PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

Shoot the shit.
Rusty

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

Postby Rusty » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:08 pm

Sorry for the caps but I think that's how it's advertised...
Anyone else played this? It's the most nerve racking/boring thing ever.

I spend most of the round scavanging for weapons and trying to avoid the encroaching forcefield.
Then I sit somewhere waiting for someone to show up so I can shoot them. I think I've fired about 4 shots in all the games I've played as I tend to be shot first :)

I really don't know where I stand on this game.

Most of the time it's just a suspenseful waiting game. The idea is sound though.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/578080/

Jez

Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

Postby Jez » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:33 pm

You haven't described it very flatteringly there :) might give it a miss.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:48 pm

I get the excitement about these Battle Royale style games. They're a great concept. But 99% of the time they're pretty poorly executed and just serve as being the next big fad for Twitch streamers before another comes along.

Apparently this is one of the best ones yet. Having seen footage of it I really don't see how it's much different from any of the other clones that have come along since the Arma mod that spawned this current trend. There's just not enough there to really make it exciting so in practice it just plays out as a very slow deathmatch.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:16 pm

I've watched a few gameplay videos and while it looks fun I doubt it would last for long. These games seem to attract a particular type of player base that make online gaming a fucking nightmare.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:28 am

Jez wrote:You haven't described it very flatteringly there :) might give it a miss.

Definitely not trying to drum up business, just curious if anyone else played it and gather your thoughts. You guys are the shizzle and I respect your opinions (sometimes).

My post sums it up, I want to love it but also can see every flaw. It makes me tense in a good way but rarely has a payoff.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:24 am

Animalmother wrote:I've watched a few gameplay videos and while it looks fun I doubt it would last for long. These games seem to attract a particular type of player base that make online gaming a fucking nightmare.

This.

I mean, I don't play adversarial games anyway these days - any of them - due to being turned off by the toxicity of the playerbase. I read RPS' early impressions of this the other day purely out of interest and have never had the glimmer of interest in a title snuffed out so fast:

Brendan from RPS wrote:As such, there isn’t much to explain. After a gathering screen, you are thrust onto a plane with 99 other players, where you’ll skydive out onto the 8km x 8km island below. Depending on what you’ve picked on the menu screen, you’re all either fighting solo or murdering it out in groups of two or four. Seeing where people drop and picking your own safe and uncrowded landing spot is the first major challenge. Actually, strike that. The first major challenge is making it through the airplane ride.

The trademark title of the game puts everything in capitals – PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS – as if the game itself is shouting at you, a fitting moniker for a game in which all players spend the first 30-60 seconds in the plane screaming at each other like a bus full of children on their way to a borstal. There’s bad singing, racial slurs, meaningless squealing. It is like some chemistry genius filtered and distilled all the toxicity from online gaming into a single aluminium cylinder. You can mute the whole place as soon as you appear, and I suggest that you do.

That was all I had to read. Not for me.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:30 am

I wonder if this would work if it was AI only? Cut out the annoyance factor. Although to be fair, I've not had that problem but maybe that's the difference between EU and US servers?

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:47 am

When I first seen this game I thought this was the updated and fixed H1Z1 (No no that isn't fixed and still buggy as hell) as it's practically the same game and mechanics in use. Also 3rd person view points in these games are the worse thing ever. Having that situational awareness all around and you for seeing things obviously you couldn't from angles or height #-o

But I do have a guilty pleasure of watching twitch moments of people reacting to bugs and obvious crap networking issues on youtube about them :P
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:46 am

I played my first two games in first person mode not realising I could third person it.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:08 pm

Aye, there is very little point in playing them that way. All you do is hinder yourself. Did read somewhere that there is a hardcore mode being made in development that makes the game first person view only and changes some other things.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri May 05, 2017 5:50 am

Been jumping into a game or two when I've got some free time. It's good stuff. It's very much one of those survival games on caffeine. I like how quick and easy it is to jump in to, for sure. And it's a different feel than a "drawn-out deathmatch".
You've got terrain consideration, moving within tree lines, staying in shadows. It's methodical, yet able to escalate in such a way a good tactical shooter can. Would be amazing if someone could mod a terrorist hunt style game mode into the engine. The core feels like a good balance between accessible and grognard Mil-Sim.

Hopefully it's got some legs to it and the devs keep adding more. :)

Haha. I'm way too cautious when playing it. My most efficient tactic so far is sitting behind doors. I'm sure a fair few people have shit themselves when they wander aimlessly out of a house only to be gunned down point blank.

I'll say one thing: Turned off voice chat before even starting my first game. People can just scream into the void for all I care. Can't hear a word and my soul feels infinitely better for it.
Last edited by Subway Diet on Fri May 05, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
End of an Era

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri May 05, 2017 6:14 am

I'm sure there are many valid tactics that mean patiently waiting for other people. I can't be bothered. I'm not looking for the win. Just the fun of scavanging and trying to at least get a kill before I die is reward enough.
Moving from location to location is also fun trying to pretend I know real world tactics like keeping off the skyline etc.

Still one of the (nicely) nerve wracking games I've played.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat May 06, 2017 9:11 am

Haha. Got into the top five in a match. Lots of fun sneaky situations. Like snooping about in a house when I hear a car approaching. It's one of the only building left in the circle, which means someone will no doubt come storming in.
So, I do what I do best. Hide in a closet. Sitting still, listening to someone stomp about, it's nerve wracking. Fortunately for me, the guy walked into the room, completely oblivious and stopping in front of my shotgun.

What then followed was me tracking another guy for a bit, staying out of sight until he took up a sniper position on top of a mound. He was too busy taking shots at others to notice me creep up behind him.
All fell to bits when I had to take a position on a ridge. Had two people shooting at me and I just couldn't find cover. Ah well. Better luck next time. :D

Need to try dropping into busy areas at some point. It's not going to end well, but that one time I landed on the school roof with a whole bunch of other people was quite something. A frantic scramble that became an instant firefight.
End of an Era

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat May 06, 2017 9:30 am

This is an early access thing right? They said when it releases proper? Might pick it up then.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sat May 06, 2017 7:27 pm

Not sure what would change between then and now. It's perfectly playable now.

Oh and I decided to try a drop when it was busy twice. First time was me being punched to death whilst I tried loading my shotgun.
The second time I punched someone to death whilst they were trying to do the same :)

Next

Return to FPS & Action