Ghost Recon: Wildlands (2016)

Shoot the shit.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: Ghost Recon: Wildlands (2016)

Postby Snowy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:47 am

Grab me when I am online at some point mate, I will help you with it.

Having human spotters working with you makes the mission much easier.

On the DLC, well new content is fine with me. I am really not sure about racing missions though, they don't work at all in the context of the game for one thing, but more significantly the vehicle handling is horrendous for ground vehicles and planes. Helicopter controls are ridiculous as well, but you can at least rewire your brain to zip around like a daredevil in them.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks Uplay Easter Egg hunt! :mrgreen:
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Nice one Dave :)

Back on if you up for round 2?

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:25 am

Sorry for the no show man had a bit of a family thing happen. I shall be about later today though in full Unidad attire no less.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:23 am

Let me know a rough time mate and will be on.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:38 am

Trust Ubisoft to patch and then completely fuck up the one game I've had zero issues with since buying. Constant 100% CPU usage since updating whereas 2.0 was at 60-70 tops.

Solitaire

Postby Solitaire » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Anyone playing this evening? I'm 8 hours behind you all, here in Arizona :) I'll check in here later, and will be online in uplay this morning.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:25 pm

Me :)

Solitaire

Postby Solitaire » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Snowy wrote:Me :)

That was freakin awesome, guys :D

Had a blast. Still learning the game mechanics, obviously. It plays more like a Just Cause co-op than GR or GRAW, but it's great fun with you guys. Also, my laptop is getting on five years old now so it's about as ugly as can be on lowest settings :( I'll need to figure out how to upgrade this thing.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Buy a desktop ya cheap ass :)

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:49 am

Solitaire wrote:It plays more like a Just Cause co-op than GR or GRAW, but it's great fun with you guys.

It does play a bit Just Cause, although we were pretty clumsy last night. The mission where you and I sneaked into the UNIDAD base was stealth personified though.

The first thing to know is that the enemies respond very aggressively to anything untoward. On the minimap, you get indicators that tell you whether it is about to get hairy.
- If the minimap is just shown as-is, with no wording, then you are undetected

- If you do something to arouse the interest of the enemy, this may change to 'Suspected' in grey lettering above the minimap. This might be an enemy has heard you, seen you (but not positively identified you), seen a body (but not positively identified it as a body), heard a shot or bullet impact. Depending on what has caused them to be suspicious, you might choose to hit the dirt and stay out of sight until the suspicious indicator goes, or you may have to take action (e.g. an enemy is headed towards the body of another you have just killed - you will need to take him out before he positively IDs his fallen comrade).

- If you get made, or a body is spotted and positively ID'd, or a bullet misses its target and impacts close by, the enemy in question will be alerted and your minimap indicator will change to an orange surround and become Hunted. Here you have a tiny window of opportunity - only the alerted individual is on to you but they will immediately radio in a distress call, which will alert all surrounding enemies. If you can clip them before they make this call, you will be safe, but that will not happen very often. While hunted, the enemy will be on a heightened state of alert, and will move by various routes to investigate your last location.

If there are alarm towers, often the alarm will be sounded which will call in helicopter support to try to find and kill you. This can be pre-empted by shooting the little boxes under the speakers of the alarm, or by switching off or destroying the generator powering the area.

You can wait out Hunted status, but they do not calm down for quite some time. Also they are far faster spotting you, so the status will often shift to...

- Engaged. Basically what it says on the tin - you are in a firefight. This is where we ended up a lot last night, because we were taking enemies out where their friends could see. At this point, the options are to run, come in from another direction and hope for the best, or break out the chunter cannons and let rip.

If you go full frontal, the Sicarios will often call in support from Technicals and helicopters. UNIDAD are tougher, as they have an increasing threat level (purple chevrons in the top right of the HUD) similar to the GTA wanted stars - the more chevrons, 4 being the top, the more they will send against you. UNIDAD are tougher as they are better armoured, heavily armed, and bring attack helicopters to the fight as well as armoured vehicles.

