Assassins Creed: Origins

Shoot the shit.
Mantis
Admin

Re: Assassins Creed: Origins

Postby Mantis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:00 pm

I wasn't referring to the lootboxes in this instance, mate. Ubisoft have done these little skip payments for a while now where you can literally pay to access content faster, whether by skipping through levels, offering large XP modifiers or just giving you items outright without needing to complete content to unlock them. It certainly goes as far back as Black Flag as I've seen the options to buy them on the store, the uPlay store has things like complete maps for treasure rather than having to individually locate them and such.

I'm not sure what format they take in this instance, but I've definitely seen interviews from the devs where they said they would still include them as an option for the customers looking to 'save time'.

Honestly I absolutely hate that argument so much. If the content in your game is so long winded or dull that people might rather pay to skip it than subject themselves to it then it's a sign the content didn't even need to exist in the first place as it clearly doesn't take anything away from the core experience of the game. Respect the entire playerbase's time by not having them perform bland grinding tasks rather than stringing out your gameplay and then milking people dry when they might not want to finish the whole thing. It's incredibly bad game design and stems from these large studios being pushed into making games that are 40+ hours long when they could easily give people the same amount of satisfaction out of being 15 hours long.

Literally every large studio does this nowadays, it's only Ubisoft who have had the balls to actually start charging people to actively not play their games as far as I'm aware though.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:25 pm

I think they're just taking advantage of the fact a portion of gamers are a bit weird that way. They know they can put a price on progression, so they do.

Personally I've always found it barmy, but a lot of gamers out there don't really like playing games, they just like achievements and reaching goals. (And having a shiny badge to show for it).

For them, paid progression is like the betting slip to a gambling addict.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:34 pm

It is truly bizarre.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:28 pm

Looks like Origins is doing very well sales wise according to Ubisoft selling twice what Syndicate sold in units the first week or so...

On a "comparable basis," which in this case looks at units sold during their first 10 days, sales of Origins are double that of Syndicate. Ubisoft unfortunately didn't provide specific sales figures, but this is an encouraging sign for the company after it gave the franchise a year off.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/assas ... 0-6454741/

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:36 pm

I wonder if they'll take that as a hint that they should go to a two year release schedule as standard, or are they already rubbing their hands with glee that people are invested in the series again and willing to fork out for Origins 2 next year.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:42 am

Mantis wrote:I wonder if they'll take that as a hint that they should go to a two year release schedule as standard, or are they already rubbing their hands with glee that people are invested in the series again and willing to fork out for Origins 2 next year.

I am always suspicious when a studio releases a game every year. Sooner or later the schedule catches up with you and the quality slips. I think any real fan of the games will happily wait two years for a new game.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:51 am

I wonder if there might not be another like Black Flag - that came about after a brief sailing element to a preceding game iirc. There is a very cool little vignette in the game where you play Bayak's wife going to meet Pompey on the seas near Rome. You are in an oar-powered Bireme complete with ram, and have some nice sea battles along the way. It has a very different feel to the sailing in Black Flag but worked really well, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them do something more with it.

Here's my punt at the next in the series - it will be set around the time of the Iliad and the siege of Troy, with lots of bi/tri/quinquireme combat.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:32 pm

So - main story is now complete, with one level of experience left to run.

42 hours played to reach this point, but I took my time and explored, did side quests, found tombs etc. Good value for money though.

Some nice touches too in terms of explaining some of the elements of previous titles, which I won't post spoilers for unless asked, things like the origin of the logo, the reason behind removing a finger in the Ezio series, the relevance of the feather to assassinations and others. It won't convert anyone to the cause that doesn't like the series, but I enjoyed my time in Egypt. I will probably go back and mop up the remaining quests that interest me as well as explore the 4 or 5 zones I still have left on the map.

Previous

Return to FPS & Action