Assassins Creed: Origins

Shoot the shit.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: Assassins Creed: Origins

Postby Snowy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:28 pm

Hope you enjoy it mate, I did plenty :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:47 pm

I've been putting a lot of time into the console version over the last few days. I have to say that there are things that I like, but also the game is lacking a bit of 'soul', for lack of a better word. I enjoy exploring Egypt and it is great to finally like the combat in an AC game, but the story and the characters aren't really grabbing me at the moment.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:25 pm

Same DJ. I do like the stealth combat and mechanics associated especially the eagle. I dislike the combat outside of stealth I just end up whaling away at them.

The setting is good and it's clear they've put a lot of effort into it. I feel this is sadly wasted as once again it's full of cookie cutter side missions. The main missions are fine from what I've played though.

Bayek is not an interesting character unlike say ezio or kenway.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:40 am

Not played much of this due to Christmas shifts. But I am sooo liking this.

Spoiler: show
I did sneak up and kill Ibis in his sleep. Got to go back though, as there is still 2 loot left to find.

Oh and I have to say, as a yorkshire man, I almost fell of my chair and died laughing first time I heard his name. All he needs is a flat cap and a whippet. :lol:
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:18 pm

OK...

I may have looted something I shouldn't have.

First there was a storm of locus, then it rained friggin beatles. Then a man in a loin cloth keeps popping up, i follow him and he sits down and vanishes at locations I have already visited and cleared out.

I may have upset the gods a weee bit. :lol:

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:24 am

Weird, I didn't get that and I was as sticky-fingered as they come!

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:41 pm

Well...

I was in Kensu Noma. A little to the left of a ruined temple is a group of 4 or 5 snakes and some dead soldiers. After you loot it, a message says it may be cursed. Well no shit it is.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:30 pm

Just as was the case with Mafia III months after release it's finally my turn to play...

29 hours in and it's quite possibly my favourite AC game since Black Flag no wait of course it fucking is!! I will post some more in depth thoughts later once I get all this sand out of my ass crack.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:04 pm

Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:08 pm

I had a lot of fun with it, very good game indeed.

Oh, and welcome back Dave :)

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:15 pm

So then some pros and cons after 33 hours of fairly rigorous play and 20% + completion rate on Nightmare difficulty...

What Prey loves:

The last game that gave me such a sense of place as this one does has to be the often overlooked Ghost Recon Wildlands as I distinctly remember playing that game and pondering on just what an AC game in such a dense vast world would be like, now I know. I will say right off that as beautiful as Origins is with its superb in built photo mode that will keep me snapping for months I do think GRW just slightly nudges it for graphical beauty mainly because of the dense foliage which obviously isn't much of a part of ancient Egypt and secondly due to when it rained again not something that tends to happen too much in deserts. What a world it is though, gone are the endless sea of roof tops and window frames replaced by crusty stone pillars and proud majestic statues. The way dust skips across sand dunes and birds flock to watery areas, there's so many minute details to appreciate its pretty amazing stuff.

The general ambience and feeling of life going on around you is masterful. Flying around above the way you can tag anything below from a deer sleeping to a big cat hunting or even a child simply playing on a busy dirt road just fires the imagination at all times. If there's one thing they learned and learned well from The Witcher 3 it is how to bring your world to life - although it's not always the case but more on that later.

Hunting Party. I do actually think that this game has the best hunting experience in any game to date as no matter what you are going after there are so many different approaches you can take and the wildlife you go after will react to you in countless surprising ways. I once set my boat on fire trying to land an arrow in a hippos mouth and had to dive into the water only for a pack of crocs to suddenly appear out of nowhere and start attacking it as I made my swift escape away from the fight and burning wreckage. Also you've not seen mayhem in a game until you've seen a heard of hippo aggressively attacking a small town, bedlam. The fact every single kill will either get you coin or improve your gear just makes the time you pour into hunting a pure joy that could easily consume most of the time you spend playing, and it does.

Sandy Sherlock. The games investigation mode is also a welcome addition and is much in line with that found in Witcher 3. Some of the missions are widely spread out too so you need to remain keenly aware if you are to ever come across the required sites that make up the overall quest path.

What Prey likes but could be improved:

Sand storms. When I first was made aware that they took place in the game I instantly thought of how they were handled in Mad Max and admit I got myself a little too hyped over running into my first so when I eventually did I was bitterly disappointed as aside from Bayek raising his hand to his face now and again they actually don't cause you any grief whatsoever as they did in MM. The fact they barely even slow you down nevermind halt you in any true form or fashion just made me kinda go well what's the point of this then? Being forced to actively seek shelter ala Max would have really added a lot to the game I feel.

