Star Wars Battlefront 2 - Leaked

Shoot the shit.

Did you buy Battlefront 1 on any platform?

Yes.
No votes
No.
100%
This isn't Battlefront.
No votes

Total votes : 6

Jez

Re: Star Wars Battlefront 2 - Leaked

Postby Jez » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:59 pm

Split screen? Firmly in console territory that one for me at least. Definitely not something I have a tick box for :)

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:38 pm

So the main campaign has been penned by none other than Walt Williams the writer behind Spec Ops: The Line. Now if anything makes me want to buy it in a bottle that there is pretty much it. Screw the multiplayer!

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Damn, this could be something special then :shock:

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Yep..this could be decent indeed then.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:28 am

Sod it.
Unless the reviews come out calling it garbage, I'm ready to go in Day One. :D
End of an Era

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:09 pm

I liked SW battlefront. The graphics were amaing and the sound effects were spot on. The gameplay was a tad ropey but I only stopped playing as something else came out (can't remember what - something like Witcher 3)

Tank

Postby Tank » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:33 pm

So did anyone here get in on the closed alpha currently going on?

I did.

It's really good.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:01 pm

Yeah? Do tell!
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:19 am

Speak Tank.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:37 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... -win-fears

Knew it was too good to be true so far.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:36 pm

That sounds terrible.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:53 pm

It does. But positively it's a chance for us non-idiots to take down high paying players. A bit like when you defeat a cheater whose crap at cheating.

Tank

Postby Tank » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:11 am

Sorry for the delay in reply.

The long and the short of it (at this Alpha stage) is that its really very good.

First up I would say on a purely visual level it maybe one of the nicest looking games I have ever seen. Obviously being a huge Star Wars fan does help with that but it really is eye wateringly beautiful.

The combat feels much more akin to Battlefield. You know get placed in squads that act like buffs when you stay with them (you share capture/kill bonuses and sometimes if someone activates a power up you all share the buff). Its still not quite up there with BFs thing (dropping med packs/Ammo etc) but its a step up from the 2 person thing from the first one.

The layout of the different classes is a vast improvement too. The alpha seems fairly restricted but I would imagine you will get a big choice of guns and accessories for each class. The classes make more sense and make the whole thing feel much more like Battlefront 2 (the first Battlefront 2).

The points system in game is a nice touch and certainly beats the "token" system. As you fight you gain more points which you can use during the game. Much like the first Battlefront 2 after a while you will gain enough points to activate a special unit within your sides ranks. For example with the trade federation its a super battle droid, with the clones it was a jet pack trooper. This is a nice touch that has a nice effort+reward feel to it. This is also how you gain access to vehicles. I'm not entire surely if thats the best way to do that but touch wood it seemed to keep things nicely balanced.

The hero units are also unlocked via the points system. The hero units are imo the best they have ever been. Powerful but not utterly OP. I so far have only been able to play Han and Boba fett and they are both hugely satisfying. Particularly Mr Solo.

Also it feels worth mentioning that the setting (Theed city on Naboo) works REALLY well as a map and objective game setting. The TF have to keep two huge MTT tanks rolling down the main street so they can get into position and blow the doors off the main capital palace. The clones have to stop them by grabbing strategically placed iron blasters and shooting them so they can be damaged. These blasters take about 5 seconds to pick up and 5 seconds to shoot so a certain amount of strategy will be involved but it is does work really well.

Also I find the feel of the game is really REALLY Star Wars if that make sense? At the start of the rounds there is always something going on before things kick off. For example, if you are playing the Trade Federation in your starting area you will see clones being arrested and processed as more battle droids are unloaded from a MTT. Its not much but it does make it feel more akin to the films and shows we love.

I cant really comment on the loot boxes as they don't really have a huge role in the alpha. I got access to a few and really the ball is in EAs court on how these play out. Hopefully it wont be too bad but we will have to wait and see.

At this point though and I far too pleased with what I have seen to let it put me off the whole package. The idea of something like this going on to cover some of the most famous battles in Star Wars canon is something I really can't wait to see pan out.

Verdict so Far - It is much MUCH more like the original Battlefront 2 and looks poised to become something very special indeed. It obviously helps if you are a huge Star Wars fan like myself but I can see it going on to become something very big if it is handled correctly.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:54 am

Cheers for the comments tank. When's it due out anyway?

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:08 am

That's all I needed to hear.

Last gen Battlefront games completely outshines the newer release mainly because of its pure team based nature that always challenged you but also always made you feel as if you were doing your part, you were a vital part of any victory. New Battlefront made me feel completely inconsequential every single match as it was designed so poorly I'd never do well enough to feel as though I added anything to the fight in particular so if we lost I always felt significantly to blame my name always in the last few if not the very last. If I lost in Battlefront 2 I'd always know that I fought tooth and bloody nail to win and the win or lose ratio would come down to the very final moments of the game, always on the finest of knife edges. So much so my heart would be attempting to escape my chest cavity at the close of some games. Last gen yes. Truly epic tug of wars none the less. My name sat proudly near the top because I understood my role in the game, I was never left feeling like my entire efforts had been squandered fighting against it every inch of the way and it always delivered the goods over and over again.

It's clear to see in the videos and from Tank's excellent write up that DICE/EA really have at long last recaptured what made Battlefronts last gen games so utterly compelling to play and picked it up, polished it off and just ran with it in the new game. Every single person who was let down by the first new outing will now be breathing a sigh of relief that Battlefront is finally Battlefront once more and not some rushed out money grabbing fan service type game that was about as deep as a puddle.

Thanks Tank. You just cemented a purchase for EA from me bud.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action