Mirage: Arcane Warfare

Shoot the shit.
DjchunKfunK

Mirage: Arcane Warfare

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:24 am

I was playing a bit of the beta for this last night. It is the next game from the guys behind Chivalry: Medieval Warfare with the main gameplay elements being similar so the game is melee combat focused. However the twist for this game is that each class has three skills they can use. Due to the combat system it has the same feel as Chivalry which is great as I think the melee combat in that was pretty good. The skills system is a nice addition and brings a lot more strategy to fights.

Map wise from the hour I played last night they appear to be fairly well designed. There are no choke-points so the game doesn't get bogged down, which is something that used to happen in Chivalry. You can always run round and flank the enemy and in general the maps appear to be more open than in Chivalry where you had a few that were just long corridors.

The only negative I found was that some of the movement feels a bit sluggish. You can double jump and sprint, but I couldn't really notice any difference to my speed when sprinting and the double jump is a bit too finicky. You can mantle up walls, so if you double jump next to one you only need to get near to the top and you will mantle up it, which is good for taking enemies by surprise. But overall the jump feels like it is lacking in precision, I often found myself failing to double jump without really knowing why.

Overall I had a fair amount of fun, as I get older and slower it's nice to play a multiplayer combat game that doesn't necessarily rely on twitch aiming and timing. I can still have fun with my slightly reduced reflexes. :)

If you purchase the game you get access to the beta. I also have a spare beta key if anyone is interested.

Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Return to FPS & Action