Middle-Earth: Shadow of Wardor

Shoot the shit.
Mantis
Admin

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Wardor

Postby Mantis » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:20 pm

That's right, it's a trailer for an announcement!

No clues about what is actually in store regarding gameplay just yet.

Hopefully they jack the Nemesis system into overdrive and base the whole game around it this time. Less dodgy sidequests and flower picking, full on warfare with loud mouth orcs, please.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Wardor

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Still only put about 7 hours into the first one. Just didn't really ever reach the point of enjoying playing it, for some reason. Maybe just too much brown and samey landscape. Partly the complicated M&K controls, so that after every break from the game I couldn't remember how to do anything, which was another barrier to getting back into it.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:23 pm

The first game was one of the better open world games from the last few years and I am looking forward to seeing how they improve on the excellent Nemesis system. Plus its Monolith.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:14 pm

Am I the only once confused that some sort of time travel was going on here in regards to the title for a few seconds?
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:51 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Still only put about 7 hours into the first one. Just didn't really ever reach the point of enjoying playing it, for some reason. Maybe just too much brown and samey landscape. Partly the complicated M&K controls, so that after every break from the game I couldn't remember how to do anything, which was another barrier to getting back into it.

You mustn't have gained a nemesis then - that was what made the original so memorable for me. That bastard goblin who initially fluked a win, levelled, beat me again when I tried for revenge, levelled, ending up an utterly unstoppable killing machine.

I set up ambushes with mind controlled mobs, got other orcs to gatecrash his parties, he slaughtered the lot and kept just getting stronger as a result. I had a genuine hatred of the bastard, he just KEPT showing up in my game at the most inopportune moments, turning the tide of fights against me with kill after kill.

When I finally killed him, he wasn't beheaded and came back with a nice bit of armour covering where I had battered his head. Eventually I managed it, but that must have been after over 20-30 hours of play. One of the most satisfying kills ever in any game I have ever played.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:18 pm

The system will have to have really evolved for me to want to go back to it. I got part way through the second map and felt like I'd more or less finished with the game in terms of fun factor. I did spend 30 something hours on the first map having a blast with the captains and clearing all the side quests though. Think by the time I'd advanced to the second area the first set of orc captains were completely wiped out, I'd killed them so fast in one sitting.

They just need to improve the system by making it deeper and actually give you interesting missions to do where you can bump into anyone at a moments notice. One of the best bits about the first game was doing a random mission and always bumping into the same guy. You'd never execute him permanently, just send him running or beat him to a pulp; eventually he'd come back looking so horrifically scarred and seriously pissed at you.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:27 pm

First one was an odd game. Been awhile since playing. Lots to enjoy about it but something was holding it back for me. It felt very samey after awhile and the open world cluttery thing was definitely there. The combat was fun though on the whole. Story was very sparse really.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:12 pm

Also, the first game didn't feel Lord of the Rings-y in the slightest. The whole tone was way off. It was blatantly a separate IP which they plastered some LotR-sounding things onto for some extra sales.

I could draw a face on my willy with a little toy hat on the end, and then call it Gandalf, and it would be more representative of Tolkien's creation than Shadow of Mordor.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:38 pm

What, again?
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:55 pm

Sly Boots wrote:What, again?

The wrinkles really added to the likeness.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:24 pm

:lol:

I'd ask about the grey beard, but really, I don't want to know...
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:09 pm

Preview.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... sis-system

It sounds like they are really building on the Nemesis System and I really like the sound of what they are going for.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:41 pm

Exactly what I was hoping for.

Here's the linked video:

It actually looks great. Seems like they might be dropping the large open world aspect in favour of more isolated missions where you capture rival forts and accomplish set objectives.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:57 pm

I was watching the Giant Bomb video on this, and I believe they said heard that it's still mostly an open world, where you're out and about, disrupting and undermining the enemy forces while building your own. Each area then climaxes with one of the big, cinematic fortress battles they're demoing in the video.

It'll be interesting to see how they'll keep you moving about the world map, or if the open areas are essentially levels to be beaten in order.

Also, I really, really enjoyed the first one. I'm ready for more...dor.
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Ah yeah, about two minutes into the Giant Bomb video they say that each map is similar in size to the ones in the original game and that the big finale for each one is one of the assaults on a fortress. From scrolling around the world map and seeing how many fortresses there are though that seems to imply that this will be a great deal larger than the first game overall. I hope the deeper mechanics they're implementing for other parts of the game are enough to sustain such a huge playtime.

Next

Return to FPS & Action