Titanfall 2 - First FREE DLC Dropping November 30th

Shoot the shit.
DjchunKfunK

Re: Titanfall 2 [PC, PS4, XBone]

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:16 pm

I very much doubt EA were projecting 9m units sold. That sounds like a figure pulled out of the air by the research firm.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:25 pm

Quite possibly Nat but it being EA it wouldn't surprise me.

Titanfall was never set to be a major player nor was it ever really destined to be no matter how much they thought additional content lacking from the first release coupled with a truly solid single player campaign would truly make all the difference. Battlefield 1 is proving hands down that sometimes going back is the best way forward and EA should have long come to realise that the thematic sci-fi and the fps genre are no longer 100% no holds barred successful bed fellows. EA seem unaware those times are past which is why the next Call of Duty is rumoured to be circling around returning gamers to good old 'Nam, somewhere the genre actually belongs. Infinite Warfare will sell no doubt, it's CoD with a very much loved remake attached but I doubt it will sell the kind of numbers it would have a few years ago.

We are being told now that the release date could not be changed even if they wished it could which sounds very much like commercial suicide to me. The game was practically due to fail all along if that is the case and it looks like yet another promising IP will soon be dead and buried leaving yet more space for the CoD's and the BF's to continue to dominate.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:22 pm

Due to having no Mafia III to play right now I decided to go for the next best thing everyone is talking about, yes this. Having read/watched numerous reviews and feedback from gamers £32 for a full campaign, multiplayer and free updates (even if they are minimal) was worth a shot.

Currently downloading and will report back on the game at some point over the weekend in full.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:02 am

* this game will not be compatible with preys pc....

Sorry Dave crack on ol boy :)

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:43 am

You will all no doubt be relieved to hear that it runs and runs like a dream. Extremely well optimised game online and off.

So far the campaign is as if someone threw Halo, Crysis, Mirror's Edge, DOOM 2016 and Half-life into a smelting pot and the level design is especially well done making the most of wall running and double boosting at every turn. For a Source based game the visual improvements over the first are plain to see too. Looks amazing.

Online play feels much more punishing than the first but is insanely fun still.

Very impressed so far.

Leewom

Location: His own immersive FPS World - with really good physics!

Postby Leewom » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:01 am

Heading back from Poland today and gagging for some titanfall!!!!

Feel free to add me on origin peeps (leewom) be good to team up in both Titanfall and Battlefield.
"Laughter is when a smile orgasms"

Gamertag: Leewom PSN: Leewom69 Steam: raptor_995

sohei

Postby sohei » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:30 pm

Prey wrote:You will all no doubt be relieved to hear that it runs and runs like a dream. Extremely well optimised game online and off.

So far the campaign is as if someone threw Halo, Crysis, Mirror's Edge, DOOM 2016 and Half-life into a smelting pot and the level design is especially well done making the most of wall running and double boosting at every turn. For a Source based game the visual improvements over the first are plain to see too. Looks amazing.

Online play feels much more punishing than the first but is insanely fun still.

Very impressed so far.

This sounds like a pleasant surprise. I'm always up for a decent SP campaign. Think I'll give it a go.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:38 pm

Just finished the single player part. 8 hours on Master difficulty and wasn't hunting collectables.

That was really damn good. Like others have said, it feels like a Call of Duty style game doing a "greatest hits" of the recent history of FPS... with Mechs.
Plenty of cool moments with big spectacle while also just feeling really good to move about and shoot. Good stuff!

All that said, I still think Doom is the best recent shooter. Boils down to the way the combat flows. At the end of the day, Titanfall 2 still feels like it came from the CoD blueprint, where as Doom did something really fresh with the moody arena shooter. :-k

Anyway! I'm looking to jump into the MP side of things soon enough.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:04 pm

What raises it above your average CoD release is the unique approach to the level design which often puts it more in the realms of say Portal with ever altering areas that require you to deal with both flow of movement and combat progression on the fly. I have had flashbacks from a multitude of games already
Spoiler: show
even from far more obscure fps releases such as the excellent Singularity.

