For Honor - Multi-era Melee Combat (Release 14th Feb)

Shoot the shit.
Mantis
Admin

Re: For Honor - Multi-era Melee Combat (Release 14th Feb)

Postby Mantis » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:02 pm

You'll have to feedback after a few days of seeing how everything holds up then.

My experiences with lag and drops was mostly on the 4v4 modes. Generally it would take an age to load, then someone would disconnect near the start of the match and whilst trying to find a new host it would trigger several other people to drop. I didn't really like dominion mode anyway but 4v4 deathmatch was something I'd probably dip into from time to time. 1v1 and 2v2 would be my most played and were mostly lag free but it still took a while to get games going at times, and I'm not sure how long the legs on those modes will be when the game actually launches.

Not ruling out getting it when it's a bit cheaper as Ubisoft seemed to have done good work on Rainbow 6 Siege after release.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:24 pm

So... I may have accidentally bought this twice? Anyone fancy buying a code off me for the Gold Edition? :D I'm sure a reasonable discount can be arranged (punishment for my own stupidty shall we say)
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Emaharg

Postby Emaharg » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:28 pm

I have gone ahead and got this. Personally I think it's a great game. I did get a lot of matchmaking problems, from trying to find a game, to 3 people dropping out instantly. I even got a few cases where I had executed someone only for the server to reconnect me, only to find the person I just executed to be very much alive and end up killing me. Mildly infuriating. But despite all of those problems I still found myself coming back for more punishment.

I have grown to love the Warlord, and even got to Prestige 1 level 10 during the open beta. It suits my lack of skill and slow reflexes perfectly. Come face to face with a pro-rochi? I'll just use my full block and headbutt you following up with a stab. Didn't like that did you? Yeah, that's right you run off and I'll keep zone A for myself. Another great tactic I used, that once I unlocked the bear trap skill I would stand on the edge of a bridge or cliff and set the trap just in front of me (making sure I didn't end up standing in it), then waited for someone who thinks they have an easy push of the edge (especially Raiders). They would then get caught in the trap and have 0 stamina, giving me a good chance to get in a few big hits before they realise they have no stamina. I also tried the Berserker with their infinite combos (if done correctly), but I was already in the mindset of blocking, and they have limited block which I couldn't adapt to. I'm hoping the Valkyrie is fun to play too as I think I might enjoy playing as her.

There is also the "story" mode as well which I have seen very very little of bar a cutscene. Going to be interesting to see how it works. I think you play as one class from each faction during their campaign part. But I'm hoping there is a little wiggle room to choose different characters, maybe after you complete it?

Looking forward to this, shame I won't get to have a good playthrough with it until Wednesday though!

Quietman wrote:So... I may have accidentally bought this twice? Anyone fancy buying a code off me for the Gold Edition? :D I'm sure a reasonable discount can be arranged (punishment for my own stupidty shall we say)

How much you asking?

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:05 pm

£55? Tenner off?

Oranje Head

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Jesus, where did you pay £65 for a copy? I'm so used to checking only on cdkeys for new release prices that I forget how outrageous the RRP of these things are nowadays. Assuming £20 value for the season pass, £45 for this game is just beyond mental.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:26 pm

It's £60 for the gold edition on CDKeys?

Oranje Head

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Ah, it's gone up. I checked a week or so ago and it was £5 cheaper. They do have a habit of doing that as games get closer to release.

Watching some Twitch streamers who have early access to the full game and I must admit it's proving hard to not pick up a copy. It's not often a multiplayer game comes along that I enjoy so much.

Emaharg

Postby Emaharg » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:30 pm

Quietman wrote:£55? Tenner off?

If I could have refunded my original purchase I would have taken that upgrade, but alas Uplay do not refund digital purchases. Gutted as well as I have just found this video.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Just realised that the season pass doesn't lock the extra heroes out for standard game owners, you just get them for free a week earlier than everyone else. After that they become purchaseable with ingame currency for standard players. Other than that you just get EXP boosts and additional cosmetics. No way is all that worth the extra cash.

Base game available for £32 on GMG. Just caved in and bought it.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:50 pm

Still playing this, though holy crap the mixture of awful network/interface design ruins the 4v4 modes so much, and the community is pretty toxic too.

Not sure what kind of legs this is going to have long term. The technical issues seem to already be pushing a lot of players away going by the reddit and official forum.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:17 pm

Yeah the whole tech mcguffins is putting me right off it. I was hovering over the buy button earlier but nahhhhh.

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:41 pm

Unless they redo the p2p to dedicated servers. There's very little they can do about the network issues and the issues with people being kicked/ddos after being in a match with some asshole.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:00 am

It sounds like the netcode is a bit of a mess because p2p can be fine. A lot of Xbox 360 online was p2p including stuff like Gears.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:27 pm

It's only really an issue in 4v4 modes where there can be noticeable periods of lag which can easily result in someone rubber banding into you and throwing you off a ledge. I've seen it even when everyone has full green ping bars too.

The worst thing is just generally how the system was designed though. One person dropping means the session has to resynchronise, which pauses the game for everybody for 5-10 seconds. It has a habit of triggering multiple other players to start dropping too so that you'll freeze up for 10 seconds, then 5 seconds after the game continues someone else will drop. Rinse and repeat to the point of nausea.

Considering that this is primarily a multiplayer game (almost 100% in fact as the campaign is just dog) it's plagued with so many awful design decisions. The matchmaking is utterly atrocious, it'll either fail to find a game and dump you back to the main menu outside of multiplayer, or it'll find a game which is full and also dump you back to the very first menu. Why it can't just keep searching for other games is a mystery. If too many people leave a lobby post-game it will also kick you out too and any friends you're in a group with get dumped separately so you have to reform, which isn't always easy because invites will often repeatedly fail until one of you reboots the game from desktop.

The interface is also terrible. There's so much dead time between games where you're just spamming the A button on your pad to try and skip all the unnecessary pages of information.

I really hope Ubisoft pulls their finger out and patches all of these gripes, because the core game is still very very fun.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:19 pm

Not sure why they went down the p2p route here, surely hosting these games via traditional server model was the way to go. Seem like they have made a pretty decent game here and its losing sales because of route alpha problems with connectivity. I'm sure they'll figure it out but it needs to be quickly anything longer than say 6 months and the game drifts into prehistory status in gamers minds.

Previous

Return to FPS & Action