Destiny 2 - (PC, XONE, PS4) PC Open Beta August 29th

Shoot the shit.
Mantis
Admin

Re: Destiny 2 - (PC, XONE, PS4) PC Open Beta August 29th

Postby Mantis » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:46 pm

I think it's not just that though. It's that it takes a variety of elements from different genres; shooters, MMOs, RPGs, etc. and doesn't do anything particularly original or inspiring with them. Have they really done anything new here? Or have they just taken a genre mash-up and thrown it into a Halo clone?

I had this issue with the first game too, but when I played the beta it literally did not illicit a single reaction from me throughout. I just go into autopilot mode and sit shooting stuff for a bit and my response at the end is "Well, that was a thing."

It just doesn't feel like this franchise has any soul at all to me.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:00 pm

A game doesn't have to do something new in order to be good. I'm not much of a Destiny fan and the first game had issues even after the Taken King, but in no way is it a Halo clone with a few added bits. Yes it takes bits from other shooters and puts them all together but that in itself is not something many other games have done. If you are looking for originality then it is in there in the Raids, they are unlike anything that has been in a shooter before.

The game might not be to everyone's tastes, but I don't think it deserves to be dismissed as a hollow worthless game.

After DOOM and Warframe the movement is incredibly and painfully slow

It is slower, but that isn't necessarily a negative.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:53 pm

While that may be completely subjective I think many do have issues with the treacle like movement speed Bungie have implemented which especially in pvp just feels like a complete hindrance and when I first started playing I genuinely could not believe just how slow my character felt. My Titan in Titanfall 2 feels more agile and manoeuvrable than my class felt in the beta - it was nothing short of jarring. Yes you get used to it because you have to but combine the treacle movement system with a super slow turning speed and I was literally forced to up my sensitivity up to something like 9 or even 10 just to make it feel partially remotely naturalistic to what I am used to. For instance the amount of times I've come across enemy players just standing there idle behind a nearby wall near to where I first spotted them I've lost count but it's due to the very fact they can only cover so much ground after an engagement starts and goes the wrong way they literally have no choice but to just duck and cover.

In so many games over the years we are just so used to spawning and sprinting or quick walking right into the action in multiplayer games spawning in Destiny 2 just felt immediately unnatural and just plain alien. I had to open the settings straight away to counter the sluggish movement. It just feels as though any sense of actual momentum is somehow sterilised and while this may have been something that original Destiny and console owners in general may not have been impacted by PC players will notice this straight away and like myself attempt to change it as quick as they can right away. No not every game should be made to feel like a strictly twitch based shooter but when the movement just feels so off compared to any other kind of shooter on PC it stands out like a sore thumb. They have said that speed can be altered with better gear which is all fine and well but you need to have to treacle run your way to get through matches to gain such gear in the first place.

Even console owners are commenting on how slow everything feels even compared to the original including the average time to kill, so it's not just a case of PC gamers being fussy or particular because they feel they can...

great gun play terrible character and movement gameplay. I feel the same it's like I'm stuck in superglue. The worst thing is simple direction change and movement speed. Strafing is a joke and fast direction change is terrible.

https://www.bungie.net/en-us/Forums/Pos ... t=0&page=0

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:12 pm

Can't say it felt unnaturally slow to me, this is literally the first I've heard of it being an issue!

It feels exactly like Halo did really, which was always on the slower side for arcade shooters but nothing like the treacle you describe. For me the look speed, for example, was way too high when I first loaded in and I set it down to about 2 or 3? Thought I do subscribe to the low sensitivity/large movements school of FPS aiming. You are limited in view and turning/strafing when sprinting so maybe that's what you're all talking about?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:07 pm

People saying the movement is slower compared to Destiny must be high, there is no noticeable difference to me.

