Paladins: Champions of the Realm- New game from High Rez

Shoot the shit.
DjchunKfunK

Paladins: Champions of the Realm- New game from High Rez

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:39 pm

High Rez Studios have revealed that they are working on a new team-based online shooter called Paladins: Champions of the Realm. The studio say that the game will mix third person shooting with capture the flag style gameplay and stat boosting collectable cards(which sounds a bit like Dirty Bomb) and the pace of TF2.

The game is coming to PC as well as Xbox and PS4 next year and will be playable for the first time at Gamescom. These guys obviously have pedigree in the online shooter arena in the form of Tribes so it will be interesting to see how this stacks up. Right now though it is looking very much like Overwatch with Wildstar's graphical stylings.

Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Re: Paladins: Champions of the Realm- New game from High Rez

Postby Mantis » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:12 pm

Considering that they completely messed Tribes up with a series of patches that diminished the playerbase before they abandoned it completely, can't say I have much faith in this developer.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:39 am

So this is decent I guess? Its TF2s Payload mode mixed with a few little moba touches. Its kind of fun. If you dont want to pay for a full price game this could be your Overwatch. Theres a couple of different modes that are variations on the one theme but I think it needs a bunch more to have longevity. It is early though so it can be forgiven for lack of modes and characters for that matter.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:30 am

So this went into Open Beta and I've played a few matches and these are my thoughts so far.

It feels like a cross between Overwatch and Battleborn.You have your skills like in Overwatch and it's a straight shooter so the map I played was a variation on TF2 Payload, but the first person to get to the point and hold it spawned the payload for their side and then the opposition becomes the defender.

However you also collect 'cash' throughout the game which allows you to buy an upgrade at the start of each round. 'Cash' comes from kills and objectives. On top of that you have your card loadout which you choose before the game starts once you have selected the character you want. The heroes are a mix of TF2, Overwatch and DOTA 2 it seems.

The big thing it has over Battleborn is it is a lot more readable, you can tell what enemies are casting and like Overwatch each Ult has a sound cue.

Overall I think it could be pretty good fun for a quick blast and like eVol said if you don't have Overwatch it's a pretty good free alternative with it's own unique twists.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Return to FPS & Action