Ghost Recon: Wildlands (2016)

Shoot the shit.
Jez

Re: Ghost Recon: Wildlands (2016)

Postby Jez » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:18 pm

It doesn't seem to be quite as bad as other games they have made in that respect but it's definitely there Subby. Now we have only had one smallish region unlocked in the map as a whole so who's to know what the rest is. For me playing solo and I might get shot for this...it felt not unlike far cry 2.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:32 pm

There is definitely a whiff of that, and they have some work still to do with optimisation and vehicle handling and the like. I have taken the plunge, but then I enjoy games where I get to write the story and follow my own whims, plus it is stunning looking. I also have regular co-op buddies which will be a help. In co-op it absolutely shines, no question. The SP element feels weaker.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Yep. Coop with Phil last night was fun. I'd imagine having 4 guys all going about the missions would be great.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:24 pm

I mentioned this in the stream chat last night, but it looks like it'd be a lot more fun to whack the difficulty up to max and then go on-foot only for everything. The vehicle physics look totally naff and it'd also feel a lot more like the Ghost Recon of old if you had to hoof it cross country for everything.

Otherwise it looks a little too much like 4 player Just Cause.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:47 pm

Say one thing about it. The guns are good. They are the star of the show, lots of customisation and very satisfying to use. Appears to have realistic bullet drop and there's a nice ttthhhuummmmppp when the round hits home on an unsuspecting target.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:29 pm

I have been quite enjoying helo extracting, but yes putting down a little way from the objective and moving in, especially flanking it with helo jumps, would be superb.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:37 pm

Is the coop, coop in the single player campaign? Assuming there is a single player campaign.
Just once I want radiation to turn something into a giant fluffy bunny, instead of the Grand Poobah of all Mirelurks.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:04 pm

Yes it's seamless in and out of game as long as you have turned it on in settings. When no human player is with you 3 (could be 4) bots join you with the collective AI intelligence of a gnats fart.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:57 am

Jez wrote:Yes it's seamless in and out of game as long as you have turned it on in settings. When no human player is with you 3 (could be 4) bots join you with the collective AI intelligence of a gnats fart.

And pathfinding abilities on a par with those of an old lady driver.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Jez wrote:When no human player is with you 3 (could be 4) bots join you with the collective AI intelligence of a gnats fart.

So despite all the money now available (budget wise) for game devs, they still haven't improved that side then? Wasn't it Diakatana (May 2000) that was the first single player game to have A.I. bots to help out? That's quite a sad state of affairs isn't it.

Still, when I have time and some spare cash I will have to get this. I played the original one in coop with my brother, way back in the day.
Just once I want radiation to turn something into a giant fluffy bunny, instead of the Grand Poobah of all Mirelurks.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:19 pm

gpa-gone-west wrote:
Jez wrote:When no human player is with you 3 (could be 4) bots join you with the collective AI intelligence of a gnats fart.

So despite all the money now available (budget wise) for game devs, they still haven't improved that side then? Wasn't it Diakatana (May 2000) that was the first single player game to have A.I. bots to help out? That's quite a sad state of affairs isn't it.

Still, when I have time and some spare cash I will have to get this. I played the original one in coop with my brother, way back in the day.

Aye, that's my experience anyway which I'll caveat by saying it was only solo for maybe 30mins. They were garbage. At one point I'd managed to leap a 4 foot fence and they couldnt figure out how to get to me

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:11 pm

My advice would be to not get this unless you know you are going to be able to play coop with someone. I think I might pick it up in a few months for some coop shenanigans once it has dropped in price.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:36 pm

Same here Dj. Sale item buts it's a close thing.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:29 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:My advice would be to not get this unless you know you are going to be able to play coop with someone. I think I might pick it up in a few months for some coop shenanigans once it has dropped in price.

My Son and I always played coop games together. The Rainbow Six and SWAT games in particular. So we would certainly want to do this game together.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:06 am

So anyone who missed out 1st time around or wants to see more, the GR: Wildlands open beta is now available for pre-load via uPlay.

Beta runs from 23rd to 27th March.

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action