Destiny 2 - (PC, XONE, PS4) PC Open Beta August 29th

Shoot the shit.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Destiny 2 - (PC, XONE, PS4) PC Open Beta August 29th

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:41 pm

I'm still on the fence, so keep us updated :)
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Sly Boots wrote:I think I'm just done with linear shooters honestly.

Fair enough, but I will say that there are some truly brilliant moments in Wolf 2.

Multiplayer wise it is very much geared towards playing with friends rather than random people. I got a fair amount of enjoyment out of it, but then I played large parts of it with people I knew.

I think if you are not interested in the end-game content or the PvP then I'm not sure how much you will get out of it, especially playing it solo. The story stuff is fine, but nothing to write home about and over fairly quickly. Then it becomes all about the loot with you wanting to upgrade your Power level so that you can do the end-game stuff.

It is a loot shooter, but it doesn't in any way have the same pull for me as a Borderlands game.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:08 pm

Yeah, I think I'm considering it at least in part because I hope it will feel quite similar to something like a Borderlands/GW2 mashup, which would appeal to me a lot. But perhaps this game isn't that.

I might keep a semi-interested eye on what Bioware is doing with Anthem.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:57 pm

There is only so much loot you can get and there are also specific guns which are best for each slot, so really you are doing stuff to try and get specific drops. Completely different system to Borderlands.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:06 pm

In fairness, every random loot game can be min-maxed like that; each class in Borderlands 2 has a "best" build. I haven't played Destiny, but in BL there're enough options to enjoy yourself regardless of whether you're optimised or not.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Yeah that's true with the class builds, but with the weapons there is always the possibility of getting a new combination of stuff.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:45 pm

This is getting a limited-time free trial sometime today. Going to give that a whirl I think.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/1 ... ore-497787
My face is tired.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:58 pm

If they don't limit levels you can probably get through all the non-rain content in 1-2 days playing. Bargain?
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:50 pm

Downloading the free trial now...
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:37 pm

Yeah, I'm downloading it too. Nothing I've seen of the game has ever really grabbed me, but I *loved* the combat in Bungie's Halo games, so this might do it for me too. Worth a try for free anyway.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:47 pm

They limit you to level 7 eVol.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:46 pm

Downloaded it myself and my god that secondary campaign mission is so god damn dull so much so it's hard to believe it's even made by the same guys who brought us Halo in its prime and the AI is nigh on laughable and as my son keeps telling me if Destiny 1 was aimed at the hardcore crowd then Destiny 2 is aimed at the casual gamer through and through and I'm inclined to agree completely. I've never been so bored and lacking in challenge playing a shooter. There was one particular point in which I allowed one of the mini bosses to leave my sight for a moment and as I continued onward thinking he would flank after actually turning back around he had completely reset and disappeared. It's as if Bungie are so adamant on making the player strive forward constantly in their loudly orchestrated 'action bubble' that even enemies you forget to kill serve zero consequence. Who doesn't like finishing off every last enemy before finally moving on? Not Bungie obviously. And therein lays the primary problem with the game in that almost everything you do from the actually not that great combat to the basic minimal amount of exploration to the poor as shit enemy AI makes you feel as though you are being helped out constantly to the point of it feeling like you cheated and not that your skills were simply too high a match for the game to take on which in itself would bring about some amount of reward. I felt hand held at every step and hand holding is a casual gamers game, not mine.

Anyway I played enough to activate the multiplayer portion and then after I had a match in which I got just 4 kills I then let me son loose on all those level 20's and he ended up schooling them all at just level 2 with a 6.67 efficiency rating. The lad is a monster. :lol:

Sorry Bungie but your desperate attempt at a sale didn't win me over and if anything it simply cemented my stance on it not being a worthy purchase just because it looks pretty isn't enough because outside of said looks the game has absolutely no soul to speak of.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:59 pm

It gets a big ol' "Meh" from me. The gameplay loop isn't terrible if you make aggressive use of the double jump and fairly satisfying melee, but the weapons you get at the start don't have any oomph to them, and the enemies aren't very interesting. I got up to what I believe is the social area, and decided I'd seen enough. Also, despite this looking pretty impressive when they showed it off at E3, I found it to be pretty under-detailed. Nice sky boxes, which seems to be a Bungie thing, but level geometry and texture detail was really lacking, and levels were filled with invisible walls. Given the fairly epic look they've gone for, it was all far too linear.

And I'm really starting to dislike the unvoiced protagonist trope, particularly when it feels like the character *should* be speaking. It just feels lazy, and makes me feel like just another pointless somebody. It's especially galling here because the opening cutscene has your Ghost talking to you as if you usually talk back, but he does all the talking for you. Doom got it right; Doomguy communicated by wrecking everything he came across, he didn't need to speak because his motivation was pretty clear.

In fact I think it's Doom that's really spoiled other sci-fi FPS titles for me. Everything in Doom felt so tightly tuned for maximum satisfaction, from player movement speed to sounds to enemy types to weapons to ripping off a demon's arm and beating them to death with it. Destiny 2 just can't compete with that, it feels lifeless by comparison.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:48 am

Poor mans Hellgate London :wink:
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:36 am

Just hit level 20 (top level) after a few days play so that wasn't too long (maybe 10 hours ish) and still have more main mission to do.
I think the overall layout of the levels is large enough, it has diverse enough landscapes to keep me interested. Not found any invisible walls but maybe I'm good at being herded.

The shooting mechanic is great but despite me levelling up the guns constantly, I never get the feeling that I'm progressing. The enemies feel exactly the same, bullet sponge wise. I just want to be uber for a bit. Diablo 3 gets this perfectly, an increase in damage and I can waltz through levels or manually increase the difficulty to get better drops.

I'll see this through, try a few endgame things then I can see myself not bothering in the long term. I have too many other games to play!

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action