Combat city. Yes the combat I feel is a vast improvement over Syndicate and Unity but that's not to say it isn't without its problems. Playing on the highest difficulty I have had to learn it inside and out too and I have genuinely enjoyed some of the best fights I had since The Witcher 3's. The problems begin mostly when you are on any kind of raised platforms and enemy AI begin either falling off or bugging out making what was one moment a calculated fight for survival all a bit of a bugged up mess that you can often so easily take direct advantage of. I still think there's room for improvement especially also with the horse back combat although it is still rather good and always enjoyable to fire a burning arrow in slow motion behind you into an enemies face.

Abilities. I'm not quite sure what it is about the abilities in this game but I feel slightly underwhelmed by a great deal of them and as such have put most of mine into the Hunting tree which is a huge help for my particular style of play. I do think the game could help you out much more in terms of how much coin you can gain especially as even after 30 hours I've only just hit the 10k mark then again I have spent it on every new outfit I came across so my fault entirely I guess. Just asking for 3 whole points just to be able to do some otherwise very minor stuff doesn't sit with me all that well.

I know it may seem like a eh who cares kind of matter but I for one cannot keep thinking about running around on my horse as she slows to a crawl only to spot an oasis in the distance then getting her there to drink from it. This would have been so very simple to implement too and I can't help but feel it's a hugely missed opportunity that would have served to bond you with your mount beyond the mere fact you ride it to near death constantly. Just imagine how long it would take to traverse the world without her.

Tomb Waster. Is it just me or are the tombs just a bit - undercooked? I know it's not a TR game but I kind of expected a little bit more than the boxy 3-4 room interiors I've located so far. I want a tomb I can genuinely get lost in instead so far I've had a welsh caravan filled with trinkets. Oh well.

What Prey dislikes:

The big fat nothing. During my first few hours of play I was constantly finding new things to loot and explore and it gave me the impression that every single new area I came across would be exactly the same, that was until I reached the western White desert region and spent a good amount of time riding through it without spotting a single enemy, new location, bit of loot or even a sign of any actual wildlife. Yeah sure I understand - it's a desert but for gods sake riding through a map that was so utterly devoid of anything at all made me feel like I was a bloody map tester looking for bugs and not a rugged desert wanderer looking for treasures amidst the deadly open lands. I quite literally could not wait to get through that area and I don't intend to go back there anytime soon.

100% CPU usage. It seems to me that this issue has plagued the game since it first released so I wasn't expecting it to be an issue at all for me after many months and patches but lo and behold it rears its ugly head far too often when I enter certain areas and for someone who has just literally bought a brand new CPU it's not the best situation to have. Luckily I have very good cooling in my system and my GPU never goes over 68 even under heavy load but throttling my CPU no matter what graphical changes I make just isn't any kind of good. I want to enjoy the game and not have to worry that my CPU is going to blow up at any minute and again the fact it remains in certain parts even if I dial back my settings is something you would expect Ubisoft would have tackled by now which makes me think many are right when they lay the blame firmly at the games included DRM as the primary culprit.

The DLC train. Now I'm normally a complete sucker for DLC in a game such as this especially if it comes to new outfits or additional added areas to extend a game but honestly the amount of DLC on sale for this game is borderline ludicrous even for Ubisoft. I have every intention of buying the season pass but for once not until I've finished the main game but the amount of Helix points and money paid to get you every single bit of DLC available is just insane I must say. A few extra items thrown into the base game wouldn't have hurt.

So yeah as you can tell I'm really enjoying Origins and after so long waiting to play it for the most part it most certainly doesn't disappoint and I can see myself playing it still in another 12 months if not even further. Ubisoft have found their passion for the series once more and in turn so have I.

Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:49 pm

It's a beautifully presented game that held my interest for about 15hours. Sadly I found it was fairly typical of the older games with a lot of cookie cutter content. The combat was fine I guess and I think there was some nuances in the sword play that I just couldn't get to grips with. Main story was ok i think....though not ok enough that I remember what it was about. No recollection of any side quests that I remember.

It was a 6/10 for me.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Dave, while I don't want to stop your waxing lyrical about AC:O, your reappearance and a comment above has made me sit up and take notice, so...

Can we get some more Wildlands co-op in soon? :)

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:52 pm

What no Vermintide 2 you mean surely snowy :P
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:10 pm

Haha always up for V2, but GR:W is a fucking brilliant co-op experience. And currently very cheap on this weekend's Steam deals...

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action