Assassins Creed: Origins (Due 2017)

Shoot the shit.
DjchunKfunK

Assassins Creed: Origins (Due 2017)

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:47 pm

It's January so now is around the time when details for the next Assassins Creed game are leaked out.

So far it is claimed that the game is set in Ancient Egypt and will serve as a prequel to the series. The game world will be three times the size of Black Flag and will feature less recycled content from previous games in the series. In a reaction to the Unity debacle the game has been pushed back a year and will not see release until 2017. One source said that this is a strategy that Ubisoft may use going forward as they look to give the AC teams more room to make changes to the formula.

Other points:

-Being made by the Black Flag team
-Boats are back
-Combat to be more free-form
-Game will be first in a trilogy similar to what they did with Ezio

Taking a year off is a good thing, but I don't think we will see the real benefit of this until the game afterwards, if they stick to the every other year release schedule.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Prey
Admin

Re: Assassins Creed: Origins (Due 2017)

Postby Prey » Mon May 08, 2017 3:36 pm

Sources are saying that the new outing is officially named Assassin’s Creed: Origins. Assassin’s Creed: Oranges then just like the Batman outing.

Our sources suggest that Origins is a vast open world experience taking place in ancient Egypt. The story is rumoured to revolve around the original assassin’s guild and will feature two main characters - a man and a woman.

Its structure is said to be less linear, featuring a character progression system less tied to the story. A development source we spoke to compared it numerous times to Bethesda’s Skyrim. They say that impressions of the project internally are so far positive.

The game will apparently grant the player considerably more freedom, featuring a greater emphasis on exploration over previous entries in the series. One source tells us that this is the biggest Assassin’s Creed the company has ever created and is “huge” in scope. They say that it has been in development for “at least” several years now. Hopefully, it will benefit from this extended development cycle.

Not only is Origins rumoured to boast an explorable ancient Egypt, players will also apparently be able to go beyond it - possibly even as far as Greece. We were told that boats will return in the game, allowing the player to sail the Mediterranean. Naval combat, naturally, is also said to be included.

Another source linked with Ubisoft described to us an internal video they were shown of a teaser for Origins. It apparently began by showing scenes of Egypt, before transitioning between different periods and locations throughout history, including an Asian country, WW2 era France, and a modern day Abstergo Industries facility. It isn’t yet clear whether this video, a blend of gameplay footage and CGI, will be shown to the public in its current form.

Assassin’s Creed Origins is currently set to launch in fall 2017.

http://wwg.com/2017/05/06/next-assassin ... -origins/#

edit: New leaked image...

"Assassinate the Crocodile" mission, and includes the following text: "Follow Shadya to Khenut's villa." Khenut was a Queen of Egypt and the wife of King Unas who lived during the time of the Fifth dynasty of Egypt.

Source: EG
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon May 08, 2017 6:44 pm

An emphasis on exploration is only really going to work if they get rid of the enormous amount of clutter on the map and all the icons pointing you towards every piece of treasure and event.

This is one of Ubisoft's better franchises but they still lost me about four games ago. The changes really need to be heavy for it to feel fresh at this point. Here's hoping.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon May 08, 2017 6:52 pm

Last one I bought was the final Ezio game (Revelations?). I did play about 75% of Black Flag, but I got that free with a graphics card. Not played any of them since then.

Just fatigued with the franchise quite honestly.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 08, 2017 7:15 pm

The cities have always been the key for me with AC games, they were like a character in themselves and I loved exploring them. As soon as the game started to branch out from that I lost interest, so I don't really have much desire to play an AC game set in a massive openworld. Then it just becomes like all the other openworld games out there and neither the story or the combat is good enough to sustain that.

Tank

Postby Tank » Tue May 09, 2017 9:38 am

Whilst I have 0 interest in the franchise and the abhorrent company that produces it I have always felt AC has held itself back in terms of settings and locations.

I always thought one during WW1 would have been good, surviving the trenches whilst doing what you do. Or maybe prohibition era America. Sort of Boardwalk Empire territory. Or maybe be even braver and tackle the troubles era of Northern Ireland and the IRA/Terrorist bombings.

The franchise seems to want to weave itself into actual history which I do commend but it seems to pick eras based on what looks good rather than what might actually bolster the story and by proxy the game play.

