Watch Dogs 2 San Francisco in 2016?

Shoot the shit.
Subway Diet

Re: Watch Dogs 2 San Francisco in 2016?

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:28 am

Snowy wrote:This is out today isn't it? Where is our chirping canary - not lying dead on the floor of his cage I hope...
Wanted to finish up Inside first.
I'll report back later today!

Animalmother wrote:

:lol: :lol:
That fucking boglin at the end! :lol:
End of an Era

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:48 am

Can't find anything on if the game actually runs on AMD Phenom II processors anywhere and hovering over the buy button on Steam thanks to all the refunds I've had recently. The one upside being that unlike Mafia III which I never got to even play I will be able to get a full refund if there's no support for my CPU.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:53 am

Subway Diet wrote:
Snowy wrote:This is out today isn't it? Where is our chirping canary - not lying dead on the floor of his cage I hope...
Wanted to finish up Inside first.
I'll report back later today!

Animalmother wrote:

:lol: :lol:
That fucking boglin at the end! :lol:

That whole video was superb :lol:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:35 pm

Played a little. Easiest way to describe it: Imagine the first game had a senses of fun? Not "Saints Row" wacky, but less overtly miserable and with a cast of likeable characters.

We'll see how it shakes out, but it looks to be pulling an Assassin's Creed 2. :-k

Performance is alright. Fiddling with settings to get the best combinations of looks and frame rate. When has an open world game on PC ever not been a bit of a wreck? At least this can maintain 60+ for stretches of time :P
(I also forgot to reset my PC after installing the latest AMD drivers, so that might have some effect. Also, no DX12/Vulcan, so I expect the my RX 480 will underperform compared to most any mid-range Nvidia cards.)

Will probably go all in at the weekend, so further impressions might wait. But, if you want to hear what other people are saying: http://www.opencritic.com/game/2846/watch-dogs-2
End of an Era

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:23 pm

Working just fine for me (thank you gaming gods!) and yeah I very much agree that although I thought I'd dislike the much more light hearted tone it actually makes the world feel that much more vibrant and alive than the first ever did. It's basically what your offspring would look like if GTA fucked Saints Row and then had a three way with Splinter Cell.

Performance has been fine, not great or anything but nothing to complain about running on High at 1920x1080 and hitting 40-50fps. The step up the game has made in terms of fidelity and overall world design is almost staggering as it looks and feels like a habitable world now and not just a series of boring streets and crappy looking hillside areas, I'd say it is easily up there with GTA V in that particular aspect if not improved in some areas.

My main criticism so far has to be one thing - the damn camera. Why oh why can't I determine a prefixed camera when walking around or driving!? The shitty "auto cam" comes so far away from you when running around and especially driving it's almost like watching someone else play the fucking game as an out of body sodding experience. No in car view? No over the shoulder view for that added immersion factor? Seriously what the fuckity fuck?

LOVE the music element though as finally FINALLY someone has realised we actually LIKE TO LISTEN TO AND CONTROL OUR MUSIC ON THE GO WHILST WALKING AROUND NOT JUST IN A DAMN CAR! Yeah the actual tracks aren't much to write home about (so far) but you do have to discover them as you go about your travels.

So far I'm really liking Marcus and his rather passionate view of the world which means a fully connected world comes hand in hand with a much more corrupted one and it really hits home even more so in this day and age.

edit: Just checked on my Uplay rewards and found $15,000 dollars already unlocked. Nice.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:24 pm

That's the final nail for me. It works on Daves pc and he likes it.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:38 pm

I thought that Prey liking a game was usually a good indication that it was a bit naff?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:55 am

On the back of the wave of positive reviews, and liking the first one, I have also strapped on my canary wings and taken the plunge. Wasn't able to play for long as have knackered my back so am not allowed to sit for any length of time, but had a few short sessions.

Very early days, but graphically it is very nice. Had it running at Ultra to begin with, but got some stutter once into the open world so dropped to Very High, which is still very nice. I will tweak it further to get to the perfect balance of eye candy and performance, but perfectly playable as is.

Early impressions are very good, although I have decided to play it on Realistic (the hardest level) and mistakes involving anyone with a gun end in your very rapid death. The intro mission was in danger of turning into an exercise in frustration, as I kept getting spotted, reinforcements called, and eventually outflanked and killed over and over - the AI seems pretty decent in this regard, very aggressive and they actively look to flank you. Thankfully in the end I realised that the staircase out of the intro mission was basically looped down each level so I just sprinted and ignored the guards, and made it to the exit point with very little difficulty.

SF looks lovely - I had driven onto the Golden Gate bridge before I realised that was what it was, and seeing the city hove into view through the mist was very nice. As Dave points out, the camera is a bit ballhang, with it seemingly unwilling to settle on a neat over the shoulder view and then let you shift the perspective with the mouse before settling back, a la GTA. I think the mouse controls are going to need some love, as what I like as the sensitivity for running around on-foot makes for nausea when in a vehicle.

