Destiny 2 - (PC, XONE, PS4) PC Open Beta August 29th

Shoot the shit.
DjchunKfunK

Re: Destiny 2 - (PC, XONE, PS4) September 2017

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:43 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Guessing you've read the RPS piece, then? :)

TBF the guy writing it said that he never played the first game except the demo, so he wouldn't have knowledge of the bigger picture stuff... though why they'd ask someone with no experience of the first game to write an impressions piece for the second, I don't know.

I'm still looking on with some interest, though, particularly if it can be played as a proper single-player experience.

There was a PC Gamer piece that was very similar the other day too.

I think even if you haven't played the original if you are into games to the level a games journalist is, you would know about the quality of the combat in Destiny.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Prey
Admin

Re: Destiny 2 - (PC, XONE, PS4) September 2017

Postby Prey » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:10 pm

PC GAMER are currently streaming the game live via Facebook.

The open beta on PC goes live tomorrow at 6pm UK time. I'm not expecting to be able to run it myself due to my AM2 based processor so would be nice to hear some thoughts from you guys on Destiny and it finally making its way on to the PC platform.

http://www.pcgamer.com/see-destiny-2s-f ... -settings/

Mantis
Admin

Re: Destiny 2 - (PC, XONE, PS4) PC Open Beta August 29th

Postby Mantis » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:03 pm

I'll be giving it a go, though I wasn't particularly impressed with the first game.

Lack of preloading is also daft.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:12 am

Really like it. They've streamlined some bits and it's definitely still Destiny but being able to play with Keyboard and mouse makes it so much more fun. PvP does have the same old "melee is king" thing going on so Im hoping that gets toned down, but the guns are satisfying and all seem pretty viable. As for PvE the intro mission (haven't done the strike yet) is satisfyingly long and has a few varied location and jesus is it pretty. Just depends on how long the story side ends up being really, as this was the main problem with Destiny 1.

Glad i pre-ordered!
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:25 am

I'm assuming this is a pre-order only beta?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:42 am

Rusty wrote:I'm assuming this is a pre-order only beta?

It was, but it opens up to all today.

I was rather underwhelmed by the beta on consoles.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:39 pm

Nice. Just fired up battlenet and it still says pre-order to play. But does also say it's open beta with today's date. Does it open later?

Aha, one quick google later - 6pm kick off.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:35 pm

Done the story segment but haven't played any of the versus modes yet. You've got to laugh at how hard this game tries to be epic, with it's completely typical sci-fi tropes and one dimensional characters.

Competent shooting mechanics that feel a lot like Call of Duty, very arcadey and mindless, with added bullet sponge enemies. Combine with a grinding loot system ala Diablo/Borderlands and you've really got the most paint by numbers gameplay imaginable.

I did not get the appeal of the first game, which was incredibly bad when I played it at launch, and this just seems like a lot more of the same but with added standard story segments. Fair play to folks who enjoy this stuff, but man is it unoriginal.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:10 pm

Mantis wrote:Done the story segment but haven't played any of the versus modes yet. You've got to laugh at how hard this game tries to be epic, with it's completely typical sci-fi tropes and one dimensional characters.

Competent shooting mechanics that feel a lot like Call of Duty, very arcadey and mindless, with added bullet sponge enemies. Combine with a grinding loot system ala Diablo/Borderlands and you've really got the most paint by numbers gameplay imaginable.

I did not get the appeal of the first game, which was incredibly bad when I played it at launch, and this just seems like a lot more of the same but with added standard story segments. Fair play to folks who enjoy this stuff, but man is it unoriginal.

Cheers mantis. You've pretty much listed everything there that makes my mind up about not getting this. Money saved. =D>

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:23 pm

Well after all the fuss surrounding what the game would need to run on PC I'm happy to say it runs on my PC and not only that it auto set everything to 1080p, 60fps and highest textures and on top of this it runs pretty much flawless. It seems to me like the game uses my 4 cores extremely well too, not just my GPU.

I had a play around and found the shooting mechanics to be just odd as fuck to put it bluntly but my son then had a go and he just blasted through it like a knife through butter. I guess those 3 years of playing the game on console really did pay off.

Not sure if I will buy it but it's certainly one of the most high quality beta's I've played in some time.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:17 pm

Think its par for the course for the big devs these days. These closed and open betas are purely there for hype and marketing build up and to entice pre ordering to a large extent. It was the same with any number of triple A developments in recent years the betas being perfectly fine for main release but guess what they've built up some preordering steam and lots of people braying about how good it is.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:33 am

Most betas for these sorts of games are to check authentication and server issues, not actual engine stuff.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:35 am

The game was actually running really well for me. Felt as I expected. All the keyboard controls were where I expected them to be.

Disappointed that exploring is not rewarded. You have to stay on the path, no extra ammo or fun stuff anywhere.

Played the 'story' through to the end. Nothing too exciting. I did feel like I had god mode on though as it was pretty easy.
Fired up a 'Strike' game and that seemed harder (in a good way) and fun. I had no idea what I was supposed to do but the two people I was playing with seemed to be confident but again, and we smashed it in one sitting. Definitely not on a par with World Of Warcraft bosses that take weeks of prep and solid tactics and timing.

I enjoyed it but not sure about pre-ordering it or even day of release. Maybe later. I like getting upgrades so that does float my boat.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:11 pm

Runs and plays a lot better on PC. If it was out at the same time and there were more people I know playing it on PC I would definitely grab it on there.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Was cautiously interested in this (never played the first), but after everyone's comments it's sounding a bit like don't bother, or pick up for cheap down the line.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action