was lacking in. If you had auto collect turned on you would know that once you completed any battle you could end up with a far greater weapon or gear in your inventory over what you have by pure chance but it was also to reward you for kicking ass. If not you just sacrificed what you had and did it yourself. I loved that aspect.

Then we had the various full set of armours you would be given that often looked so damn good as a complete set I would end up playing in them even if I sported better gear in my inventory. I very often only changed them when I had to take on Bosses.

As for the Zelda comment Nat made this game is the first to enter into a fully open ended world so it's already made one significant step forward over both previous titles in the series. It's how that world is managed that will make it or break it.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed May 03, 2017 12:41 pm

Open world a step forward?...hmmmmm

Could certainlh be a welcome step if it's well disguised like witcher 3. On the other hand if it's not I think that would be a shame for the series which has some great story driven gameplay.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri May 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Similar to the way Zelda expanded on its own core concepts in Breath of the Wild, if a puzzle exists in Darksiders 3, it should make sense in an environment rather than being a trap some unseen character inexplicably laid out for the player for no logical reason. Don’t expect any gated combat, and enemies (some of which existed in previous games, some of which are brand new) should feel a lot more like they belong in the world natively, rather than just popping up inconveniently to fight you. Yes, there’ll still be collectibles creatively scattered throughout the world, but no out-of-place chests, and, ultimately, every inch of the world should feel more contextualized if all goes according to Gunfire’s plan.

Based on the tiny chunk that I played, it made me want to explore everything so much more than I would have otherwise, because you can always see the next thing, just out of reach.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/05/04/d ... -ign-first

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri May 05, 2017 5:12 pm

Were people really complaining that the art style has changed? It looks exactly the same as the previous two games.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Fri May 05, 2017 6:12 pm

Pre-Alpha footage so it is pretty rough here and there, but I'm definitely interested.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri May 05, 2017 10:39 pm

I'm hoping this will be the first of a new wave of open word games that have learnt lessons from the latest Zelda.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat May 06, 2017 7:22 am

I have to say it's a good thing that is pre-alpha footage because as much as it pains me to say it it looks a little uninspired in certain areas. The first thing you notice is just how underpowered Fury's whip actually is often missing its target completely or not getting a reaction from enemies when it does make actual contact. Hopefully they will work on making its hit detection better as they go along, making it more visually prominent wouldn't hurt matters either. This is going to be the problem going from War and Death's Sword and Scythes full contact fighting styles to something that is a much more ranged type fighting style more in keeping with The Crossblade or Mercy. They could have really done with showing some alternate strikes or even the odd finishing move which are such a staple of the series. The combat looked a bit bland and generic sadly and it would have really helped to show Fury using something other than her whip constantly because that's all the video really consisted of - kertush kertush kertush kertush.....kertush kertush kertush kertush. I guess I should kerb much of my criticism though as the game doesn't even have a HUD yet never mind the inclusion of power ups etc etc etc.

The second thing is those ducts. To say that the game world is going to be bigger and then filling it with cramped air ducts slowing down progression seems a little counter intuitive to me personally. if anything that makes me the world feel smaller and much more in line with the Arkham games and never something I would ever dream would show up in a Darksiders based game completely breaking up the flow of constant movement while adventuring the series has always thrived upon. No matter what I'm doing in Darksiders everything is always quick and snappy even if it involves a puzzle, ducts are slow and unnecessary.

Technically the game seems very sound though which is great to see at such an early development stage. I really loved Fury's manoeuvrability and the animations are gorgeous and will make a big change from having to hit the dash button constantly to avoid being hit. Level design is everything we have come to expect which may or may not be a good thing as there were points in that particular video which could have been ripped directly out of the original game - why they always include the exact same green lit subway tunnels with the exact same tiled walls I will never know. We had those in both DS1 and DS2. Obviously there's a much larger world on offer beyond and it would have been nice to see an environment that showcased some variety a little more to the section they chose to show.

My favourite bit though had to be that fiery hair. The way it reacts to movement and falls flat when the character stands still...um.

All in all though I perhaps have to wind in my expectations due to the fact the game is being made by a much smaller team than either DS1 or DS2 and with a smaller budget than both along with it. The heart of a Darksiders game is thankfully alive and well and we still no doubt have well over a year before the game even comes close to seeing an actual release so to see it this far along so early on gives it a very good chance of delivering everything we have come to expect from the IP still.

Oh and to all those who keep commenting on other sites that this footage is more Dark Souls than Darksiders, the fuck are you guys smoking? :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action