As for the speed itself, I don't see it as an issue, it's fine if you prefere games with faster movement, but that doesn't make it bad.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:37 pm

I suppose Tichinde meant it's quite generic. It hasn't brought anything new to the table. Hence another another FPS shooter.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:05 am

What most PC owners will take from the beta is a "this is what console gamers have been fapping so hard over all these years??" kinda deal or at least I imagine so anyway. It's shallow. It's barely a challenge at all. The enemies are all the same or slight variations. Ai is weak to piss poor.The level design is practically pointless for the most part and even though they poured so much eye candy into them some parts won't even get a first glance never mind a second as you are shoe horned through it so quickly. BUT. I still had fun I admit it as the gun play makes up for most of what the game lacks. Ironically even many fans of the first game are pouring a lot of hate towards the changes made to the sequel calling it a complete nerfathon in many regards. Changes can and will be made though just as how Destiny went from its original clearly hacked the shit up release to the much revered The Taken King offering. If anything that's the very reason why expectations for Destiny 2 were so high.

Aside from the obvious graphical test bed the game will offer for everyone with both old and newer hardware the actual game itself I think is going to severely underwhelm a lot of people as it's far below the standards we have become used to the last few years with the likes of Titanfall 2's fantastic single player and even dare I say Infinite Warfare's campaign which I personally really enjoyed etc all either raising the bar or holding the bar firm in different areas. Destiny 2 comes over as a sci-fi shooter at the most basic level there is that just looks REALLY REALLY NICE with it. Bungie have promised 3-5 times the amount of content this time around but how much of that gets pile drived into expensive as fuck DLC remains to be seen.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:38 pm

Judging a one level beta against full games seems rather unfair wouldn't you say?

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:37 pm

Very true, but it had one chance to win me over. I was hovering over the buy button. ow I'll hover over the sale button :)

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Servers are live for anyone who managed to bag a physical copy early.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:27 am

Initial thoughts on Destiny 2.

-I really like how they have changed the Patrol zones. There is much more to do now and on top of that the missions have more story attached to them.
-I'm still not a fan of sniper rifles and shotguns being shunted into the Power Weapon category. I can probably live without the sniper rifles, but I miss not having a shotgun that I can use whenever. There also still seems to be an issue with power ammo dropping. Most of last night I never bothered to break out a power weapon due to the scarcity.
-There is an actual story this time, that you can follow, it's no great shakes, is rather hackney and has some very dodgy writing, but it's there.
-Public Events seem neat.
-Mission design is fairly bog standard so far, go here shoot that, and there is a fair amount of defending against waves of enemies. I'm only two hours in though so it could change up.

Overall it's very much more Destiny with some good QOL changes and a much improved Partol Zone, which should hopefully make farming for items and light levels much less grindy, but that is something I wont know for a while. I don't think the game is going to convert anyone who didn't like Destiny, but if you liked the shooting, but just felt there wasn't enough to do then I think you will enjoy Destiny 2.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:56 pm

Yessssss brother!
The cabal rises!
Nobody cared about me till I switched off the light.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:54 am

Anyone want some sparrow skin? That's a Destiny thing right? It's an Athena Victorious whatever the hell that is, I got it off Virgin Media. Turns out folk are selling them for stupid money on ebay so I'd rather someone who wanted it on here got it.

Don't ebay it yourself though or I'll have to break out the rusty bolt-cutters for your danglers, where it goes without saying that tetanus will be the least of your worries. :)

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:17 pm

Was going to give it a punt, but forgot that it's weeks off for PC
Boo! Been Sonic Mania'd again!
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:52 am

Medicine Man wrote:Anyone want some sparrow skin? That's a Destiny thing right? It's an Athena Victorious whatever the hell that is, I got it off Virgin Media. Turns out folk are selling them for stupid money on ebay so I'd rather someone who wanted it on here got it.

Don't ebay it yourself though or I'll have to break out the rusty bolt-cutters for your danglers, where it goes without saying that tetanus will be the least of your worries. :)

Don't worry MM, ubiquity has struck the ebayers :) Said skin is now available for 99p :D
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action