Battlefield 1 - Out Now

Shoot the shit.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: Battlefield 1 - Out Now

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:57 pm

Jez wrote:I could go on.... :)

Please feel free to do so :)

I will try Conquest tonight then - I have enjoyed what I have played but wondered last night at the longevity of it for me, how long I will play the headless chicken game before I tire of it. If there is another means to learn the game I am all for it :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:21 pm

I find that attack and defend maps are better for when you're getting to grips with the various aspects of the game as they provide relatively clear battle lines to fight across. Conquest is usually just a total cluster fuck of teams zerging in circles around one another, making it so much harder to know which direction you can safely run without being popped in the noggin by an enemy sniper.

Some of the maps in this game are far better than others when it comes to having safe paths to cross between points. The whole climb out of a trench and immediately die thing doesn't ever really go away. That's why I tend to stick to the Operations mode.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:29 pm

I will see how I get on with it then. I like the setting and have the whole campaign to play through, so will get more life from it. I don't get much enjoyment from PvP shooters generally these days though, so can't say how much time I will spend on the multiplayer.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:24 pm

you'll have "one of those" games at some point Snowy and it will just click and feel brilliant. I feel differently to Mantis on the mode thing - the attack defend ones are fine but can be very demoralising when you are on the end of the stick all the time. Conversely of course if you are the one doing the sticking however.

I just find Conquest gives options, if a point is busy with people and I don't feel confident I can make a choice to go elsewhere - in Attack/Defend you have only the one option - Forward.

Next Tip -
ALWAYS, ALWAYS be in squad. There are loads of advantages - more score, more options for spawning, - dont be loyal either though - if a squad is playing shit i whore around until i find one thats doing stuff together.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:40 pm

Yeah that's what I am hoping Jez. I put SO many hours into 1942, and while many of them were tedious man-shoots there were those moments where the game just sang which made it so much more.

I have yet to get one of those - my games (few admittedly) have been 100% defeats which when coupled with the often arbitrary 'poke your head up and die' - something I have never seen so much of in a shooter as this one, though granted my experience of PvP shooters is about 10 years out of date - isn't encouraging.

Am not throwing in the towel yet though, will be back on it this evening to see if I can't find the hook.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:46 pm

Just like anything mate you'll get to know the knack and the maps over time. The map helps also to see where people are. It's 70 % situational awareness. 20 % skill and 10 luck.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:46 pm

Funnily enough, the mountain Operation we were playing yesterday, Ian, turned right around after you called it a night and we ended up having some pretty fantastic standoffs over a bunker before beating back all three enemy attack waves consecutively. :lol:

It can be quite demoralising when you get steamrolled but I think that happens regardless of whatever mode you play, thankfully it's not the most common occurrence in my experience so far. With the Operations mode each scenario generally has two totally separate maps, with each map containing 4 or 5 sections to attack, each section having an A, B and usually C point to take/defend. You usually find that the first few sections are heavily weighted in the attackers favour, so you get steamed through until you hit your last line of defence for that map, then you hold out for numerous waves in a row. I think the gameplay benefits a lot from having more focused objectives to push players towards.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:03 pm

Mantis wrote:Funnily enough, the mountain Operation we were playing yesterday, Ian, turned right around after you called it a night and we ended up having some pretty fantastic standoffs over a bunker before beating back all three enemy attack waves consecutively. :lol:

You know why right Dave? You are just being kind and not overtly saying so :lol:

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:33 pm

Another tip.

Support - Don't burst fire Support weapons (LMG). They become more accurate over time as you shoot especially after the first few shots. Always use a bipod if there's one equipped just be mindful of irritating snipers when you do so. Some LMG don't have a bipod.

Medic - in the early game, aim to unlock the Mondragon Storm variant. It's a really solid 10 round medic rifle that has a good rate of fire and hold up well firing from the hip also.

Watch that HUD setting video I posted by westie above. Those settings are very useful indeed.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:39 pm

All my weapons have been reset and the classes now ranked at 0 from the customise screen. In game I seem to ok, fucking pain in the arse :x This used to happen a lot in BF4 after an update as well.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:53 pm

It'll be the server you are on causing the problem. It's usually very temporary.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:13 pm

I made a wee platoon for us to join might help getting into games and such.

It's called PreysWorldForum (PWF)

You can find the platoon section on the main game screen down the left hand side it's sort of a squared of triangle shaped icon.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:04 am

:(

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:40 am

Silly console refugee. :lol:

I wouldn't worry AM I can't imagine the platoon will struggle for space somehow :lol:

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:31 am

Jez wrote:I made a wee platoon for us to join might help getting into games and such.

It's called PreysWorldForum (PWF)

You can find the platoon section on the main game screen down the left hand side it's sort of a squared of triangle shaped icon.

Applied :)

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action