Assassins Creed: Origins

Shoot the shit.
Rossell

Re: Assassins Creed: Origins (Due 2017)

Postby Rossell » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:53 pm

Did you do what I did and sneak into a stronghold way above your level and see what you could pull off?

PaladinAl

Postby PaladinAl » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Yeah pretty sure I did that a few times since it's so easy to get an easy kill in then zipline away with that idiotic grappling hook (seriously that made the game far too bloody easy what were they thinking) that you could easily whack thugs four levels higher than you. Another thing: looking forward to playing an Ass Creed that isn't set somewhere I have actually been because they are proper screwy with their geography. Heck, in Syndicate they even took liberties with history; the Whitechapel Station they have in game wasn't completed until a few years after the game is set. Oh and I just felt a little tingly thinking of how they're going to incorporate Egyptian mythology and religion into the storyline, really loving how you can tie their Pieces of Eden in with genuine religious mythology. Plus Egypt is one of the "cradles of civilization" so things could get real interesting with that element of the storyline.
"O men, how long shall my honour be turned into shame?"
@alun_parker1987

Turned out nice again!

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:43 am

I am hopeful that they make a bit of a step-change in the gameplay, sounds like they plan to. I just wish they would drop the whole Animus bollocks, those sections are so fucking tedious and immersion breaking.

I agree with you though PaladinAl, I love the settings and also love ancient Egypt so will almost certainly bite when this is released. Mrs Snowy and I did a Nile cruise for our honeymoon and I went from being really interested in the period to completely in love with it. There is so much they can use from temples to tombs, pyramids to Petra (see what I did there ;)), but I think that given the scale of Egypt that they will have to take some massive liberties with the geography.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

PaladinAl

Postby PaladinAl » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Oh boy can't wait for them to trigger my autism like they did with the positioning of St Paul's in relation to Cannon Street station in Syndicate :lol:
"O men, how long shall my honour be turned into shame?"
@alun_parker1987

Turned out nice again!

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:39 pm

Well I preordered my copy last night making it the first game I've preordered or even bought in quite some time. With just over four weeks left until release this is going to be the one big release I'm most looking forward to. It's the renewed combat system that excites me most outside of the new RPG like elements simply because combat in AC became a travesty in later outings and always put me off buying. This new hit box based system however looks the absolute shit.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:02 pm

I am quite tempted by this, but the golden rule of "Don't pre-order a motherfucking thing" constrains me :D
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:45 pm

Not lighting any buttons with me. I've played all of these to some extent and came to mostly the same point where I felt sick of the icon spam. Gave up on each one without finishing. The pirate one was about the most interesting one for me but sheessh those icons were properly spammed in that too.

Just not my sort of game I suppose. I'll reserve a little judgement on this next one if it hits the right notes on reviews.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:03 pm

I played a little of this at EGX on Friday. Got to say, it's basically exactly the same game but with slightly better combat and a variety of tacked on RPG mechanics. Whilst they've improved the combat, they still didn't seem to have done much to innovate on the usual AC issues of dull as dishwater mission design.

It's almost like someone higher up the Ubi chain has said to them "Look, Dark Souls and the Witcher are really well regarded. Try and make the combat more like that and we'll see even bigger bucks." So they did that and then didn't really do much else.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:11 am

Did you manage to complete a full mission during play?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:22 pm

Mantis wrote:I played a little of this at EGX on Friday. Got to say, it's basically exactly the same game but with slightly better combat and a variety of tacked on RPG mechanics. Whilst they've improved the combat, they still didn't seem to have done much to innovate on the usual AC issues of dull as dishwater mission design.

It's almost like someone higher up the Ubi chain has said to them "Look, Dark Souls and the Witcher are really well regarded. Try and make the combat more like that and we'll see even bigger bucks." So they did that and then didn't really do much else.

That's a bit of a drag. I've still never completed Black Flag, as other than enjoy the ship bits I just lost the will to keep dragging myself through the story.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:15 pm

Prey wrote:Did you manage to complete a full mission during play?

I didn't, no. I got caught up trying out various bits that seemed new and then my time ran out and we all got ushered away for the next crowd.

Reminded me a bit of when we went to EGX 2012 and played Far Cry 3. I spent most of that demo climbing a radio tower and then jumped off just as the time ran out. -_-

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:59 pm

Ubisoft have announced free post content for all who purchase the game...

On release day, the Nomad’s Bazaar will be made available. Here, a wandering merchant will hand players daily quests to complete in order to earn “mysterious exotic rewards.”

Photo Mode will be included day-one, and will give players the opportunity to channel their inner National Geographic wildlife photographer. Here, players will snap shots of the Egyptian landscape and its varied flora and fauna. Players will also discover in-game pictures taken by other players.

The first Trials of the Gods event will go live 15 days post-launch. Here, players will participate in boss battles against Egyptian gods during special timed events. “Prestigious rewards” will handed down to those who succeed.

In early 2018, Horde Mode and the Discovery Tour will be released. The latter is the educational mode we told you about in late-September.

Horde Mode takes place in the Gladiator Arena, where as is normal will Horde Modes, players will face wave upon wave of enemies. Scores will be tallied along with the ability to challenge friends to beat one another’s scores asynchronously.

Official Specs:

MINIMUM CONFIGURATION

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-2400s @ 2.5 GHz or AMD FX-6350 @ 3.9 GHz or equivalent
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or AMD R9 270 (2048 MB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
SYSTEM RAM: 6GB
Resolution: 720p
Video Preset: Lowest

RECOMMENDED CONFIGURATION

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7- 3770 @ 3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 or AMD R9 280X (3GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
SYSTEM RAM: 8GB
Resolution: 1080p
Video Preset: High

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:17 pm

Just five days before release the price for the game on Steam has suddenly increased from £44.99 to £49.99 and people are not happy...

£44.99 is already too much. £49.99 is ridiculous. The worrying thing is you can actually find console games for cheaper than Steam PC prices these days Steam Store is just a complete rip off in the UK. Steam is definitely testing my patience when it comes to RRP prices, might be time to abandon Steam and target the cheapest competitor price elsewhere with different DRM activations.

It's not the £50 price I personally have a problem with, it's more that they've increased it just before release. The reason I didn't pre-order is because the last 2 AC games have ran terribly on PC and I'm not giving Ubisoft any money until I've seen evidence that the PC version works.

It feels like I am being punished for not pre-ordering and being sceptical of a company with a track record of poor PC versions of their games on launch.

Yes it's only a fiver but they should have listed it at that price in the summer, not do it 6 days before release.

Right now on Ubisoft store it's still £44.99 so your basically paying an extra £5 to have it on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/58216 ... d_Origins/

I always found the standard £39.99 to be fine but this is just getting out of hand now considering it is just the standard version too.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:51 pm

They did it for South Park as well. Went up from £40 to £50 on release.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:20 pm

I wish people would stop blaming Steam, Valve doesn't set the price of the games, publishers do.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action