Scalebound

Shoot the shit.
Lee

Scalebound

Postby Lee » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:09 pm

Didn't find a topic on it but bad news for anyone wanting to play it. Been Canned now.

http://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-excl ... n-canceled

After careful deliberation, Microsoft Studios has come to the decision to end production for "Scalebound." We're working hard to deliver an amazing lineup of games to our fans this year, including "Halo Wars 2," "Crackdown 3," "State of Decay 2," "Sea of Thieves" and other great experiences. For more information on our 2017 plans, please visit:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Subway Diet

Re: Scalebound

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:47 am

Damn shame. Was really looking forward to it. :(
End of an Era

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:58 am

I have to admit I've never heard of this game before. But I do always thinks it's a shame when something that a lot of people no doubt put huge time and effort into gets canned.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:21 am

Also some rumours that Platinum was being screwed over while making this title. I could be wrong but Platinum games sell by the bucket load so seems like a really dumb decision.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:43 pm

Lee wrote:Also some rumours that Platinum was being screwed over while making this title. I could be wrong but Platinum games sell by the bucket load so seems like a really dumb decision.

Platinum games are usually good games, but they never sell that well. Bayonetta is probably their biggest seller at 2.1m with MGS: Rising next at 1.9m, everything else has struggled to crack 1m. However they also make bad games. Last year for instance they gave us Turtles and StarFox both of which were bad and both of which bombed.

As for the scuttlebutt about Platinum being screwed over, I can't stand people posting tweets about how they know something that suggests such and such. Either say what you know or don't say anything. On a topic like this which is quite contentious the last thing we need are vague rumours.

Personally whilst I thought Scalebound sounded good it never really looked good when shown and the demos this year were especially ropey.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Seems like it had a pretty troubled development. I remember being interested in the initial announcement for this way back at an E3. Can't believe it was 4 years ago though. So little info or footage of the game has been released since then apart from the odd demo at later conferences, it's plain that they must have really been having issues with it.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:15 pm

I have a real fear that Platinum might have made the classic mistake of scaling up quickly and growing bigger than they can manage.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:40 pm

It's just as likely that their relationship with Microsoft was the reason it was canned. From what I've gathered in the past, largely recalling pressures on Lionhead throughout Fable 2 and Fable 3, Microsoft can be a nightmare to deal with when a developer is working on exclusive titles for them.

Overall I think they've had far more hits than misses with their games, Nier: Automata looks fantastic too. Star Fox was received moderately well, I think the problem with sales being poor was more to do with the Wii U essentially being dead in the water by that point.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:25 am

I understand the Microsoft angle and maybe they are hard to deal with, but at the same time Platinum have taken on a lot of work over the last few years and their output has become worse in conjunction with that.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:52 pm

That's true I guess. Legend of Korra and that Turtles game were very bad, and Star Fox is only average.

They just need to work on Vanquish 2.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:52 pm

I don't understand that; how can a publisher cancel an independent studio's game? Did Microsoft own the IP?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Raid wrote:I don't understand that; how can a publisher cancel an independent studio's game? Did Microsoft own the IP?

They were financing the development. I think Platinum still own the IP so they could resurrect the game if they found alternate funding.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:56 pm

Right, so presumably Platinum get compensated for loss of revenue?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:40 pm

Would depend on the contract, but I wouldn't bank on it...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Yeah unlikely.

Next

Return to FPS & Action