Anyone ever play The Saboteur? That's the sort of direction AC should be heading for. Grim brooding McFarlane 90's esque characters perched on roof tops like a flamboyant Batman need to go the way of the macarena.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue May 09, 2017 4:38 pm

Mightily enjoyed the Saboteur, it must be said.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue May 09, 2017 4:45 pm

The leaked image has been confirmed as legit.

Bodes well doesn't it that there's a great big objective marker with '250m' written next to it in the corner and another one centre left saying 1300m. -_-

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Tue May 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Looking forward to this.

Look top left you'll see the mission objective is "Assassinate the crocodile"

Sold.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri May 12, 2017 11:11 am

Lots of juicy details have now emerged courtesy of industry insider Ummmlolwtf...

• The AC4 team is working on this. Ashraf Ismail is likely the game director and Darby McDevitt is likely the main writer.

• Ancient Egypt, supposedly in the Fifth Dynasty of the Old Kingdom (2494 to 2345 BC) if we go by the recent picture leak.

• The character has a shield, a spear and a bow.

• The game will feature naval gameplay (not naval combat though) and horse gameplay. Mirages are likely a part of the game as well.

• Someone in the game will be called “The Crocodile”

• There will be smaller gameplay segments taking place in the same setting but different time periods. • Perhaps this will be the modern day segments? Darby did say a long time ago the best way to do modern day is to reuse the historical assets in a modern context, akin to Brotherhood.

• Interiors are in the game (not surprising obviously)

• Combat is supposedly ‘freeform’, similar to Witcher 3. In fact the game itself has a ‘witcher’ feel to it.

• The world is seamless. You can go from water to land to city without a loading screen.

• Ubi will start their marketing campaign by the end of this month, with a full reveal at E3, including cinematic and gameplay trailers and gameplay demos.

• Desmond Miles will NOT be in the game.

• There will be a controllable pet eagle. I imagine this will be an interactive version of eagle vision.

• The game is roughly 3 times the size of AC4.

• Will likely release in October.

• Said to be very colourful, as evident somewhat in the picture.

• The game features Khenut, the Queen of Egypt during the Fifth Dynasty of the Old Kingdom, and is the wife of King Unas.

• The game will release on PS4, Xbox One and PC. It will NOT release on the Nintendo Switch

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed ... h=0bdb7629

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri May 12, 2017 12:27 pm

• The game is roughly 3 times the size of AC4.

So lots of space to fill with pointless busy work. Yay. :P

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri May 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Another huge game world that I won't see half of because it's easier to just fast travel everywhere and there's zero inclination to actually explore it. -_-

Looking forward to the reveal to see if they've actually addressed all the problems the franchise has. I'm not really getting my hopes up though.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:11 am

While visiting the development studio in Montreal, we spoke with game director Ashraf Ismail about how the new entry in the series is making some big changes to the classic combat formula. Veering more into action-RPG territory, Assassin's Creed Origins hopes to offer players more choice with their inventory and combat style.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... ombat.aspx

I have always said that the games combat in later outings has suffered massively since the likes of ACIII and so bringing the combat system back into the forefront again as one of the games actual highlights is truly music to my ears.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:26 am

I agree with that Dave. I have been revisiting my unfinished save on AC Syndicate (the London one) and the combat is so stupidly easy it takes away a lot of the challenge to the game.

Not so sure about the fast travel point made above - Ubi are becoming absolutely masterful at creating fabulous worlds, whether San Francisco of Watch Dogs 2 or Bolivia of Wildlands, the sandbox they give you is spectacular (you may not like the content, but the worlds are superb). Assuming that the in-game world is not just a huge identikit conurbation a la all the previous AssCreeds, which would make sense given the time period, they could create something truly special.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

PaladinAl

Postby PaladinAl » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:57 pm

It's going to be every bit as crap in the gameplay department as, oh, every single Ass Creed game. I'm gonna get it, mind. Love the settings they use and I get a major history boner for Ancient Egypt so I will get this when it's on cheap for PS4. Can't bloody stand uPlay, such a crock. I hope they manage to have more mission variety than in Syndicate which while fantastic due to being in Victorian London, it got real dull real quick doing those stronghold and kidnap missions which were the same thing over and over. That said I'd like if they kept said stronghold missions since that was proper fun beating the shit out of a little gang hideout.
"O men, how long shall my honour be turned into shame?"
@alun_parker1987

Turned out nice again!

Next

Return to FPS & Action