--------------------

So - stealth is possible, but takes work. It is immensely rewarding when you pull it off though. Dave does add a level of challenge, as he plays with no HUD. This means that he does not benefit from the indicators listed above making detection a bit more likely.
Last edited by Snowy on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:56 am

I did feel like we rushed it too much last night and due to this it wasn't the experience perhaps Todd was hoping for with us finally back together. Snowy and I have had nights such as that before were every attempt goes pear shaped and the game just completely rains down holy hell on us constantly but there have been other times were we have been the Ghosts of old - precise, methodical, slow paced and deadly and our best laid plans have come off without a hitch. Nothing feels better.

I do get the Just Cause reference but that only comes about from adjusting to both the open world environment and the need to get to other locations via say a chopper because once it's boots on the ground it's a whole different ball game and how you manage those first few moments are massively important.

No doubt we will try again together and we will have the experience we all know we have within us as a co-op based group. It will be worth the wait.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:56 pm

I've been on my hols all week so haven't been on much, mainly co-op with my son on The Division which is still fun to level up in.

I'll try to have a few more goes on Wildlands to take down the rascally henchmen. Like Snowy, I'll try to kill every single grunt before tackling big bad boss.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:32 pm

Narco Road DLC. As Peaver so succinctly put it, less fun than a sandpaper handjob.

What in the seven hells were they thinking? Take every single element of stealth and tactics and replace it with dudebro crap and awful 'extreeeeeme' missions. No more picking your path, taking your objectives as you see fit, no, now there are shitty guitar riffs as you drift corners and jump jumps, 'quick blow up X up fast before Y happens'.

Utter ballhang, made worse by the fact that you don't even keep your character with all the skills and loadout you have worked to amass, no you start afresh, on a 'new' 3-zone map...
-...only it is a reskin of 3 zones of the original map.
- The new weapons are not new weapons, they are existing weapons with a new skin.
- Your AI squadmates have been removed, now you are on your own, but now there are enemy vehicles that spot you in the blink of an eye every 200 yards, so you are constantly in combat but whilst driving have no means of fighting off the enemy.
- Likewise the landscape is now peppered with SAM sites which will lock onto you constantly, meaning air travel is virtually impossible. Smacks to me of artificially extending the time it takes to play the additional content.
- It isn't even an expansion, it is a bolt-on (feels more like a strap-on from my perspective)

Allow me to continue ranting.

Progress is now not down to finding intel to unlock missions, everything is laid out except the three 'boss' missions. How do you unlock them? Work through other missions? No - do enough drifts, jumps, or flying through coloured markers to gain Twitter followers. Get enough Twitter followers, and the bosses are happy to talk to you.

Planes, the most stable of the vehicles in the vanilla game, are now 'stunt planes' and completely uncontrollable.

I mentioned that the missions are not made with stealth in mind - how about this: they actively prevent it. One mission had me attacking a Unidad base, and in the briefing I am told "By the way, I like explosions, so no sneaking about". Screw that, I thought, and went about stealthily working through the base. I get half way through when he pipes up again with "I told you I like explosions" at which point something blows up in the base, instantly causing a massive alert and the heavily armed Unidad troops converging on my location like bees to honey. I quit to desktop in disgust at that point.

Ballhang, ballhang, ballhang. How could this possibly have seemed a good idea to anyone? It is like making a turn-based strategy game and adding a FPS bolt-on to it. It feels like they were making content for The Crew or Watch Dogs and accidentally added it to the wrong game.
Last edited by Snowy on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Solitaire

Postby Solitaire » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:12 pm

Prey wrote:
I do get the Just Cause reference but that only comes about from adjusting to both the open world environment and the need to get to other locations via say a chopper because once it's boots on the ground it's a whole different ball game and how you manage those first few moments are massively important.

No doubt we will try again together and we will have the experience we all know we have within us as a co-op based group. It will be worth the wait.

Yeah Dave that's the only thing I was referencing, that the open world and stealing vehicles stuff feels like JC. It's not over-the-top other stuff :)

And once I get a headset so we can all talk to one another it will be much better. I'm just doing stuff to keep the game going at this point, because I feel like I'm holding you guys back otherwise due to having to type every single thing. I'll buy a headset today while I'm up in Tucson running errands! And then we can reform PW Ghosts for real - you'll have to put up with my American accent again haha! :mrgreen:

PS: Thanks for all the tips, Snowy! It's great fun being back in-game with you guys!

PreviousNext

Return to FPS & Action