Oh, the characters. I am yet to be won over by the collection of geeks I'm afraid. I did a mission to effectively steal KITT from knight rider, and doing something so daft made my fully lethal approach feel a bit off. Was I really headshotting guards and remotely blowing them up just to mess with a TV studio? Also not a fan of the dayglo weapons, they look like starter airsoft guns - I like my gunnage to look like gunnage! Ah well, early days, maybe I will warm to that side...

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:05 am

Am I the only one who hates the driving model? After playing way too much GTAV jumping into a car in this actually does feel like going back to playing the likes of Saints Row 2, cars handle like crap and IMHO the cars in the original game looked and handled miles better which is an odd step back. Every car in the world just looks like a toy with rather odd proportions and the cars themselves are seriously lacking in detail for some odd reason even on High settings.

Then there's the bugs. If the game was held back for two weeks to iron out the typical open world bugathon they obviously missed a few. So far I have experienced the following...

Upon entering a car show room every car inside the building started bouncing up and down violently
While attempting to stealth a restricted area one of the enemies that I was just about to shoot down at the beach suddenly and somewhat inexplicably fell through the map and his red outline disappeared into the under map dark abyss below
There's literally people floating everywhere if you look around the map enough and also one time at band camp I mean while getting into a car Marcus started floating up into the air
Inside a coffee shop I decided to partake in a cup of joe when upon trying to exit the building a man was stuck with his head firmly inside the doorway and I couldn't get back outside
During a particularly heavy cop chase I activated one of the exploding pot holes only to see two cops cars launch about 50ft into the air and they never came back down again

The funniest one by far though was when I stopped to pet a dog in a park and as I bent down to do so the dog reacted as if it were just shot out of a cannon ricocheting off a wall and into a nearby person killing them instantly :lol: I almost pissed myself with laughter.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:11 am

Prey wrote:The funniest one by far though was when I stopped to pet a dog in a park and as I bent down to do so the dog reacted as if it were just shot out of a cannon ricocheting off a wall and into a nearby person killing them instantly :lol: I almost pissed myself with laughter.

Man, I hate it when that happens. :lol:

Encouraged by your reports, but will probably only end up getting this in a future sale, by which time the bugs will be fixed, I guess.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:07 pm

Not had much in the way of funnies (or any bugs really), although I have had one random occurrence which made me chuckle.

I was trying to work out how to get to a power-up when I heard sirens - I was immediately worried that the remotely controlled forklift I had been manoeuvring around had squashed someone or somehow drawn attention to me, but no, it was the rozzers come to arrest an NPC. I stood and watched, quite impressed as the whole arrest sequence played out. Once the perp (I missed whatever he had done) was cuffed, one peeler chucked him in the back of the patrol car and hopped into the driver's seat. His companion was walking to the passenger seat when filth #1 floored it and hooned off, leaving him stranded. Not to be dissuaded, he immediately took off at a sprint after his mate, off onto a bridge and out of sight.

Must have been a great collar for them!

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:34 am

Running around randomly last night and just happened to come across a group of friends all stood together chatting when all of a sudden the female of the group shouted out "Why should I care about some dead n*gger?".

I am playing Mafia III after all.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:25 pm

There is an awful lot of very clever stuff in this game.

I have spent a lot of my research on being able to identify individuals as wanted by the police or as targets of gang hits - this lets me cause all manner of chaos with lots of anthill-poking when I am looking to get into places.

Today (I am signed off work, drugged up to the eyeballs, with a horrible back problem) I was building a new coil for my vape while Marcus hung around on the street. While he was there, a prostitute propositioned me, then had another potential customer walk up, have a chat, and the two of them got into the guys car and drove off. Another guy marked as high value walked by, so I stopped what I was doing and hacked his bank account. In doing so I found that he was a paedophile, so marked him as wanted by a gang. Within a few seconds, a car pulled up, two heavy hitters got out, and gunned the little sicko down. I stood there and watched. The gang bangers hopped into their car and drove off. Shortly after an ambulance came up, and paramedics ran to the downed guy, pronouncing him dead. Two police cars came racing in, one copper coming over the the paramedic and stood guard while the paramedic photographed the corpse then pulled out a clipboard and started writing. The other police started searching the area, guns drawn.

Really impressive stuff, just for me making one single action - usually I wouldn't stick around to see how it played out.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:29 pm

Is It Worth A Buy

Spoiler: show
Thumps Up

The YouTube embedded link is not working for me now (can someone fix it ?)
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:56 pm

You need to put the basic code in the tags without any of the time markers or anything.

Fixed it.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action