Sonic Mania

Shoot the shit.
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Sonic Mania

Postby Raid » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:37 pm

I don't tend to get excited about new Sonic games, but I feel this one is a little more noteworthy than most. It's being made in collaboration with the people who ported Sonics CD, 1 and 2 to mobile devices recently. These were significant because they weren't emulated versions of the 16-bit era games, they were running on a new engine entirely (with art assets presumably ported over). The physics were practically identical to the originals. This is worth mentioning because Sonic Mania is being built using this same engine, so it's going to feel like one of the Mega Drive games. It certainly looks and sounds like one.

Mania is going to have both new courses and remakes of older classics, and they've already done Green Hill Zone to show off. The character movement is pretty much exact from what they've shown, though most of the assets have been improved. Have a look here to judge for yourself:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... aiting-for

So yeah, this looks like the game I've been saying they should make for twenty years. I didn't understand the 3D games; Sonic *never* worked in 3D - his movement was so much better suited to a 2D plane. There were passable attempts at a 3D version that weren't bad (namely in Generations), but the vast majority, from Adventure through to Boom were just appalling rubbish that suggested Sonic had never been a popular series and yet inexplicably kept getting made.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Re: Sonic Mania

Postby Wolfy » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:29 pm

I think they announced Generations 2 at the same time, but to be fair, this was the big'un.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Paul

Postby Paul » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:33 pm

A friend linked me to the game the other day, and yes - this is the game they should have made 20 years ago.

I've only enjoyed two games since the Megadrive era: Sonic R, and Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. Those aside, bleh.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:47 pm

Yup, looks like we're finally getting Sonic 4. Beware, the person playing is absolutely rubbish at it.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:16 pm

Only just seen this video! And yeah, I'm gonna be singing the song from that second zone for days now.

Looks absolutely brilliant.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:21 am

I haven't been following this too closely, but noticed these in a suggested videos link on Youtube.

Tails gameplay in Studiopolis Zone

Knuckles gameplay in new zone Mirage Saloon

Perhaps they stopped making good 2D Sonic games because the Mania team went back in time and kidnapped the Mega Drive-era developers, and brought them forward to today. Everything just looks and sounds so right. The music is amazing on both of the new zones shown so far.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:53 am

I refuse to believe that they are capable of producing a Sonic game as good as the original Mega Drive ones. If I'm proved wrong on that I will be happy beyond words; to play a modern version with all the style of the classics would bring back waves of nostalgia and be simply amazing.

There's been some okay entries over the years but they've always missed the mark on certain things; like for instance, Generations was pretty good on the 2D sections but still poor with the 3D Temple-Run style gameplay. Sonic Episode 1-2 that came out on the Xbox 360 arcade years ago had some good design put into it but the physics system completely killed any sense of speed a lot of the time.

No, I won't get my hopes up for this. I refuse.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:42 pm

The fact that they are nailing the music so far is what has me optimistic.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue May 30, 2017 8:57 pm

Sonic Mania will cost $20

That seems like a pretty reasonable price.

And a new trailer, with some lovely artwork and new level designs.

Return to FPS & Action