The constant connection between pilot and BT is also refreshing compared to simply being buzzed in your ear needlessly.

The more I play the more I'm appreciating what Respawn have attempted in injecting a much needed narrative and gameplay twist on everything we have experienced in the last few years. It may still remain with CoD in terms of shooter aesthetics/base mechanics but everything else besides is a decent enough step above IMHO. Unlike say the bloody terrible BLOPS 3 single player campaign it is at least memorable as well as enjoyable.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:17 pm

Oh boy. The reviews weren't wrong concerning the mission "Effect and Cause" either...

Not since the likes of the original Bioshock have I played a level that's had me so downright unnerved. The wonderful art sound/design coupled with a genuinely creepy atmosphere as the robots slowly come back to life plus everything beyond that point are something that will stay with me for some time.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:17 pm

If it wasnt for Doom this would have been the best SP FPS in years! The dumbness of the emergency weapon and the next bit was great.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:52 pm

Hm. Not sure how I feel about the MP. It lacks the liveliness of the first game. Big maps where you go for what feels like ages, barely even seeing your own teammates until some MLG Pro Ninja zaps you out of the blue.
It's all very dry and quick, and I might not be good enough with the mouse to hack it with this crowd. I might come around on it after a few more matches, but it's a tough act to follow after the hectic knockabout fun of Overwatch.

Haha. So, essentially, what I'm saying is this game is the second best SP and MP FPS in a year where some exceptionally amazing shooters have come out. :P

Edit: Couple more rounds. It's getting better, but it's also something more of a time investment? I don't know if long multiplayer matches are quite what I'm after at the moment.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Struggling so much in multiplayer it's as if all the die hard hardcore players from the first are the only ones playing or I just completely suck at the game online. I used to do pretty well on the first whereas TF2 just feels like whatever changes made were perhaps not all for the better.

Only level 10 so thing's could change dramatically yet just as if right now I'm not really enjoying any online game mode and really, really wish that I were.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:58 pm

It's like a sped up version of the whole "The casual players left, and only the hardcore are still playing" server situation.
I'm straight up embarrassed playing this. It feels like the teams I've fought alongside would have probably won had my lame ass not been dragging them down.

After another evening of having more stress than enjoyment, I'm starting to regret buying this on PC. I'm sure I'd fit in better with the controller crowd on this one. :(

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:00 am

I hear ya man. All we both want out of a match is to feel as if we contributed somehow but it always seems to end up as an exercise in frustration unable to do anything before I'm dead due to being invisi sniped, blown up, assassinated etc etc etc. Even my son who played well over 80 hours of the first game and prestiged several times finds it tough going and came off after just two matches and a handful of kills. I tried out Last Titan Standing last night before I came off and my team of 5 was up against a team of 4 due to an afk and we still got our arses handed to us thanks to the opposing team all playing as Tone and with one of my team saying they should rename the game Tonefall as that's the class everyone seems to play as. I play as Legion myself.

Anyway I finished the single player campaign last night and can honestly say I loved every minute of it. It's a true shot at making the fps genre feel uniquely diverse once again as each new mission would throw in something very different to the last and the bond you have with your Titan is explored in full throughout and not since Half-Life 2's Dog some 12 years ago have I felt such an affinity towards a supporting character...

The ending had me shouting BT NOOOOOOOOOO! at my screen

I don't regret buying the game at all but can understand where you are coming from Rob as the control levels playing amidst the PC crowd are nothing short of wtf!?!?!? God damn it!!! :|

Here's hoping the game gets some balancing issues resolved though and I can get back into having fun with it and more importantly feeling like I'm doing my part once again instead of turning it off because I feel about as much use as a fucking damp tea bag with a controller resting on top of it. :lol: :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action